Eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising at least a 1000 and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

Thanks for providing the necessary information. I would recommend changing your goal on MyFitnessPal to lose 1 pound instead of trying to lose 2 pounds. You're 213 pounds if my conversion is correct and you're 5'9. I would also recommend adding strength training into your workout. I'm not sure if you're into lifting, or if you want you can add more resistance to your workouts or use weights.

What's your goal weight? How much weight do you want to lose? sometimes taking things slow and eating the right smith of calories will give you the body you want.

Good luck!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys - I really appreciate it

Perhaps I'm going too heavy on it but I still want to lose another 27KG (60 pounds) so I want to make sure I do it in a healthy way. I will perhaps to a nutricionist and get a proper diet plan that is both flexible but keeps me on the losing track,.,,

Off to the gym!

What figures did you fill in when you started on MFP? The site gives a recommendation on how many calories to consume, based on your present situation and your ultimate goal. The site never recommends anything under 1200 calories. I'm one inch taller than you and I was guided to an 1810 daily calorie intake.
  • andrebessa93
    andrebessa93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Perhaps I'm going too heavy on it but I still want to lose another 27KG (60 pounds) so I want to make sure I do it in a healthy way. I will perhaps to a nutricionist and get a proper diet plan that is both flexible but keeps me on the losing track,.,,

Off to the gym!

You mentioned peak district so possibly in my area - Sheffield?
    Gp can refer you to a scheme where you can see a dietitian, physio, weightloss support staff. Normally they will give you a range of appointments over 6 months.

Failing that most gps can refer for a 12 week course at slimming world or a 12 exercise pass

I went thru the 6 month nhs course

I went to the Peak on a day out. I live in Cambridgeshire.
    Although I appreciate the advice, and understand that I haven't been making all the right choices, I don't believe in places like slimming world. Unfortunately they don't teach flexible dieting and you may lose weight for as long as you're on the plan, it's after that the weight comes back on unless you continue to pretend that you're in slimming world.
  • andrebessa93
    andrebessa93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

Thanks for providing the necessary information. I would recommend changing your goal on MyFitnessPal to lose 1 pound instead of trying to lose 2 pounds. You're 213 pounds if my conversion is correct and you're 5'9. I would also recommend adding strength training into your workout. I'm not sure if you're into lifting, or if you want you can add more resistance to your workouts or use weights.

What's your goal weight? How much weight do you want to lose? sometimes taking things slow and eating the right smith of calories will give you the body you want.

Good luck!

I'm looking to get to about 70-75kgs (that's another 60 pounds to lose).
    My goal is to get small rather than bulky so with the fear of getting a stocky look, I decided to live weights until I'm down another 30 pounds.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

Good luck!

My goal is to get small rather than bulky so with the fear of getting a stocky look, I decided to live weights until I'm down another 30 pounds.

so you are 5 ft 9...and want to weight about 155lbs...interesting.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

Off to the gym!

You mentioned peak district so possibly in my area - Sheffield?
    Gp can refer you to a scheme where you can see a dietitian, physio, weightloss support staff. Normally they will give you a range of appointments over 6 months.

Failing that most gps can refer for a 12 week course at slimming world or a 12 exercise pass

I went thru the 6 month nhs course

I went to the Peak on a day out. I live in Cambridgeshire.
    Although I appreciate the advice, and understand that I haven't been making all the right choices, I don't believe in places like slimming world. Unfortunately they don't teach flexible dieting and you may lose weight for as long as you're on the plan, it's after that the weight comes back on unless you continue to pretend that you're in slimming world.

Im with you on slimming world. I tried it once back when they had red ( unlimited meat) and green ( unlimited pasta, rice etc) days

I followed it to the letter, wrote everything down was told off for not eating enough and i GAINED 6lb they insisted i needed to eat even more. I never went back

Ask your gp if your hospital runs any weight loss courses or if you can be refferred to a dietitian if you wish

Otherwise follow the daily calories mfp gives you, eat back some of your exercise calories and read the various forums particularly the pinned posts.
    There are some very knowledgable people here who will help guide you
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Hello!!

