• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    6/1 5miles 46:33min
    6/2 3miles 27:09min
    6/3 7miles 65:53min
    6/4 rest
    6/5 3miles 27:52min
    6/6 4miles 36:43min

A warm 4 miles today. I wish my hip felt better. I'm worried about running 13 on Saturday. I think I will take a week off after to give my hip a break. I'm still waiting on my referral to a PT. I think longingly of the days when I was running pain free...
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    4.5 miles at easy effort today (65% to 80% maxHR). Felt great! Especially the weather. Still warmer than ideal running weather, but a very welcome break from how things have been lately.

6/1 - rest
    6/2 - 3.1 miles
    6/3 - 13.1 miles
    6/4 - 4.5 miles
    6/5 - 9 miles
    6/6 - 4.5 miles

34.2 of 170 miles completed

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    sktobin wrote: »

Any advice on strength training while running?? Running is a part of an overall fitness plan for me.
    I won't be winning any races or anything like that! Purely recreational. I really enjoy strength training. Sometimes find it tough to balance that with getting in the kms.

Let me start by saying I'm not an elite runner. I've only been at this for about a year and a half. I run about 25 miles a week. Running started as part of an overall fitness plan....and then I did my first 5K! Can you say hooked? Lol! So now my primary focus is running. However! And it's a big however....what I've learned in that short time is that I need strength training, especially total body workouts that incorporate core and balance if I want to stay injury free. I'm 50 years old and my body doesn't create the chemistry to maintain muscle very well anymore. Regular strength training is a must for me just to get through the day!

I'm a bit lazy though when trying to create a program so I use a lot of videos. I'm currently hooked on Beachbody programs like 21 Day Fix Extreme and P90X3. I just ditch the cardio days on the calender and run. So far it's been working out pretty well. I'm injury free and I can still lift heavy trays over my head at work without wanting to crumble.

I totally agree! And I like your plan with the Beach Body programs of substituting the cardio with the running. That is what I did with the original P90X several years back and it worked well. I am currently also doing the P90X3 (loosely, as I am not doing it every day, but fitting it into my schedule as I can). I am doing the cardio videos this time around since I am doing very little running thanks to, you guessed it, an injury. I stupidly let my strength training fall to the way side in the place of chasing higher mileage and ended up with a bear of a case of high hamstring tendinitis which is not proving easy to cure!

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks! I texted my PT yesterday and he told me to ease back into it even more slowly and really concentrate on my foot strike (mid foot to forefoot) so that I have less hamstring activation. I may go for some short intervals tonight.

@KatieJane83- If I were you, I would swap your tempo run out for another day since you will be doing speed work tomorrow as well. Back to back speed workouts in combination with high mileage are a recipe for injury. Just a suggestion.

June 1- 2.8 miles(first run back!)
    June 2- 30 minutes swim (800m)+ 30 minutes yoga
    June 3- 3.6 miles+ 30 minutes stretching/PT
    June 4- P90X3 Challenge
    June 5- 32 minute swim (850m)

Total miles 6.4/50

After my first two runs and my conversation with my PT yesterday, I think I am going to retract my June goal of 50 miles. New goal will be to finish the month with a pain free run of any distance!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Got my bib numbers! It all feels super real now! 5k is at 6pm on the 16th. I'll be running that with my wife. She's a 40min 5k runner, so it will be a shake out run for me. Marathon starts at 0745 on the 17th.

Excitement level 100!

@MNLittleFinn - A thought occurs to me. Your normal easy pace is somewhere in the 9:15 to 9:45 per mile range, correct? Running 5K in 40 minutes even is an average pace of 12:54 per mile. Can you run 3 miles that slow without messing yourself up? If you haven't already, you might want to pace your wife for a few runs between now and race day, so you know what you're getting into.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    sktobin wrote: »

Any advice on strength training while running?? Running is a part of an overall fitness plan for me.
    I won't be winning any races or anything like that! Purely recreational. I really enjoy strength training. Sometimes find it tough to balance that with getting in the kms.

Let me start by saying I'm not an elite runner. I've only been at this for about a year and a half. I run about 25 miles a week. Running started as part of an overall fitness plan....and then I did my first 5K! Can you say hooked? Lol! So now my primary focus is running. However! And it's a big however....what I've learned in that short time is that I need strength training, especially total body workouts that incorporate core and balance if I want to stay injury free. I'm 50 years old and my body doesn't create the chemistry to maintain muscle very well anymore. Regular strength training is a must for me just to get through the day!

I'm a bit lazy though when trying to create a program so I use a lot of videos. I'm currently hooked on Beachbody programs like 21 Day Fix Extreme and P90X3. I just ditch the cardio days on the calender and run. So far it's been working out pretty well. I'm injury free and I can still lift heavy trays over my head at work without wanting to crumble.

@KatieJane83- If I were you, I would swap your tempo run out for another day since you will be doing speed work tomorrow as well. Back to back speed workouts in combination with high mileage are a recipe for injury. Just a suggestion.

