Any recommendations for a good colon cleanse?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    If you really believe you have a serious intestinal issue and need to cleanse you should get yourself to a gastroenterologist or the ER asap. I'm not a Dr nor do I play one on tv but I'm a gi patient (crohn's) so I have done tons of research on everything related to intestinal health and there are no legit sources that recommend these cleanses. In fact they highly disagree with them and believe they can cause more harm than good.

A personal antidote: back in the day when I was an active anorexic I abused laxatives (senna to be exact which is one of the ingredients in your product if choice). This was pre crohn's. It took years for me to get somewhat normal and I highly suspect that it played a big part in me developing crohn's. It's not something you should play around with. As I said earlier I just lost my colon, rectum and *kitten* a little over 2 years post diagnosis because of severe disease complications (fistulas). I would not wish fistulas on my worst enemy!

Damn, woman. I sincerely wish for you the best of future health.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    And OP - I know we're poking fun, but all of these very silly suggestions for things that will give you diarrhea are just as legitimate as anything that markets itself as a colon cleanse.

It's nothing more than a way to get you to pay money to spend hours on the toilet with cramps. Ask yourself why something which, when unplanned and unexpected is a sickness, is suddenly beneficial when you slot it into your calendar.

No one ever gets over a case of food poisoning and celebrates how clean their colon feels and how detoxed they are.

I know you're right. Had a case of Salmonella. Spent three days in the bathroom then three days in the gastrointestinal unit!

Don't do that to yourself.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    And OP - I know we're poking fun, but all of these very silly suggestions for things that will give you diarrhea are just as legitimate as anything that markets itself as a colon cleanse.

It's nothing more than a way to get you to pay money to spend hours on the toilet with cramps. Ask yourself why something which, when unplanned and unexpected is a sickness, is suddenly beneficial when you slot it into your calendar.

No one ever gets over a case of food poisoning and celebrates how clean their colon feels and how detoxed they are.

Never said I was doing it to detox. There are benefits to getting rid of build up in your colon. I'm not talking about doing some salt water flush type of thing to spend 6 hours back and forth between the toilet, I'm talking about a cleanse to help eliminate any build up in my colon to help with nutrient absorption.

No worries though. I'll go elsewhere

I almost never fray into these discussions but I'm going to on this one because you people clearly have misconceptions about what a colon cleanse is/does. First off, I've never had a colon cleanse give me diarrhea. I'm sure there are some out there that do that, but a decent one will not. Second, every colon cleanse I've ever done has resulted in nothing more then extra trips to the bathroom to empty the bowel of normal, everyday, waste that has collected and not passed well. Someone is going to say, then why do one? Because the body does get build up in the colon/bowel and a good cleanse will take away the excesses faster and easier then many other methods. After a detox/cleanse I generally experience clearer skin, feel better overall, and have more energy. Fasting will do the same thing. So there is more then one way to skin a cat. Third, I clearly see some people coming here wanting to detox/cleanse as a weight loss method. THAT, does not work, nor does it even make sense.

The body does have its own detox pathways. What y'all fail to "get" is that our bodies also take in via the skin and air (and even the crappy food we sometimes eat), chemicals and waste that are not good for our bodies, nor are our bodies good at eliminating etc. If this weren't the case, then they wouldn't have issues with water contaminated with hormones and antibiotics affecting people's health because everyone would magically eliminate them out. But we don't eliminate out everything. In a perfect world, maybe, but not in this one. An occasional juice detox, fasting (a day or two) detox, whatever, is not necessarily bad for the body. There will always be extremes on both ends of the spectrum, but you guys are on the extreme on the opposite end of a good detox/cleanse. There is a middle ground. It would do you well to find it.

I absolutely support taking probiotics while you're doing a cleanse because you can (and will if you're not careful) kill off your good bacteria which is not the goal. So if you're going to do an herbal cleanse of any type (in particular), always take a good probiotic at night on an empty stomach to replenish your gut (heck, a probiotic daily is just a good idea). This is not so much an issue if you're doing a fresh juice cleanse or regular fasting for a day or two. It is mostly an issue for herbal types of cleanses.

OP, as for a good cleanse, the best one I have ever used is Dr. Schulze's cleanse. It does not taste bad - most are awful. It's really easy to do (it's not time consuming). And it never gave me diarrhea. He makes some crazy claims and I don't endorse his stuff because I believe what he is saying (beyond just it's good for a general detox). I like his cleanse products because of their ingredients and they have been the gentlest and least time consuming of the ones I've tried over the years. The unfortunate reality is that a lot of natural health stuff makes claims they shouldn't because it's the only way to catch people's attention to try alternatives. The true reality is, there are a lot of good natural health things out there that do work well but never gain traction because their voice isn't the loudest and the cost of studies to prove their effectiveness are horribly expensive. And just like the medical world, people are out to make money. Discernment is always a must. Nonetheless, you asked about a cleanse and this is the one I would recommend above others I've used.

As with all things in this world, do your research, know your body (if you're one that does tend easily toward diarrhea then any cleanse you do should be cut in half dosage wise), and be well.

