Any recommendations for a good colon cleanse?

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    And OP - I know we're poking fun, but all of these very silly suggestions for things that will give you diarrhea are just as legitimate as anything that markets itself as a colon cleanse.

It's nothing more than a way to get you to pay money to spend hours on the toilet with cramps. Ask yourself why something which, when unplanned and unexpected is a sickness, is suddenly beneficial when you slot it into your calendar.

No one ever gets over a case of food poisoning and celebrates how clean their colon feels and how detoxed they are.

Never said I was doing it to detox. There are benefits to getting rid of build up in your colon. I'm not talking about doing some salt water flush type of thing to spend 6 hours back and forth between the toilet, I'm talking about a cleanse to help eliminate any build up in my colon to help with nutrient absorption.

No worries though. I'll go elsewhere

Wait...you were actually serious???

I figured that was all for a good bro chuckle.

Based on other posts I knew he was serious. I think he could learn a lot from people on here if he was willing to.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    And OP - I know we're poking fun, but all of these very silly suggestions for things that will give you diarrhea are just as legitimate as anything that markets itself as a colon cleanse.

It's nothing more than a way to get you to pay money to spend hours on the toilet with cramps. Ask yourself why something which, when unplanned and unexpected is a sickness, is suddenly beneficial when you slot it into your calendar.

No one ever gets over a case of food poisoning and celebrates how clean their colon feels and how detoxed they are.

Never said I was doing it to detox. There are benefits to getting rid of build up in your colon. I'm not talking about doing some salt water flush type of thing to spend 6 hours back and forth between the toilet, I'm talking about a cleanse to help eliminate any build up in my colon to help with nutrient absorption.

Based on other posts I knew he was serious. I think he could learn a lot from people on here if he was willing to.

You right

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I had the best colon cleanse on May 5th! I had it and all my gi tract below it removed (total proctocolectomy). I don't necessarily recommend it though lol

:grimace: That does NOT sound fun!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Well, just on the off chance that it might do any good, here's some evidence-based information explaining why colon cleanses (and detoxes) are scams and not supported by any actual research:

https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/
  • usmcmp
    Options

Well, just on the off chance that it might do any good, here's some evidence-based information explaining why colon cleanses (and detoxes) are scams and not supported by any actual research:

https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/

I also shared one earlier from Mayo Clinic stating that they are potentially dangerous and that they don't actually have a valid purpose, but that if someone absolutely insists on doing one they need to talk to their doctor and take precautions.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    A 3kg ( 6lb ) bag of Fresh Red Cherries works wonders( they are now in season in NA ) and being fresh fruit they are healthy.
    Just make sure you are extremely close to the porcelain throne, double flush during the moment and rehydrate like mad.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Just wanting to do a little colon cleanse and wanted to see if anyone had any great ones they liked?

Thanks for the help!
    Just eat a bag of prunes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    A 3kg ( 6lb ) bag of Fresh Red Cherries works wonders( they are now in season in NA ) and being fresh fruit they are healthy.
    Just make sure you are extremely close to the porcelain throne, double flush during the moment and rehydrate like mad.

And don't freak out at the colour.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    OP,

Instead of a colon cleanse, have you tried accurately tracking your fiber intake?

Speaking from experience, tracking and upping my fiber intake to between 38 and 45 grams a day with a lot of water got everything moving really well. I didn't take a big fiber supplement either. Adding more vegetables, fruit, legumes, and quinoa did the trick. I'm pretty sure I cleansed any residual material...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    phoenixmed wrote: »
    The old theory of cleansing /detoxification (colon or hepatic) comes from the middle age theory that all de diseases come from an imbalance of one of the 4 humours. blood. *kitten*. (atrabile) Mucus (phlegma) and bile. This is the same medicinal theory that treated a fever (such as someone with a pneumonia)by slicing open the veins and letting the blood fall. More than 500 years later people still believe they need to clean... It is disappointing. A cleaning is bad for your body and your electrolyte homeostasis. And the only weight you are going to lose is water from deshydratation. Dont do that.

So I shouldn't still be using leeches to cleanse my blood either???

:D
  • usmcmp
    Options
    The old theory of cleansing /detoxification (colon or hepatic) comes from the middle age theory that all de diseases come from an imbalance of one of the 4 humours. blood. *kitten*. (atrabile) Mucus (phlegma) and bile. This is the same medicinal theory that treated a fever (such as someone with a pneumonia)by slicing open the veins and letting the blood fall. More than 500 years later people still believe they need to clean... It is disappointing. A cleaning is bad for your body and your electrolyte homeostasis. And the only weight you are going to lose is water from deshydratation. Dont do that.

You should, but nobody else :D
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Nope, but they are great to help perfusion of an area, such as reattached fingers.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Beer. Lots of beer.

I find hard cider is way worse/better

Vodka for me ;)
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would recommend seeing a professional.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Are you constipated? Usually before I resort to an enema, I try to increase my fluid and fiber (green leafy veggies and whatnot) intake for a few days. That usually seems to help. I've also used prune juice. The first time though I overdrank it and was up all night (it's sweet so I just had a cup and thought that would be it...I underestimated how strong it can be.)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Best advice here.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Roto-rooter?
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Smooth Move Tea (Senna Tea). Guaranteed have you poopin' by morning. Just make sure you don't have an 8:00am meeting because you're going to need a few trips to the bathroom before your done.