NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow runners!

6/1: 8.7k -w/u, Tempo Run, c/d-
    6/2: 10.3k -again Tempo-
    6/4: 7.1k - urban running
    6/6: 14.1k -Long run-

Aim: 40.2k/161k

2nd run in Cyprus. Various surfaces, I found a 4k trail around a salt lake. Awesome!

Stay free of injuries!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 --- being out in the wilderness is so good for the soul... hope the weather is nice for you! How many more training weeks do you have until your HM race and how many left on the plan? For me, if there was enough time to make plan adjustments, I would cut back and do the long 13 mi run next week. When I trained for my HM this spring, I extended the 12 week plan into about 16 with some 5K and 10K races mixed in as well.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @ctlaws44 - Look at everything that went wrong, and you still came close to 20 minutes! You're going to break 20 in a 5K some time when things come together, for sure.

@midwesterner85 - If you had done a half before, I'd say bag the long run in light of what else you have going on this weekend; but 13 miles can be a Big Deal psychologically on your way to your first half. Do you have enough time before the race to get 13 in next week instead of this week, even if the plan has you running shorter? I don't like the potential physical effects of going short on sleep before a full day of work, long drive, and very active weekend. But it's hard to argue with the psychological benefit of actually running the distance you will race.

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    June 1 – 6.0 miles Temp: 84°F Humidity: 52%
    June 2 – 6.0 miles w/6 x 400m intervals Temp: 80°F Humidity: 80%
    June 3 – 3.0 miles Easy Run Temp: 80°F Humidity: 80%
    June 4 – 0.0 miles Rest Day
    June 5 – 5.0 miles Easy run w/strides (8) Temp: 75°F Humidity: 90%
    June 6 – 0.0 miles XT Day Water Zumba and 30 min of swimming laps

Total: 20 miles/100 miles

Races:
    June 23 – St. Pete Beach Series, Race #1, 5K
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
    August 5 – Great Brain Wash 5K Obstacle Run, St. Pete, FL
    August 18 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #3, 5K
    September 16 – Samoa Challenge (Thin Mint Sprint 5K and a Tagalong Trot 1 mile), Safety Harbor, FL
    November 18 – Insane Inflatable 5K Obstacle Run, Tampa, FL

• rusgolden
    Options
    June Goal: 95 miles

6/01 0
    6/02 5.0 - 9:09 m/m 153 HR
    6/03 4.0 - 8:47 m/m 156 HR
    6/04 5.0 - 8:56 m/m 154 HR
    6/05 0.0
    6/06 5.0 - 3 miles of .5 mi intervals with a 2 mi easy jog cool down - 8:42 m/m 139 HR (pace is intervals only, HR includes wu/cd)

Total: 19 miles
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Hey @Elise4270 - Love the article! Something for me to be working toward :) I doubt if I could qualify given the times those ladies are running though!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone, like many of you have stated my phone will probably take a back seat once I've gotten used to the watch but it has been my GPS source so I'm just used to it. As it stands I'm looking at the Fenix 5 or the FR 735XT, still reading up on the DC Rainmaker's reviews though.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 very cool. We recently had a track meet here with an open age group. It had all types of events including the pole vault, our coach wants me to learn to pole vault in the worst way. He said I can win a gold medal if I enter a few of the events. What cracks me up is no 3200 for my age group, what? I'm too old to run 3200m I guess ha ha!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @rusgolden @mobycarp I've never done a half marathon before and I'm trying to be ready for my first on 6/24. The plan increases from 9 miles long run last week (and it was tough because it was super hot and not much shade on the route I took) to 13 miles this "weekend" and then up to 14 miles the following weekend... then HM on the following weekend.

Mileage during the week is 5 miles x 3 days this week, 6 miles x 3 days next week (will do while traveling for work - different challenge, but not as bad), and then 7 miles x 3 days the week prior to the HM. Hoping for 2 rest days between the last training run (7 miles) and the HM. My goal is only to finish, not to win. Yes, there is a huge psychological benefit to knowing I can do 13 miles straight before going out and trying to actually finish on my own. And the plan is to basically do that twice before the event.

The plan is to spend 6 days backpacking starting the day after the HM, so doing 13 miles Thurs. and then going backpacking for the weekend is good practice anyway.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 that sounds a pretty full-on plan - especially the 7miles 3x a week just before the HM.

I did just over 13miles once before my HM. That was at a very slow pace given the terrain and there was a brief lunch stop. Like you I just wanted to confirm I could do the distance. I did only a couple of short runs (2-3miles) the week before and nothing two days before.

Can you do a back-to-back to simulate a long run? I'd be tempted to try and do just the one at the distance, the week before say do 7/8 and then up to around 4 during the week before. I'm saying all this from gut instinct however.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    @rusgolden @mobycarp I've never done a half marathon before and I'm trying to be ready for my first on 6/24. The plan increases from 9 miles long run last week (and it was tough because it was super hot and not much shade on the route I took) to 13 miles this "weekend" and then up to 14 miles the following weekend... then HM on the following weekend.

Mileage during the week is 5 miles x 3 days this week, 6 miles x 3 days next week (will do while traveling for work - different challenge, but not as bad), and then 7 miles x 3 days the week prior to the HM. Hoping for 2 rest days between the last training run (7 miles) and the HM. My goal is only to finish, not to win. Yes, there is a huge psychological benefit to knowing I can do 13 miles straight before going out and trying to actually finish on my own. And the plan is to basically do that twice before the event.

The plan is to spend 6 days backpacking starting the day after the HM, so doing 13 miles Thurs. and then going backpacking for the weekend is good practice anyway.

Wowza! Quite the plan there! I defer to @MobyCarp as he has a LOT more experience, but just giving my 2 cents as someone who recently went thru training for 1st HM. My plan's longest run was 12 miles (weekly mileage of 34 miles that week) and it was 3 weeks before the race, then went down to long runs of 8 miles (weekly mileage of 27-29) the last 2 weeks. I do think you need to get at least one of those long runs in before the race, but maybe not both?? My goal wasn't to win either, just to finish (although I did have some target finish goals that I ended up exceeding). One thing about running early in the morning... it's always shady! :smile:

Good luck!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Oh, and six days backpacking straight after? I could barely keep my eyes open to WORK after mine.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Oh, and six days backpacking straight after? I could barely keep my eyes open to WORK after mine.

Agreed... and the blisters... it wasn't horrible for me, but you should probably count on having a few to deal with when hiking and would suggest some anti-chaff balm on any seams, nipples, nether regions especially if it will be hot. :wink:
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Embrace the Suck MFP Monthly Running Challenge T-shirts!

(Hope these work!)

Men's T-shirt $19.95:

https://www.zazzle.com/mens_embrace_the_suck_running_t_shirt-235812395687526312

They're both made of moisture-wicking fabric. Not sure if you can edit the colours.

I get the minimum royalty per T-shirt I could set (5%) in the store, which works out at less than 90c per shirt.

15% Off Sitewide | Use Code: ZAZSHOPZSITE | Ends Tomorrow |

or if you sign up to get emails when visiting the site first, you get a 20% off code.

Thank you... ordered. They had another promo code that appeared when I went to the link and it was also for 15% off.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Ohhim Thanks for the race report. Looks like you did great! Your HM time is pretty darn awesome, and coming at the end of a half IronMan it's even more impressive!
    and the input on running the 5k.

I technically only have 1 rest day before the 5k, since my plan has a 5 mile fartlek on Wednesday next week, but I could, move it to 2 days, get 2 solid rest days and then run the 5k on pretty darn fresh legs.