40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday kids. Inferno done. It took EVERYTHING I had to go to the gym. I was NOT motivated today. After that brutal workout, I feel a bit better. Have a great day.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sadly I am 49 and almost out of the group! 5 months left....
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options

It's "40+"! You're good. ;)
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,981 Member
    Options
    GAINED weight! Ugh. But I'm still living strong lift, and I'm going to tell myself that I'm building muscle.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Dynamix"=Done!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Hahaha! Do you have any idea how many of us are over 50!?!?
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    czvanut wrote: »
    GAINED weight! Ugh. But I'm still living strong lift, and I'm going to tell myself that I'm building muscle.

How do you feel? How do your clothes feel? Have you taken measurements lately? The scale can't give you the full picture.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I got my butt kicked at 5:00 a.m. Where is the cake and wine? Have a great day kids.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm a brand-new member of the 40+ club. :smiley:

I had a big ole' birthday burger for lunch today, but I'm hitting the gym later and eating light for dinner, so I'll still be within my calories. Unless someone brings me an unexpected birthday cupcake or cookie. I'm at a new-ish job, so I don't think anyone here actually KNOWS its my birthday.
  • christinecameron901
    christinecameron901 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi,I am 49 years old.I am 4" 11 and 115lbs.I am trying to get in the best shape I can.Hope everyone is having a great day. :smile:
  • ClaireAlgar2015
    ClaireAlgar2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

This is exactly what's happening with me, just wish the numbers on the scales went down as it demotivates me
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,092 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Finally got my butt to the gym today (missed yesterday) as it is raining out (yippie - we need it as we're in drought conditions) so no paddling for me today. Felt much better today than last week - 45 min Weight Machines / Strength Training; 14 min various Squats on 360 balance cushion; 15 min Rowing, Easy Pace (2075 m / 1.29 miles).

Also quickly got some grass seed put down between rain showers to try to help the bare spots in my lawn. Here's hoping it takes and doesn't get washed away with all the impending rain we're expecting this week.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    @b3achy -- Are you doing squats on the cushion (I assume something like a Bosu?) for improving balance? I have sciatica-induced numbness in my right leg and am looking for some exercises to help with the resulting balance issues. I do step-ups and lunges, which are challenging already, but am wondering if adding a cushion would help.

My report: 3 miles run in the cold rain. Now waiting for my rowing class to start. Also in the cold rain.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I got my butt kicked at 5:00 a.m. Where is the cake and wine? Have a great day kids.

Caramel - This should be a new rule: "For every butt kicking by a trainer, there will be cake and wine recovery period." Kinda like stretching and foam rolling, only more fun.

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    @b3achy -- Are you doing squats on the cushion (I assume something like a Bosu?) for improving balance? I have sciatica-induced numbness in my right leg and am looking for some exercises to help with the resulting balance issues. I do step-ups and lunges, which are challenging already, but am wondering if adding a cushion would help.

My report: 3 miles run in the cold rain. Now waiting for my rowing class to start. Also in the cold rain.

Yea, it's similar to a Bosu, but a bit more stable. However, it feels more like the balancing I have to do on my paddleboards, which is why I do my squats on it (one of my power strokes for racing involves a good bit of squatting, especially in a head wind)...here's a link to the manufacturer's website: https://www.spri.com/blogs/blog/the-spri-step-360-pro . It's been described as a cross between a Bosu and a Step.

Initially my gym only had these (and they have a whole class devoted to using them, which I hear is quite the workout). Once I tried the 360, I liked how it was quite stable, but still required some balancing, but I was able to do exercises on it immediately. I have an Indo board cushion at home, but I still don't feel stable on it at all (and spend more time trying to balance even at minimal inflation than being able to do any exercises on it yet). The gym finally added added Bosu balls to their equipment recently. I really haven't tried the Bosu balls yet at the gym as they look really unstable compared to the 360 and seem like they would require more focus on balance than on the exercise like my Indo board cushion.

I don't know if it would help or aggravate your sciatica, but it might be worth checking out if you are looking for a gentler balancing workout option to a Bosu ball.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,981 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »

How do you feel? How do your clothes feel? Have you taken measurements lately? The scale can't give you the full picture.

I feel okay. Actually got into some shorts I hadn't been able to wear until last weekend.
    It's discouraging when the numbers don't reflect that. Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 The Warrior"=Done!
  • __TMac__
    Options
    @b3achy -- Ok, thanks for the thorough description. I read the manufacturer's page and it looks interesting. I'll rummage through my gym's supplies before pulling the trigger myself. Appreciate it!