Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is counting calories/macros destroying our enjoyment of food?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    a lot of things are very high in calories and if i had the higher calorie things i may still be hungry but used up all my calories or have very few left for later.

I don't get what this has to do with OP's question. Surely if one is counting calories one would be sensible about making choices that would be satiating or otherwise wise investments. You are probably more likely to choose high cal things (or not realized they are high cal) if you are not being so obsessive, not paying attention.
    i try to eat lower calorie foods so i can eat more for the same amount

I sometimes do this too, but not everyone is a volume eater. I used to think I was, but now I think I'm more mixed. Having something satisfying (to me) with more calories can sometimes make me less likely to want to keep eating. (This includes things like cheese, for example, or definitely eggs with the yolk vs. not.)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't eat foods I don't like. I think of my food budget like my money budget and stay within my calories. I don't dislike the way I eat but I sure enjoyed my old way of eating much more and would go back to it in a heartbeat if I could.

Some of the differences of opinion may come from a person's starting point and their habitual way of eating within their social structure.

If you use obsessive calorie counting to get underweight, that's a medical problem.

If you use obsessive calorie counting to go from morbidly obese to obese or overweight or normal, the doctors will cheer you on. Society will cheer you on. The only time you'll get negative feedback is if you lose that obsession and regain.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion.

To answer your question, personally calorie / macro counting does not bother me, but I've been doing this since I was a preteen. I can tell you the nutritional information of a lot of foods off hand because I've been doing this off and on for so long.

To me, it's all just information. This food provides these nutrients and this much energy so on and so forth.

One of the things that I have found over the years is I'm going to eat what I want to eat regardless. Now the reasoning behind what I eat and why I eat it may be different. Maybe I'm low on calories for the day or I have a lot of calories so I decide to splurge or I need to meet my protein goal etc or maybe I just wanted to eat that food item.

Doesn't really phase me, but I don't eat foods I don't like. I know some people do eat things they don't enjoy for the sake of maintaining their weight or losing weight, but everything I eat is something I like and truly enjoy so I get the same enjoyment out of it if I'm eating it because I'm low on calories or if I'm eating it because I want to.
  • seska422
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    My constant obsession with calorie counting, hitting protein grams, and avoiding things I feel are not part of a "healthy" diet, are *borderline* unhealthy, and borderline ruin eating for me.

Only borderline. It's a little obsessive but it's nothing that's not controllable and definitely not damaging to me. But it definitely removes a lot if not all of the enjoyment of eating.

But in the same breath I HAD to remove the enjoyment of eating. Enjoying eating is what got me fat. It was comfort, it was reprieve from emotional and sometimes physical distress. It's how I celebrated and how I grieved. It was emotion. I correlated enjoying food with happiness like a heroin junky associates heroin with being happy. I was literally killing myself thinking I was enjoying what I was eating. When I stepped back, and looked at how all that food made me "feel", I didn't actually ever enjoy it. It did nothing but hurt me in the most horrible ways.

I still splurge. I still fall off track. But if we apply the pareto rule, I've removed enjoyment from probably 80% of what I eat now. Some of that is intentional.

That's exactly what this post is getting at -- the obsessive nature of calorie counting.

Getting obsessive about a calorie deficit is a requirement to escape from morbid obesity. Staying obsessive about overall calorie intake/output is a requirement to avoid weight regain plus some extra. The 95% who regain lost weight aren't staying obsessive.

The simplest, most reliable way to maintain calorie control for many people is calorie counting. Obsession is what got me where I am (near my goal weight) and I don't want to lose that obsession. I want to nurture that obsession. I want to be buried in a normal-sized coffin when the time comes.

This isn't obsessive. This is putting a tracking system around an unknown and no different than balancing a checkbook. The advent of smartphones just made calorie counting remarkably easy.

Simply put you identified a quality you wanted to change, developed a plan to change, and implemented this. That isn't obsessive. That is logic in action.

Some people consider any calorie counting / food measuring obsessive and will give you grief about it. They like my results but feel that I'm doing it wrong and need to move to more intuitive eating. I would find intuitive eating more stressful because I'd not have the framework that calorie counting gives me.

I like amusedmonkey's term diligence. I get some anxiety when I'm in situations where I can't get as accurate a calorie estimate as I like but mostly I like having control over my consumption. I like playing with the numbers and balance of macros.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it has and it helped start and make a eating disorder worst, a lot of things are very high in calories and if i had the higher calorie things i may still be hungry but used up all my calories or have very few left for later. i try to eat lower calorie foods so i can eat more for the same amount which means i don`t eat a lot of different cereals because they go over 110 and i know thats silly but its what i go through with and i really don`t like to drink things with calories because i feel that i will not be full and that could of been used on food and there are a lot of other foods i can`t or will not eat because of the calorie count, just to sum it all up its not fun but i can`t stop and life just is not the same.

I have to ask how is that an eating disorder? Just curious.

I don't eat certain things because their calories aren't worth it...for example hotdogs...very rarely will I eat them now because a bun and hotdog just don't make sense for the calories esp when I want to add in bacon etc. I prefer to eat a breast of chicken for less calories...and I won't drink things like regular soda or a milkshake or stuff like that either as the calories just don't make sense to me...I would prefer to eat food thx.

So lots of us do exactly what you describe but don't call it "disordered" but choices.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    My constant obsession with calorie counting, hitting protein grams, and avoiding things I feel are not part of a "healthy" diet, are *borderline* unhealthy, and borderline ruin eating for me.

