FIDGET SPINNERS

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    jenibethbu wrote: »
    We have one. For my son. He has ADHD. They help him focus in class. But now that everyone and their mom has bought one the teacher removed them from the class and he's having trouble focusing again.
    If your son has diagnosed ADHD, have the spinner and/or fidget cube added to his 504 plan...If this truly enhances his ability to focus & succeed, his teachers will be on board!

Even adding it to an IEP teachers are faced with it effecting other students around, especially in younger grades.
  • Lorri127
    Lorri127 Posts: 36 Member
    Yes, all of this is fine and good... but how many calories will I burn???? :#;)
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Lorri127 wrote: »

they are fun but i do not think theses should be a work out product. best guess 2 for a hour maybe more but this is not a calorie burner.
  • Lorri127
    Lorri127 Posts: 36 Member
    Lorri127 wrote: »

they are fun but i do not think theses should be a work out product. best guess 2 for a hour maybe more but this is not a calorie burner.

I was totally kidding!! haha!
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    My son has had one for years and never had a problem being able to use it in class to help with his focus. This last year though they became a toy for all the kids and now my son can't even use his, unfortunately.

That's a shame. Same thing happened to my friend's kid who is also in my daughter's class. He's a high functioning autistic & it helped him focus a lot, but now he can't use it for the same reasons.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I have 6.
    I can spin one on my nose and one on each hand.
    Okay...my son has 6, but I let him use them once in a while
  • itsy_bitsy_spider
    itsy_bitsy_spider Posts: 292 Member
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    jenibethbu wrote: »
    We have one. For my son. He has ADHD. They help him focus in class. But now that everyone and their mom has bought one the teacher removed them from the class and he's having trouble focusing again.
    If your son has diagnosed ADHD, have the spinner and/or fidget cube added to his 504 plan...If this truly enhances his ability to focus & succeed, his teachers will be on board!

Even adding it to an IEP teachers are faced with it effecting other students around, especially in younger grades.

An IEP is a legal document, so if it's on there, it has to be enforced. But it's tricky because ultimately teachers have to read their kids. I have kids in my class all over the spectrum, and you just have to read them and see if they're really using it to help with focus or if it's becoming more of a distraction; whether it's helping or hindering their learning. Frequent comprehension checks help determine that. If it's not working, another strategy can be tried. I just reiterate their purpose occasionally, and the kids are doing fine with them. It could be worse... they could be as obsessed with--DUN DUN DUNNNN!!--recorders!! Oh, the horror. I think the melody has been taken from teachers' tears lol
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    Hate fidget spinners.
    Love fidget spinner memes.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    i dont get it. i have one, i bought one as a gag gift for my brother, got one for myself.

it spins, then what?
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    I bought each kid one for $4. They lost them inside of a couple days. When they whined for new ones I pointed to the gigantic swi g set and said "there ya go".

It's a fad that should be over by next week
  • Sugarand_spice
    Sugarand_spice Posts: 42 Member
    I had a go with one yesterday. I don't get it either , just spins round
    I understand it's use for children with ADHD etc but for anything else I just don't understand it
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    At the school where I work, spinners are banned for ALL kids but those prescribed a diversion are allowed fidget cubes, tangle toys or bits of blu-tack. When I was young "clackers" were the big thing, banned because they were apt to shatter and send pieces flying. Every generation has something!
  • princess0lexi
    I have a bunch of them...
    962zscgttuwm.jpg

thats creepy
  • FireTurtle75
    mazdauk wrote: »
    When I was young "clackers" were the big thing, banned because they were apt to shatter and send pieces flying. Every generation has something!
    When I was young the toy that got banned that we missed the most was lawn darts.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    I once dated a girl from Chula Vista who was fidget spinner, she damn sure was.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    962zscgttuwm.jpg

thats creepy

Do you even know what they are?

I am definitely guessing that they dont
  • princess0lexi
    962zscgttuwm.jpg

thats creepy

some type of bug.
  • FireTurtle75
    edited June 2017

I do, their source makes me a happy turtle every time I eat pancakes or waffles
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    962zscgttuwm.jpg

thats creepy

some type of bug.

well....