Eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising at least a 1000 and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• andrebessa93
    andrebessa93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys - I really appreciate it

Perhaps I'm going too heavy on it but I still want to lose another 27KG (60 pounds) so I want to make sure I do it in a healthy way. I will perhaps to a nutricionist and get a proper diet plan that is both flexible but keeps me on the losing track,.,,

Off to the gym!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Respectfully intended....I just responded to the actual post, which said "You are NOT burning 1000 calories a day, by exercise. Plain and simple."

If you didn't mean that, no big thing, but 1000 calories burned is not unreasonable, for the reasons I gave in the response. I didn't read into anything, I just read the post. The context of exercise and where activity falls (either within the normal count or as exercise, matters with respect to the claim).

I agree it is possible, of course. But given the info he has provided, I simply don't think it is reasonable that he is consuming 1200 calories a day, and burning 1000 exercise calories a day, especially given that the OP is depending upon his watch to provide such data. Maybe if this were a ONE day thing, sure. heck I have had days like that. But honestly, my scales would show a couple of pounds down, just in water weight, after a day like that.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments above... I'm a bit concerned about some of the comments above.
    I am indeed eating 1,200 calories per day (I will be upping this to 1,500 on the back of all your comments).
    To clear things up, I am indeed burning 1000 calories, sometimes more per day by doing things like HIIT, Zumba and then after it 30 mins non-stop of swimming. I feel incredibly fit and full of energy. Therefore, 200 calories net, yes.

Could this diet really be doing me this much harm if all I want to do now is exercise, move, actually get on? Previously I was a total couch potato. Now I run a 5K with no issues - all of this in 1.5 months. training hard everyday.

Thanks for all of the advice above guys!

You are NOT burning 1000 calories a day, by exercise. Plain and simple. You probably need to learn a bit more about BMR and exercise calories. This is a nice explanation of how this works.

https://www.jillianmichaels.com/blog/health-and-fitness/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-day

You will not lose weight if you are not eating fewer calories than you burn.

All of this. The 1000 is taken your BMR into account right? Like the calories you burn by just existing. I "burn" about 1,360 calories/day by just waking up and seeing the light of day. I "maybe" burn 200-300 via exercise on a GREAT day- like an extra dollop of Peanut Butter. Listen to the advice of people on here about refiguring out your numbers and what they mean!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Respectfully intended....I just responded to the actual post, which said "You are NOT burning 1000 calories a day, by exercise. Plain and simple."

If you didn't mean that, no big thing, but 1000 calories burned is not unreasonable, for the reasons I gave in the response. I didn't read into anything, I just read the post. The context of exercise and where activity falls (either within the normal count or as exercise, matters with respect to the claim).

I agree it is possible, of course. But given the info he has provided, I simply don't think it is reasonable that he is consuming 1200 calories a day, and burning 1000 exercise calories a day, especially given that the OP is depending upon his watch to provide such data. Maybe if this were a ONE day thing, sure. heck I have had days like that. But honestly, my scales would show a couple of pounds down, just in water weight, after a day like that.

Certainly agree with all of this. Like others have posted, either something's fishy, or he really is on a crash diet (and for the last week anyway, holding onto a little water - perhaps that water retention, which prompted him to start this thread, will be a blessing in disguise).
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys - I really appreciate it

Perhaps I'm going too heavy on it but I still want to lose another 27KG (60 pounds) so I want to make sure I do it in a healthy way. I will perhaps to a nutricionist and get a proper diet plan that is both flexible but keeps me on the losing track,.,,

Off to the gym!

I have another 100lb to lose..... 2lb is the most i plan to lose a week dropping to 1lb a week when im closer to 50lb to go

When you set up mfp what did it tell you your calorie goal should be?
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

I accept some people do, those who run or cycle marathons or do huge workouts - but would take a very time consuming amount of zumba, swimming and the like.

Not sure about swimming, but when I do an hour Zumba session, i burn about 500 calories according to my Fitbit, give or take. Now mind you, that number will vary depending on your intensity level during the class. I'm usually dripping with sweat and look like a hot mess at the end of it. Again, intensity matters. You might be overestimating your calorie burn.
  • LtGladden
    LtGladden Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One week is definitely not enough time to reach a conclusion that you're not losing weight. Realistically, you could lose what you expected to this week and next week's prediction by your weigh day next week. Your body could be holding water for some reason, anything like that; don't freak out yet. Don't make any negative changes to your calories (don't reduce them any more - your intake is too low as it is). My advice - although I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL - is to stop eating the prepackaged meals as much as you can and prepare mindful portions of fresher foods if you can.
  • Enigmatracking
    Enigmatracking Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The answer is much simpler than people to seem to think in this thread. The 1000 calories his apple watch says he is burning in the ~8 hours he wears it include the passive burn that would be happening regardless of exercise. So really hes probably burning closer to 200-300 additional each day not 1k. Also eating 1200 calories each day is fine if you maintain a high level of protein.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    The answer is much simpler than people to seem to think in this thread. The 1000 calories his apple watch says he is burning in the ~8 hours he wears it include the passive burn that would be happening regardless of exercise. So really hes probably burning closer to 200-300 additional each day not 1k. Also eating 1200 calories each day is fine if you maintain a high level of protein.

