Elliptical Training Buddies

Options

Replies

• yeahbuddy
    yeahbuddy Posts: 409
    Options
    Last night I did a level 6 on the cross ramp with 11 resistence. I am 44 (45 on the 10th) and 159 (boo not using the scale for our challenge:mad: ). I do use a HRM but it doesn't have a chest strap. It's a MIO sport and it seems to be pretty accurate. It uses the pulse rate in your first two fingers to assess your heart rate (at least that's how I think it works).
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Well.I dont know. It seems that we weigh about the same, and burn about the same... That could be a big thing.. I know my best friend almost weighs 2x what I do, and she burns double everytime we walk...
    Options
    I did the Elliptical for 25 minutes today and burned 695 cals. Today was an off day for me but thats okay because I will be going to the gym after work tommorrow.
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    Last night I did a level 6 on the cross ramp with 11 resistence. I am 44 (45 on the 10th) and 159 (boo not using the scale for our challenge:mad: ). I do use a HRM but it doesn't have a chest strap. It's a MIO sport and it seems to be pretty accurate. It uses the pulse rate in your first two fingers to assess your heart rate (at least that's how I think it works).

Day 2 for me this week - I burned 815 calories, after 60 minutes, at level 6 and 7.

Hi yeahbuddy,

I don't know why you aren't burning more either. I am 45 ... 46 on the 2nd ...

I've never had my machine to 11 and don't even know if it goes that high so maybe your machine is different "levels" than the rest of ours??

I love the reminder (from someone above) to go backwards and forwards. I change direction every 5 minutes.
  • osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow! Impressive time spent on the ET. I have never spent longer than 15 minutes as I like to mix up my cardio routine. Although I'm wondering now whether what I think an ET is, is the same as what you are all using? There is nothing like an incline option on the one I use at the gym?

For me 10mins = 100cals. I clearly need to work a bit harder to get your numbers!
  • yeahbuddy
    yeahbuddy Posts: 409
    Options

Day 2 for me this week - I burned 815 calories, after 60 minutes, at level 6 and 7.

Hi yeahbuddy,

I don't know why you aren't burning more either. I am 45 ... 46 on the 2nd ...

I've never had my machine to 11 and don't even know if it goes that high so maybe your machine is different "levels" than the rest of ours??

I love the reminder (from someone above) to go backwards and forwards. I change direction every 5 minutes.

I'm using a Precor at the gym. I've used two different types of ellipticals and still get the same calorie burn. Admittedly, I don't use a HRM with a chest strap but the one I have says it's not needed. I just bought a new one to do a comparison thinking maybe there is something wrong with my other one. So, I'm going to test them both tonight and see if they match.
    Options
    Saturday 30th.
    I did my 45 minutes on the Elliptical burned almost 950 cals and the rest of my workout I had burned another 491 for a total of 1441 cals burned:bigsmile:
  • wannaBme
    Options
    Day 3 for me this week ... Where DOES the time go ??
    840 calories in 61 minutes

My self challenge is to do the Elliptical 4 times 60 minute next week, then weights & core on the other days.

PS ~~ To those starting out ... when i first purchased my Elliptical I could only do 15-20 minutes on level 1 and burnt around 200 calories, so HANG IN THERE ... it gets easier because your heart and body get fitter.
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    Did the elliptical today. I bought a new HRM (a Sportline without a chest strap) because I wanted to see if my other one was working right. I was going to wear them both and compare but forgot to. I wore the sportline and it showed that I burned 1,048 calories in 60 minutes (plus 5 minutes cool down). That's more like the numbers everyone else seems to be putting up so I think my other one is wrong. Also, my heart rate from the HRM and the one on the machine were withing 2-3 beats everytime I checked. I'm going to try wearing them both tomorrow and get a comparison.
  • sromeo18
    Options
    Hello all. I am very new to this website, ellipticals (exercise equip in general) and healthy eating. When i used m elliptical for 30min it says im only burning like 230calories and my heart rate is at like 145-155. Now if i was to burn 1000calories in exercise does that mean i need to eat 1000more calories so my body doesnt go into starvation mode or i just stick with eating my 1200 calories per day i start with?

Sorry like i said im VERY new!
  • mrsvstol
    mrsvstol Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've found that the fitness calculator in this site shows my "calories burned" a little high. I use shape.com
    and it is more in line with my heart rate monitor. 45 min elliptical moderate effort=425 calories.
  • wannaBme
    Options
    Session 2 of 4 for me
    Elliptical 60 minutes ... level 7 ... 810 calories
    While watching Bobby Flay on Iron Chef America :laugh:
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    I did the ET again with my new HRM. 60 minutes at a 6 cross ramp and 9 resistence. Burned 1000 cals. So much better than my other HRM but now I'm wondering if 1000 is too much.
  • wannaBme
    Options
    I did the ET again with my new HRM. 60 minutes at a 6 cross ramp and 9 resistence. Burned 1000 cals. So much better than my other HRM but now I'm wondering if 1000 is too much.

Too much to burn in one session? ... or you think it's not reading right?
    My husband goes harder than I do and he burns a 1000 in 60 minutes.
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    Yeah, sorry. Not reading right.. I still need to compare it with my other one. I just hope that I'm not eating tmore than I should be based on the new HRM calorie burn:noway:
  • wannaBme
    Options
    Day 3 of 4 for me
    69:30 minutes to burn 1000 calories ... man that's tough !!!
    On the plus side the first 30 minutes are getting easier
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have been a bad girl about exercising this last week. Tonight I did 45 minutes + Cardio Level 1 = 600 calories in the dust.

I have a 1000 calorie deficit after all of the exercise I have done today.

Wanda
  • wannaBme
    Options
    I did 4 of 4 this morning ...
    60 minutes on the Elliptical - Level 7 & 8 - forward & backwards every 10 minutes - 905 calories

I think I will get on again tomorrow which will be the first time in EVER that I have workout 5 days in one week !!!
  • wannaBme
    Options
    I've found that the fitness calculator in this site shows my "calories burned" a little high. I use shape.com
    and it is more in line with my heart rate monitor. 45 min elliptical moderate effort=425 calories.

I found that too, but I just changed the numbers to match my elliptical monitor for the amount of time I was on it. Then today, I *exceeded* the calories for the time I was on the trainer, so must mean I am getting more fit ?!?.. once again I changed the numbers to match my monitor.
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Night before last I did the cardio setting, level 1, 60 minutes, 3.17 miles, just a little over 900 calories..... That is my highest burn to date!!!!

Didn't go last night. Going again today though.