Good luck!

You are currently under eating. There is no possible way you would gain bulk if you start lifting. What you will do is preserve some muscle mass instead of losing a good portion of it from starving yourself down another 60 pounds.

^^This, and I would say that you would be lucky to even be preserving much at such an insane cut level. When you diet you lose water, fat, and muscle. By being in a conservative deficit and performing some sort of resistance training you work to ensure most of that loss comes from mainly water and fat, efficiently lowering your BF%.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not sure this guys plan is to be big in anyway or that he cares he is losing muscle mass...
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    not sure this guys plan is to be big in anyway or that he cares he is losing muscle mass...

skinny fat at it's best....
  • Butterflynma
    Butterflynma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and your body is in starvation mode. If your estimation is correct and you are indeed burning 1000 calories you are putting out way more than you're putting in. You get a certain amount of calories/energy just for breathing, sweating, using the bathroom, etc. and minus any exercise. So basically you're in a deficit. Your body can't function optimally if you're not getting enough food/nutrients. I know it seems contrary to what we believe "dieting" should be but minimizing calories like that is not beneficial. Experiment with eating more calories, of healthy foods, and see if that makes a difference.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and your body is in starvation mode. If your estimation is correct and you are indeed burning 1000 calories you are putting out way more than you're putting in. You get a certain amount of calories/energy just for breathing, sweating, using the bathroom, etc. and minus any exercise. So basically you're in a deficit. Your body can't function optimally if you're not getting enough food/nutrients. I know it seems contrary to what we believe "dieting" should be but minimizing calories like that is not beneficial. Experiment with eating more calories, of healthy foods, and see if that makes a difference.

he is not in "starvation mode" (the way you mean it), but if he keeps this up he will simply be starving himself..
  • Butterflynma
    Butterflynma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are active but please just eat more to fuel your lifestyle. You're an athlete and you must treat your body well. Look at Michael Phelps for instance. He had to eat 10,000 calories a day while he was training. I'm guessing you need at least 2,500 calories, but probably more.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I am indeed eating 1,200 calories per day (I will be upping this to 1,500 on the back of all your comments).
    To clear things up, I am indeed burning 1000 calories, sometimes more per day by doing things like HIIT, Zumba and then after it 30 mins non-stop of swimming. I feel incredibly fit and full of energy. Therefore, 200 calories net, yes.

Reality check: You're not burning 1,000 calories doing that stuff. If you were doing HIIT, you wouldn't be able to do it every day. What you're calling HIIT is probably calisthenics. It's not just you, everybody does that nowadays. If you were really surviving on 200 kCal a day and doing such intense exercise at such high volume, you would not feel full of energy.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for your efforts! Just a couple of suggestions. Prepared meals have huge amounts of sodium. After I eat one it takes me three days to lose the water weight! Better off eating brown rice chicken and veggies. You can make a pot and eat it for three days. Also you're not eating enough. You won't be able to sustain it and your muscles will wither. If you want some good advice I would suggest getting Lou Schuler's book The Lean Muscle Diet. Used on Amazon or eBay for $10. It will change your life. And pick up the weights...if you love exercise you'll really get addicted to lifting heavy once you see the results! Feed that young metabolism what it needs. I wonder if just cutting out the junk food and soda would work for you as well.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'd learn to cook. Tesco ready meals are not a substitute for real food. Pedal back on exercise - you are probably doing too much, the equivalent of 30mins walking each day is enough to get fat moving. Don't eat back ANY exercise calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Hi! I'd learn to cook. Tesco ready meals are not a substitute for real food. Pedal back on exercise - you are probably doing too much, the equivalent of 30mins walking each day is enough to get fat moving. Don't eat back ANY exercise calories.

Tesco probably uses real food to create those meals, so I don't see how they aren't real.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hello!!

Good luck!

lol, clueless. You have no idea what it actually takes and how long it takes to build muscle. Do yourself a favor and start lifting today, ideally on a proper barbell program, unless skinnyfat is your goal then keep on as you are.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    something ain't right, that's forsure.
This discussion has been closed.