Only borderline. It's a little obsessive but it's nothing that's not controllable and definitely not damaging to me. But it definitely removes a lot if not all of the enjoyment of eating.

But in the same breath I HAD to remove the enjoyment of eating. Enjoying eating is what got me fat. It was comfort, it was reprieve from emotional and sometimes physical distress. It's how I celebrated and how I grieved. It was emotion. I correlated enjoying food with happiness like a heroin junky associates heroin with being happy. I was literally killing myself thinking I was enjoying what I was eating. When I stepped back, and looked at how all that food made me "feel", I didn't actually ever enjoy it. It did nothing but hurt me in the most horrible ways.

I still splurge. I still fall off track. But if we apply the pareto rule, I've removed enjoyment from probably 80% of what I eat now. Some of that is intentional.

That's exactly what this post is getting at -- the obsessive nature of calorie counting.

Getting obsessive about a calorie deficit is a requirement to escape from morbid obesity. Staying obsessive about overall calorie intake/output is a requirement to avoid weight regain plus some extra. The 95% who regain lost weight aren't staying obsessive.

The simplest, most reliable way to maintain calorie control for many people is calorie counting. Obsession is what got me where I am (near my goal weight) and I don't want to lose that obsession. I want to nurture that obsession. I want to be buried in a normal-sized coffin when the time comes.

This isn't obsessive. This is putting a tracking system around an unknown and no different than balancing a checkbook. The advent of smartphones just made calorie counting remarkably easy.

Simply put you identified a quality you wanted to change, developed a plan to change, and implemented this. That isn't obsessive. That is logic in action.

Some people consider any calorie counting / food measuring obsessive and will give you grief about it. They like my results but feel that I'm doing it wrong and need to move to more intuitive eating. I would find intuitive eating more stressful because I'd not have the framework that calorie counting gives me.

I like amusedmonkey's term diligence. I get some anxiety when I'm in situations where I can't get as accurate a calorie estimate as I like but mostly I like having control over my consumption. I like playing with the numbers and balance of macros.

I don't feel counting/scale/logging is obsessive at all...and no one in my life does either...

I agree it's diligence on our part...and to me that is not unhealthy but just makes us aware of what we require to maintain/lose/gain weight.

I mean no one thinks using a calculator/spreadsheet/log book is obsessive for balancing your bank account...
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It actually makes me much more mindful of what I am eating and therefore I am appreciating my treats more
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    it has and it helped start and make a eating disorder worst, a lot of things are very high in calories and if i had the higher calorie things i may still be hungry but used up all my calories or have very few left for later. i try to eat lower calorie foods so i can eat more for the same amount which means i don`t eat a lot of different cereals because they go over 110 and i know thats silly but its what i go through with and i really don`t like to drink things with calories because i feel that i will not be full and that could of been used on food and there are a lot of other foods i can`t or will not eat because of the calorie count, just to sum it all up its not fun but i can`t stop and life just is not the same.

I don't eat certain things because their calories aren't worth it...for example hotdogs...very rarely will I eat them now because a bun and hotdog just don't make sense for the calories esp when I want to add in bacon etc. I prefer to eat a breast of chicken for less calories...and I won't drink things like regular soda or a milkshake or stuff like that either as the calories just don't make sense to me...I would prefer to eat food thx.

So lots of us do exactly what you describe but don't call it "disordered" but choices.

I would say the difference here is that the previous poster feels disordered about it and you don't. If someone feels what they are doing is disordered and feels they can't stop, it probably is disordered for them.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I would say the difference here is that the previous poster feels disordered about it and you don't. If someone feels what they are doing is disordered and feels they can't stop, it probably is disordered for them.

Hmm maybe by seeing that others do it too might make the poster feel less disordered.

I mean that's normal in a world where you are trying to maintain weight loss or lose weight...
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    [1] I think we've possibly come to view food a bit too much as a source of enjoyment rather than for sustenance. Not necessarily a bad thing to not get 'enjoyment' from food now that it is so plentiful, but rather to get enjoyment elsewhere. (food as a main source of enjoyment is how a lot of people get fat).
    [2] On those rare occasions when you do make room for a burger or donut or a fine meal, they are so so much more amazing.
  • seska422
    edited June 2017
    Options

Getting obsessive about a calorie deficit is a requirement to escape from morbid obesity. Staying obsessive about is a requirement to avoid weight regain plus some extra. The 95% who regain lost weight aren't staying obsessive.

I disagree that overt calorie counting is needed to maintain weight loss, especially for people who find that it's an unhealthy means of maintaining energy balance.

There are other methods of portion control that can be learned and utilized by those who have issues with obsessive behaviors to maintain healthy weights that are habit/mindfulness based that work very well.

Bear in mind, I'm not one of those people, some form of counting will always suit me and my personality best, but I see no necessity for it in successful maintenance. What I do see a need for is some sort of plan to keep a focus on intake and monitoring one's weight.

I didn't say that overt calorie counting was needed for either weight loss or maintenance, but that overall calorie intake/output control is. However a person does it, they do need to stay diligent about it or they're likely to have weight creep.

Each person needs to find what works best for themselves. There's nothing wrong with calorie counting or intuitive eating or any method that's healthy and comfortable for that person.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy food.
    I also like logging my food.
    Maybe I am weird.