Do you still log what food you eat on party, buffets, restaurant etc.?

Options

Replies

• Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I log everything from Monday to Friday as it's much easier for me to do. I don't log at weekends, and as a consequence I usually need a deficit during the week to keep within my goal range. Works for me, even though I'm sure it's not the best method for maintenance.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Do you still log what food you eat on party, buffet, restaurant etc.? I find it hard to log what I'm eating up because I was too distracted I drink a 1.5 litre of coke today and I don't know how much food I've eatened :lol: Expecting the scale to backfire haha. I'm just curious

Resturants i do, they usually have menu items logged in on this app. Everything else no unless I can estimate well. But I'm not logging when I'm at a buffet or a party
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Yes. I generally prelog, even when eating out

THIS. Rule to live by.
  • 1coolmofo
    1coolmofo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I overestimate when eating out
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    atjays wrote: »
    Am I the only one disturbed by the 1.5 liters of coke a day?? That's nearly 800 calories of nonsense. If you just lowered that addiction to 1 can a day, diet coke if you can. I'd imagine you would start losing weight regardless of what else you've been eating. That's just crazy

It's because you may have misread. I think they meant just the one day as a special day like at a party or something. Not 100% but that was how I interpreted it. If they mean daily, that is very unhealthy. lol.
  • Crackertime
    Crackertime Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes to pre-planning. If you can't, focus on what the typical serving size is. Weddings and banquets are especially hard.

• BanksyTime
    BanksyTime Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-log as well and generally estimate on the high side. Most of the restaurants I go to aren't in the MFP database though so that makes it tough (and time-consuming to guesstimate!).
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I do my best but realize there is a huge margin of error and I'm not about to put a scale in my purse lol
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Yes or no, depending. I go through phases of being a lazy logger.

Yes, when I'm logging consistently. I'll do my best at guesstimating and do a quick add OR sometimes I'll try and log everything if it wasn't 25 bites of different things.

Then there are those times when I'm slacking and don't log anything at all. If parties happen during those lazy days/weeks then no. Then if (when) I see the scale creeping back up I get serious about it again. Like today! :D
  • nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If there is nutritional info available, I log it, if not I guess as best I can and try to overestimate.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yup I log it. If the company has a posted calorie guide, I used it. Off they don't, I make an educated guess by using something similar from a published calorie guide from a different restaurant.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I do my best to log as accurately as possible without being obnoxious.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I try, but it requires alot of guesstimating.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything. I bet I usually underestimate the wine though >:)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    I try to log everything. I bet I usually underestimate the wine though >:)

bwahaha. um, yeah, that's about a 5 oz pour, right? I'm probably guilty of this at Tango where we do our own pours into random glasses.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Mostly. If I'm at a restaurant and know what I'm ordering, I definitely log, even if it's an estimate.

I can't remember the last time I ate at a true buffet, but most parties? Eh, I just quick-add 1000 calories and move on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged anything in forever, but when I did I wouldn't have bothered as something like this would be more or less a one off.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I try to log all the time. I've been on maintenance for 30 years with a 40 lb. loss and logging works for me. I know that if I don't do it and do it honestly, I'll slip back to old habits. I really am a healthy eater, enjoy it that way, and am close to vegetarian, so lots of times hard to find stuff to eat. If I am going to a restaurant, I look at the menu beforehand online and figure out what I'm going to have. Lots of times, it's just a Caesar salad (no croutons, dressing on the side) with grilled salmon over it. I figure I am there for the company, and that's where they wanted to go, and it's OK if I'm not eating something exciting. If it's a buffet or something where I know that I will never be able to count accurately or find something healthy that I would eat, I usually pre-eat something before I go and then see if there is something I can munch on. Weddings, etc. are usually when I pre-eat because I never find anything served to me that I like and my husband usually eats what I don't, so no food is wasted. If I have a day where I go over calories but find it hard to log accurately, I log as closely as I can with items in the data base that seem to be similar. I do have those days where it all slips away and I eat too much or eat in a way that isn't how I usually do. That's when I try to be as honest as possible when I log. And that's when I get right back the next day to my usual routine. PLUS my body always tells me that it doesn't like what I did!! It's really used to being treated well, I guess.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. Just re read what I wrote above. I've been on maintenance for THREE plus years, not 30! LOL