Is it better to not eat??

Options
halfbreed1246
halfbreed1246 Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'll get right to the point and then I'll give some background info for those interested. Any and all advice welcomed please. Sometimes, because of my work, I do not have access to healthier choices in food. So my question is, is it better to skip eating? Do I choose the lesser or two evils (grilled chicken sandwich at a fast food joint...or salad) do I stop at gas station and grab some beef jerky? Now the background, I'm about 115lbs overweight, I quit smoking 5 weeks ago after 15+ years of smoking, I've been soda free for 2+ weeks, and I've been making a conscious effort to eat better and at least walk or shoot some hoops in the evening to work up a sweat for about 5 days. Today I couldn't find anything to eat for lunch (mainly due to being in a hurry and not educated in what foods to eat) so I skipped a meal after driving around in circles. The emotional reaction I had to skipping a meal was intense and depressing and I do not want to feel this again.(I'm not sure a 36 year old man should be crying out of frustration from 1 meal) Did I make the right choice? I'm to scared to eat anything that I'm not 100% confident in for fear of falling off the "wagon". please help!!

Replies

• mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting: postponing the meal. Alot of people have success doing this to lose weight and help maintain calorie deficit.
    other option: pack a lunch
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting in the habit of packing snacks and a lunch in the morning, or the night before. Its cheaper than eating out too and then you are in control of your portions and can weigh everything accuratly with a food scale! And as far as convenience store, do you think that you would be too tempted with the candy and sodas there in these early stages? I would keep that in mind. If you don't have a binging problem, than you're probably ok to to that.
    Its ok to have treats in moderation if you can figure them in to your diet, I personally like to eat more whole foods so that I get more volume of food for the calories I'm allotted, but I definitely enjoy little treats on occasion. Good luck! You've got this :) .
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    So some of the 'healthier options' are just as bad.. .The chili is often a happy surprise calorie wise. Which fast food place are you looking at?
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Little story here; point is it is better to eat something (even if it's not very healthy. Here's the story: I was in the A.F. Reserves and had a very busy Saturday; missed lunch @ the dinning hall. We had a short break so I went to the base exchange and got a Polish sausage (on a bun). Got back to the office and ate it (along w/some water). Anyway, my supervisor (a dedicated bodybuilder) ask the other woman what she had for lunch (he saw what I ate); she said nothing. He commented what I did was better than what she did--eating nothing. Eat as healthy as you can; intermittent fasting is fine as long as it's part of your overall plan (and you don't do it more than recommended).
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You can keep a small cooler in the back seat of your car, put a salad and some fruit and a drink and yogurt in there (don't forget to pack a spoon!). Have a couple lunch sacks of nuts or granola bars,too. It takes a little planning on your part, but you'll be in control of what your choices are.

I can't function when I skip lunch, I just feel so low energy. You need the fuel to do your job, I bet, and for your sanity.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with fast food in moderation. I would have gone with that, because the jerky wouldn't have been enough for me.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    if you are forced to go into a fast food place, ask for their nutrition information ( if you are inside) or see if they have calories posted beside the menu items on the drive through. Depending on your targets, you probably want to aim for something that is in the neighborhood of 5-600 calories for a single meal. This often means at a burger joint getting just the burger ( no pop and fries). Its ok. its a decent choice given the options and no SINGLE meal is going to ruin your journey. Just exercise portion control. Remember that soda/pop and fries will almost always double the meal calories ( a 600 burger is suddenly a 1200 meal).

So dont feel bad about having a single slice of pizza or a burger or a few tacos whatever your choices are forced into. Portion control and avoid the sides unless you have planned for it. And even if you do go over, you can adjust the rest of your day to manage it.

• halfbreed1246
    Options
    I'm not worried about the binging, it's more of failing by accidently eating the wrong thing that freaks me out.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    No, it's not better to not eat, but I definitely understand the mental gymnastics you went through today. If you are like me, you have probably realized that this "fast food" is somewhat addicting. It is very, very hard for me to eat those types of meals, even in small portions, and not go crazy with it. It draws me in, even though I can say, it's not very good. I am afraid of setting food in there after days and days of healthy eating and have that "kid's meal" suck me back into it's feeling of comfort. But...I think you should do it. Don't not eat. A McDonald's hamburger, small fries even, and some water is pretty low cal. Drop the fries and get a side salad, even better. I haven't tried it out yet, but Wendy's is supposed to have some very diet friendly options: chili, simple baked potato or salad.

Since you know your lifestyle, I suggest a little homework. Go on all the fast food sites and find some meals that fit your lunch calorie goal and memorize them. Since you're a man, you probably get a good amount (maybe 600 calories for lunch??). Right down every place and what to order and keep it in your car. You have options: Wendy's, McDonald's, Subway, Panera.. plenty of people have lost weight having to eat out. Just make sure you are prepared and you are strict with what you order.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    It's okay to shed a few, at 46 I cried at some points. Give yourself some time to learn about nutrition and also learn to listen to your body. Nothing really works well without fuel, even if for a time its not optimal fuel :)

Whatever you would have eaten before MFP, eat less. You can lose weight eating what works for you and your lifestyle, it might change later but right now small steps in the right direction are where you are at.

Be kind to yourself, this is a game changer - but one of the greatest you'll be part of.
  • halfbreed1246
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    So some of the 'healthier options' are just as bad.. .The chili is often a happy surprise calorie wise. Which fast food place are you looking at?

My options were McDonald's and chickfila
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

My options were McDonald's and chickfila

My son used to work for ChickFilA--get the chicken wrap. The other good choice is Chicken Noodle Soup with the side garden salad. Look up their most diet friendly dressing--I forget which one it is. Not sure how you feel about artificial sweeteners but they have their Splenda Lemonade. Their lowest calorie meal is the grilled chicken nuggets and fruit cup. I ate that a few times but I will say it's not overly satisfying.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Another option is to make snack packs to put in your purse. Little baggies with nuts/seeds/dried fruit/ect so that you always have something on hand.

Beware of this option. Nuts and seeds are incredibly high in fat calories and not very satisfying overall. Protein bars or beef jerky is a far better option here.

If you want to stop being afraid of food then take charge right now. You can make the choice to eat a certain number of calories, a certain amount of protein and log your food. Use MFP. That's what it's for. It is a great tool for taking charge of what you eat. Make it your new way of life and you will never have to stress out again. It's actual simple. Log everything you eat. Over time you will learn what calories a lot of foods have and be able to make educated decisions. Take the time to learn. It is a great investment and well worth it. It will change your life forever. I can now go to a buffet and pick food and estimate and know truly how many calories I am eating but I had to work hard for a few years logging all my food and learning how many calories things have. I feel so free now. I still log my food but occasionally I can confidently take a day off and still do ok. Do research ahead of time on the fast food restaurants around your work and learn what your best options are. I know Taco Bell mini quesadillas on the value meal are high in protein and fairly low in calories so that's what I order there. McDs has a lot of crap food and salad doesn't do it for me so I don't go there unless I have to. But when I do grilled chicken without the bun is the way to go. Wendy's chili is pretty solid. Starbucks skinny vanilla latte vente is Perfect at 150 calories and 15g of protein plus a caffeine boost.
    The key is to invest time educating yourself. This is knowledge worth taking time to learn. It's truly too bad they don't teach it in schools. It's far more valuable than some of the other things they do teach! It would have saved me a lot of heartache. lol Of course I probably wouldn't have listened back then. :wink:

• halfbreed1246
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied here. With so many "opinions" out there it can be overwhelming. A few of you have some solid points and good tips. It's much appreciated. (: