HIIT before or after lifting?

Options
I'm doing 25 minutes of HIIT 3x a week. Lifting 4x a week. Would you recommend doing HIIT before or after lifting?

Thanks

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you are doing them the same day and your goal is to gain weight you should put lifting first. If you're just doing HIIT and lifting for weight loss do whichever you want first. If you do a real HIIT session you shouldn't be able to lift after.

If you are doing them on different days you should alternate them.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I would typically put any lifting before any sort of cardio. From a safety standpoint, you want to be freshest when you have weights on your back or over your head.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I would typically put any lifting before any sort of cardio. From a safety standpoint, you want to be freshest when you have weights on your back or over your head.

pretty much this ^

if you're spent from HIIT training, your lifting form might suffer; poor form (as we all know) can lead to injury.

To the OP: Best of Luck

The only time I tackled cardio before weight training was when I was training for a marathon and the running was the true focus of my training. The lifting supplemented the running. At that time, my weight training wasn't heavy, like it is today, so I wasn't worried about injury.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    ...If you do a real HIIT session you shouldn't be able to lift after...

^ That's the true takeaway message. If you're doing true HIIT (which most people aren't), you should be pretty thrashed after the workout. If you have enough left in the tank afterwards to lift, what you just did probably wasn't HIIT.

I also second doing HIIT on off days from weight training. And realize that it will probably impair your recovery from weight training to some degree, because the demands placed upon the body/CNS by HIIT and weight training are very similar.

This can't be reiterated sufficiently... done correctly HIIT and "weightlifting" have similar benefit, and similar drain on the body.

With a "heavy" lifting session, you might have 15-20 second Time under tension and 2-10 minutes rest/recovery. with HIIT, you're doubling your work time and decreasing your rest time. It seems "easier" at the time because it's typically body weight or other "light" work.

With a heavy lifting session your total work time may be 120-180 seconds(at the most) More likely 75-90 seconds

With HIIT, your work time will be 600-900 seconds.

Bottom line is if you're lifting correctly, and HIITing correctly, you won't be able to do them in the same session(and probably not in the same day) and if you do one or the other every day, within 6-8 weeks, you'll start to see consequences.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I am never able to do them both effectively in the same day. If I do any cardio after lifting, it's low intensity, there's no way in hell I can do HIIT after leg workout
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am not doing it accurate at all

I am doin 3 minutes slow 2 minutes medium 1 all of sprint. Rinse repeat for 25 mins. Not HIIT?

I'm also at a weeks stage. I don't need to lose weight but I want to get toned and Lean hence lifting is very important so I'm not a stick figure. But I also don't want any flab in areas.

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Not HIIT..... But OK to do after lifting...
  • stanmann571
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »

I am doin 3 minutes slow 2 minutes medium 1 all of sprint. Rinse repeat for 25 mins. Not HIIT?

I'm also at a weeks stage. I don't need to lose weight but I want to get toned and Lean hence lifting is very important so I'm not a stick figure. But I also don't want any flab in areas.

on a treadmill, or outside??

It might be HIIT, it probably isn't..
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    HIIT and cardio is more effective after burning stores of blood sugar and glycogen when lifting. Lift to deplete the blood sugar so that your cardio sessions will be more effective at burning fat as a fuel.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »

Interval training.... Not HIIT. I'd do it after weights personally
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT and I have nothing left to lift afterwards. I also don't know if I would want to lift heavy before HIIT. I guess I didn't help you very much :)
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Personally I think HIIT (real HIIT, not Marketing Dept. HIIT) and heavy weight training are a really poor match.
    Both put stress on your body and both need recovery time.

Do them alternate days and where's the recovery time?
    Do them in the same workout period and whatever you do second has been compromised by what you did first - where's the quality of training?

Should question yourself what exactly are you hoping to gain from your workouts, what's your priority?
    What should you do to maximise the benefits of your workouts in relation to your goals.
    The difference in mind-set between "exercising" and "training" if you like.

I agree, your goals are important.

But what's wrong with doing HIIT post workout? What does it matter the actual speed you are going so long as your heart rate reaches a specified zone? Doesn't really matter if you are sprinting at 12mph pre-lift/off lifting day, or going 10.5mph post workout, if your heart rate still reaches the same levels.

HIIT for weight loss isn't about setting new speeds and getting faster, its about getting your heart rate to a specified level. If you are training for performance, obviously it's different.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    Personally I think HIIT (real HIIT, not Marketing Dept. HIIT) and heavy weight training are a really poor match.

Do them in the same workout period and whatever you do second has been compromised by what you did first - where's the quality of training?

Should question yourself what exactly are you hoping to gain from your workouts, what's your priority?
    What should you do to maximise the benefits of your workouts in relation to your goals.

But what's wrong with doing HIIT post workout? What does it matter the actual speed you are going so long as your heart rate reaches a specified zone? Doesn't really matter if you are sprinting at 12mph pre-lift/off lifting day, or going 10.5mph post workout, if your heart rate still reaches the same levels.

HIIT for weight loss isn't about setting new speeds and getting faster, its about getting your heart rate to a specified level. If you are training for performance, obviously it's different.

Except Cals aren't determined by heart rate - they're determined by work performed. Running at 12 mph is more work performed than running at 10.5 mph - for the same time. As such, HIIT performed at a lower speed will burn fewer Cals than HIIT at a higher speed - regardless of heart rate.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Except Cals aren't determined by heart rate - they're determined by work performed. Running at 12 mph is more work performed than running at 10.5 mph - for the same time. As such, HIIT performed at a lower speed will burn fewer Cals than HIIT at a higher speed - regardless of heart rate.

That is just false....
  • TR0berts
    Options

That is just false....

:huh:

No, it's basic physics. Seriously.
  • Rammer123
    Options

That is just false....

:huh:

No, it's basic physics. Seriously.

Yeah, exactly why it's false.....

You're literally saying, if me and you, lets say we have the exact same weight, and exact same muscle mass, and we are essentially the same person, except for the fact that you are extremely fit and I haven't ran in months. We go out to the track and run at a fairly solid comfortable pace for you, but I am absolutely killing myself because my heart rate is flying. You're saying at the end of the workout, we've just burned the same number of calories? Gotta be a joke....
  • stanmann571
    Options

Which is true, but the purpose of HIIT is to stress and extend your ability to perform at or beyond the training threshold.

IOW, go for 90 seconds vs 45 seconds.

The assumption is that you can already perform at a certain level... the goal is to perform longer at that level. Assuming proper recovery, doing Fatigued HIIT still successfully stresses your anaerobic and aerobic capacity.
  • TR0berts
    Options

Which is true, but the purpose of HIIT is to stress and extend your ability to perform at or beyond the training threshold.

IOW, go for 90 seconds vs 45 seconds.

The assumption is that you can already perform at a certain level... the goal is to perform longer at that level. Assuming proper recovery, doing Fatigued HIIT still successfully stresses your anaerobic and aerobic capacity.

Sure, but the assertion that it's burning the same - or more - Cals, is incorrect.