Oh yeah, honestly I'll probably just cut this speed workout out, as right now I'd rather have the higher mileage done safely.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Got in 5.1 this morning. Was barely raining and felt great!
    exercise.png
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Fitness watch question for everyone:

My watch it dying and I'm looking to get a new one, I'm leaning towards a Garmin but I'm not sure which type. I run with my phone so GPS isn't an issue but it looks like most/all their watches have it anyways. I'm a little concerned at how much it shortens the battery life but if I can turn it off on the watch and just use my phone that would be fine. All I do is run at this point so I'm not sure which model/how much overkill I want.

I'm fairly torn between the Forerunners and Fenix series. Any recommendations would be great.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Got my bib numbers! It all feels super real now! 5k is at 6pm on the 16th. I'll be running that with my wife. She's a 40min 5k runner, so it will be a shake out run for me. Marathon starts at 0745 on the 17th.

Excitement level 100!

@MNLittleFinn - A thought occurs to me. Your normal easy pace is somewhere in the 9:15 to 9:45 per mile range, correct? Running 5K in 40 minutes even is an average pace of 12:54 per mile. Can you run 3 miles that slow without messing yourself up? If you haven't already, you might want to pace your wife for a few runs between now and race day, so you know what you're getting into.

Excellent point @MobyCarp i didn't think about that, i was just thinking of supporting her entry into running. I didn't think about how going that slow would mess with ME!

I've paced for her before, so it's somewhat familiar territory for me, but I've never done it right before a goal race for myself. She signed for the 5k after I was already locked in, so we'll see.... I might talk to her about me going my own pace....
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Excitement level 100!

Excellent point @MobyCarp i dodnr thonk about that, i was just thinking of supporting her entry into running. I didn't think about how going that slow would mess with ME!

I've paced for her before, so it's somewhat familiar territory for me, but I've never done it right before a goal race for myself. She signed for the 5k after I was already locked in, so we'll see.... I might talk to her about me going my own pace....

If you've paced for her before and not had problems, you should be fine. I was concerned about it being a surprise.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @MNLittleFinn - @MobyCarp makes a good point, and even though you have done it before, you might still want to revisit it since you have become significantly faster recently. There is a point at which running too slow becomes way too much of an effort because you have to compromise your form.
  • MNLittleFinn
    @MNLittleFinn - @MobyCarp makes a good point, and even though you have done it before, you might still want to revisit it since you have become significantly faster recently. There is a point at which running too slow becomes way too much of an effort because you have to compromise your form.

Great point. I havent pacef for her in a while, so i might need to go my own pace.... well talk about along with the other logistics of thst weekend.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Azercord wrote: »

My watch it dying and I'm looking to get a new one, I'm leaning towards a Garmin but I'm not sure which type. I run with my phone so GPS isn't an issue but it looks like most/all their watches have it anyways. I'm a little concerned at how much it shortens the battery life but if I can turn it off on the watch and just use my phone that would be fine. All I do is run at this point so I'm not sure which model/how much overkill I want.

I'm fairly torn between the Forerunners and Fenix series. Any recommendations would be great.

I have the Garmin FR 620 and love it. I never have a problem with battery life. One 90 minute outting and I'm probably at 80%. DH has the 230 and never seems to charge his and it's been fine. You can turn the GPS off on the watch, but I find my phone craps out way before my watch does running the GPS. I love having all the metrics.

Check out DCRainmakers reviews, they are the best.
  • MobyCarp

Great point. I havent pacef for her in a while, so i might need to go my own pace.... well talk about along with the other logistics of thst weekend.

There's another thing about running a 5K as a race, even a "B" race, the day before the marathon. How much of the glycogen you've carb loaded for are you willing to spend on the 5K the day before? Probably not an issue at your wife's pace, but there's that form concern. I'd say revisit running with her before race day arrives, so you have more information to work with.

The classic answer is, "Just run the 5K at an easy pace." Yeah, right. Tell me what mental games to play to get myself to do that. Pacing someone else would work; trying to do it on my own is very, very difficult in a race environment.
  • MNLittleFinn
    @MobyCarp @lporter229 thank you both! I have a feeling I won't make any kind of a decision on the 5k until day of. Pacing for my wife would ensure I take it easy, but might also be too slow...OTOH going my own pace might turn it into a race for me.... lol...

... no easy answer and all because I wanted the hooded sweatshirt I get for running both....lol.... I'm such a dork
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Azercord wrote: »

It all depends on how many bells and whistles you want. I'm solely a runner, and I found the Garmin's 'entry level' Forerunner 25 was perfect for me. There is also the Garmin Forerunner 35 which has the HR monitor. Both are fairly basic compared to a lot of fitness watches out there, but for me, the FR25 does everything I want.

I second what @Elise4270 said re check out D C Rainmaker's reviews.