That would be the case only if his watch was wildly misconfigured since he's a 97 kg 24 year old man at 5' 9"

LOL no kidding. Walking 4 miles alone is going to top 300 cal a day, for most people, if they are doing anything other than ambling.
  • Enigmatracking
    Options
    Not sure if I was clear (I don't know anything about apple watches). However the google fit app has a running total all day of exercise and passive burn. I'm saying that the 8 hours he wears the watch reports that he burned ~1k calories during that time which is the passive burn for a person 97 kg 24 year old man at 5' 9". *Not sure how accurate this site is* but https://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned says his weight/height/age passive burn is 2900 calories a day. 2900/3 (to get 8 hours) = ~1000.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    Not sure if I was clear (I don't know anything about apple watches). However the google fit app has a running total all day of exercise and passive burn. I'm saying that the 8 hours he wears the watch reports that he burned ~1k calories during that time which is the passive burn for a person 97 kg 24 year old man at 5' 9". *Not sure how accurate this site is* but https://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned says his weight/height/age passive burn is 2900 calories a day. 2900/3 (to get 8 hours) = ~1000.

That's not what I was LOLing about. As far as the daily BMR burn, that ain't news, and I already mentioned that to the OP upthread.

But to say he probably burned only 200-300 additional calories, from the exercise he said he did, is a bit silly.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

That would be the case only if his watch was wildly misconfigured since he's a 97 kg 24 year old man at 5' 9"

LOL no kidding. Walking 4 miles alone is going to top 300 cal a day, for most people, if they are doing anything other than ambling.

My issue was with the passive burn... which for a 200 lb 24 year old is in the neighborhood of 2000+

The watch should either be showing either:

purposeful activity... ie 400-700 calories... So if he's running 5K and doing 3-4 miles of ambling he might get to 1000 I did 6 miles Saturday, plus ambling and got to almost 1100 Last Thursday, 6.5 miles Plus 4 of ambling got me to 1300 ... I'm a little larger(233/71 Inches) So I'm not totally rejecting his CO, although I suspect he's overestimating.

or

it should be showing TDEE 2500-3000 . On those two days, MFP calculated my Calories for weightloss at 3500-4000.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

The Apple Watch doesn't include your BMR calories in its figures. You can see your actual TDEE total on the companion app on the iPhone, but the watch itself only shows calories from movement above & beyond BMR. And the Exercise app subtracts BMR calories from your workout totals so you're not double dipping.

I'm a few pounds lighter than the OP and my Apple Watch shows my "Move" calories as 102 so far today (it's been a lazy morning). Obviously I've burned a lot more than that in 10.5 hours if my BMR was calculated in. If I look at the "Total calories" in the iPhone app (which shows TDEE), it shows that I've burned 938 so far today.

Well that's actually kind of cool. I have never used an Apple watch, (obviously, duh! :p ) and had no idea that it showed (estimated) calories-over-BMR. (But that was why I asked the question in the first place.)
  • Enigmatracking
    Options
    Ah thanks for the information, sorry for muddying the waters.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

That's not what I was LOLing about. As far as the daily BMR burn, that ain't news, and I already mentioned that to the OP upthread.

But to say he probably burned only 200-300 additional calories, from the exercise he said he did, is a bit silly.

I thought we were on the same page
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

The Apple Watch doesn't include your BMR calories in its figures. You can see your actual TDEE total on the companion app on the iPhone, but the watch itself only shows calories from movement above & beyond BMR. And the Exercise app subtracts BMR calories from your workout totals so you're not double dipping.

I'm a few pounds lighter than the OP and my Apple Watch shows my "Move" calories as 102 so far today (it's been a lazy morning). Obviously I've burned a lot more than that in 10.5 hours if my BMR was calculated in. If I look at the "Total calories" in the iPhone app (which shows TDEE), it shows that I've burned 938 so far today.

I've got 61 so far!! :wink:
This discussion has been closed.