Spring 2017 Dog Walking Challenge

Options

Replies

• W0rldWarME
    W0rldWarME Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    Walking Buddies: April & Keesh(Keshia) 9 year old English Setter/Labrador Retriever.
    Weekly Goal: Walk about 3-5 miles!
    How long/far did you walk this week?: we got about 2.5
    Successes:One Nice day where we got a decent half hour!
    Challenges:Mother Nature has changed soo many times this week :neutral:cy0rre4febis.jpg
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @W0rldWarME Keesh is so sweet looking in this photo, very adorable! Welcome, nice work on your first week :smile: we totally sympathize with the weather issues!
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Walking Buddy: Pepper
    Weekly Goal: 30 mins 3x/week, starting 6/4 (I'm out of town).
    How long/far did you walk this week?:
    Successes:
    Challenges:

• W0rldWarME
    W0rldWarME Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @W0rldWarME Keesh is so sweet looking in this photo, very adorable! Welcome, nice work on your first week :smile: we totally sympathize with the weather issues!

Thank you! Yes this weather has been wrecking all my plans, hopefully better weather this week!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Walking Buddy: Pepper
    Weekly Goal: 30 mins 3x/week, starting 6/4 (I'm out of town).
    How long/far did you walk this week?:
    Successes:
    Challenges:

Welcome, Pepper is gorgeous! Loving all the black dogs :smile:
  • diggydog2
    diggydog2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. What a great challenge. I wish I had found it sooner.
    Walking buddy: Tuffy, 13 year old Schnoodle.
    Weekly goal: 2 miles/40 minutes a day; 5-7 days a week.
    This week-13.5 miles
    Successes: reached our goal
    Challenges: getting up early enough to walk before work.
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go ahead and back out of this challenge. I just got a hernia the other day and since my dog is big and sometimes likes to pull I will hold off for now.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have been following with interest, but was waiting to return home from vacation to join.

Walking buddies: Nutty, Sadie, and Lynn (I will try to add pictures, but I'm on my cell and a bit technologically challenged) so pictures may be pending

Goals this week: one hour in the dog park three times this week plus 20 minute walks to make two walks per day.

ETA: can add from the site, not the app

n93jmc4rdmlm.jpg

lpyk38oyxa0a.jpg

• Katagara
    Katagara Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    This challenge is perfect for my little 6 month old Cavalier and me, we walk to the beach everyday for his little swim.

Walking buddy: Cheeks (aka Cheeky Monkey)
    Weekly Goal: 5km/day
    Success: 5/7
    Challenges: rain, mosquitoes, poison ivy and a dead fish he really wanted
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,746 Member
    Options
    Love the hat!!!
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,746 Member
    Options
    My new goal is walking my baby 3 times a day for 12 minutes each time...unless rain dictates otherwise. Today it's a cool 65... Roxie's favorite weather!
  • Katagara
    Options
    Thanks! It was for May the 4th
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Today's park walk:dpakmfxf0wv1.jpg
    I don't know how people get pictures of their dogs sitting together all nice. I got them to sit together but then they wouldn't both look at me. The black one belly crawled through the thickest mud puddle she could find. And the white one found something green to roll in (not too foul smelling at least).
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @nutmegoreo fun!! This place looks beautiful :smile: I completely know what you mean, I almost never can get them both to look at me either. I almost always can get Wick to look at me but his brother Artoo hates looking at the camera when we are on a walk, he wants to keep exploring.
  • Katagara
    Options
    Yay!
    My goal was to walk 5km/day for the week, mission accomplished with 36.3 km!
    I started June 4th even thou I didn't post until the 5th, MapMyWalk records Sat to Sat.
    Cheeks (my walking buddy) is loving it and has improved his on leash walking with all the practice.

New goal: add some jogging to our walks
    Challenges: jogging for any length of time
  • nutmegoreo
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @nutmegoreo fun!! This place looks beautiful :smile: I completely know what you mean, I almost never can get them both to look at me either. I almost always can get Wick to look at me but his brother Artoo hates looking at the camera when we are on a walk, he wants to keep exploring.

Sorry, I didn't check back until now! I wanted to be able to summarize my week. We have some lovely walking trails in the summer. This one happens to be an off leash park as well. They have several mud puddles for the dogs to cool off in, and there is a river along one side, but it's pretty deep and a bit swift right now, compared to usual. Fortunately, mine only wade in, they don't swim. Sadie still hasn't figured out that she can't catch the waves. It's so cute.

My goal was three one hour dog park walks and 20 minute walks to make up two walks/day. That was a bit ambitious. It would have been 400 minutes total. I didn't get many of the 20 minute walks in, but we did four days at the dog park (some were longer than an hour) for a total of 395 minutes and 28km (my KM, I suspect they did 2-3 times as many).

This week: I am back to full-time work, so will have less time. So: 4 one hour walks at the dog park, and 30 minute walks the other three days. Total time: 330 minutes.

Challenges: jet lag and dogs that seem to keep finding green stuff to roll in.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

...We have some lovely walking trails in the summer. This one happens to be an off leash park as well. They have several mud puddles for the dogs to cool off in, and there is a river along one side, but it's pretty deep and a bit swift right now, compared to usual. Fortunately, mine only wade in, they don't swim. Sadie still hasn't figured out that she can't catch the waves. It's so cute...

That sounds amazing! Dog heaven! My dog and I have only been taking 20 minute nightly walks around the neighborhood lately. I'm just so busy with work this time of year I haven't gotten out to the trails in the hills...Poor pup! :(

So I guess this weeks progress was about 2 hours of boring neighborhood walking total. Better than nothing, but I'm sure she'd like to get back out on the trails again.

Soon...
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

...We have some lovely walking trails in the summer. This one happens to be an off leash park as well. They have several mud puddles for the dogs to cool off in, and there is a river along one side, but it's pretty deep and a bit swift right now, compared to usual. Fortunately, mine only wade in, they don't swim. Sadie still hasn't figured out that she can't catch the waves. It's so cute...

That sounds amazing! Dog heaven! My dog and I have only been taking 20 minute nightly walks around the neighborhood lately. I'm just so busy with work this time of year I haven't gotten out to the trails in the hills...Poor pup! :(

So I guess this weeks progress was about 2 hours of boring neighborhood walking total. Better than nothing, but I'm sure she'd like to get back out on the trails again.

Soon...

Ugh, I understand. Honestly, when I'm back to work, I'm a little worried that I won't make it to the park except on weekends, and even then. They do love it so much out there, and I feel better for the air, but between work and school, it's easy enough to justify in my head not taking the extra time to go. I need to convince myself that my mental well-being (as well as theirs) needs to take a higher priority than it has in the past. One thing about all this walking, they have been sleeping very well! They do need some work on their leash walking though.