As for the rest of you, I don't even want to hear it. OP asked for an answer and I gave him one. A thorough and balanced answer.

All the best, OP.

Wow! Do you have your poo tested? How do you know you have eliminated said chemicals? Eliminating all bacteria from your gut to get it replaced by ingesting a probiotic? Which probiotic and how does it pass the stomach acid unscathed.

Woo, im sorry I only got halfway through your reply. I'll keep reading if I can.

Finished reading. So you don't want to hear the replies. Got it.

Op, don't listen to this guy.

Yes, seriously. I will recommend a probiotic, though. I know a lot of people are skeptical about them, but I have been suffering from the opposite problem you've had since taking a course of antibiotics a year a half ago and have now sorted those issues out thanks to starting a good probiotic.

If you chronically have issues with constipation, try supplementing with magnesium and upping your intake of fibrous vegetables and whole grains and make sure your fluid intake is good.

If you have chronic issues with constipation you should see a medical professional because that is a medical problem. You should not treat chronic medical problems without talking to a doctor and following recommendations. Chronic constipation can be a symptom of an impacted bowel or an obstruction.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Never said I was doing it to detox. There are benefits to getting rid of build up in your colon. I'm not talking about doing some salt water flush type of thing to spend 6 hours back and forth between the toilet, I'm talking about a cleanse to help eliminate any build up in my colon to help with nutrient absorption.

I almost never fray into these discussions but I'm going to on this one because you people clearly have misconceptions about what a colon cleanse is/does. First off, I've never had a colon cleanse give me diarrhea. I'm sure there are some out there that do that, but a decent one will not. Second, every colon cleanse I've ever done has resulted in nothing more then extra trips to the bathroom to empty the bowel of normal, everyday, waste that has collected and not passed well. Someone is going to say, then why do one? Because the body does get build up in the colon/bowel and a good cleanse will take away the excesses faster and easier then many other methods. After a detox/cleanse I generally experience clearer skin, feel better overall, and have more energy. Fasting will do the same thing. So there is more then one way to skin a cat. Third, I clearly see some people coming here wanting to detox/cleanse as a weight loss method. THAT, does not work, nor does it even make sense.

The body does have its own detox pathways. What y'all fail to "get" is that our bodies also take in via the skin and air (and even the crappy food we sometimes eat), chemicals and waste that are not good for our bodies, nor are our bodies good at eliminating etc. If this weren't the case, then they wouldn't have issues with water contaminated with hormones and antibiotics affecting people's health because everyone would magically eliminate them out. But we don't eliminate out everything. In a perfect world, maybe, but not in this one. An occasional juice detox, fasting (a day or two) detox, whatever, is not necessarily bad for the body. There will always be extremes on both ends of the spectrum, but you guys are on the extreme on the opposite end of a good detox/cleanse. There is a middle ground. It would do you well to find it.

I absolutely support taking probiotics while you're doing a cleanse because you can (and will if you're not careful) kill off your good bacteria which is not the goal. So if you're going to do an herbal cleanse of any type (in particular), always take a good probiotic at night on an empty stomach to replenish your gut (heck, a probiotic daily is just a good idea). This is not so much an issue if you're doing a fresh juice cleanse or regular fasting for a day or two. It is mostly an issue for herbal types of cleanses.

OP, as for a good cleanse, the best one I have ever used is Dr. Schulze's cleanse. It does not taste bad - most are awful. It's really easy to do (it's not time consuming). And it never gave me diarrhea. He makes some crazy claims and I don't endorse his stuff because I believe what he is saying (beyond just it's good for a general detox). I like his cleanse products because of their ingredients and they have been the gentlest and least time consuming of the ones I've tried over the years. The unfortunate reality is that a lot of natural health stuff makes claims they shouldn't because it's the only way to catch people's attention to try alternatives. The true reality is, there are a lot of good natural health things out there that do work well but never gain traction because their voice isn't the loudest and the cost of studies to prove their effectiveness are horribly expensive. And just like the medical world, people are out to make money. Discernment is always a must. Nonetheless, you asked about a cleanse and this is the one I would recommend above others I've used.

As with all things in this world, do your research, know your body (if you're one that does tend easily toward diarrhea then any cleanse you do should be cut in half dosage wise), and be well.

As for the rest of you, I don't even want to hear it. OP asked for an answer and I gave him one. A thorough and balanced answer.

All the best, OP.

Wow! Do you have your poo tested? How do you know you have eliminated said chemicals? Eliminating all bacteria from your gut to get it replaced by ingesting a probiotic? Which probiotic and how does it pass the stomach acid unscathed.

Woo, im sorry I only got halfway through your reply. I'll keep reading if I can.

Yes, seriously. I will recommend a probiotic, though. I know a lot of people are skeptical about them, but I have been suffering from the opposite problem you've had since taking a course of antibiotics a year a half ago and have now sorted those issues out thanks to starting a good probiotic.

If you chronically have issues with constipation, try supplementing with magnesium and upping your intake of fibrous vegetables and whole grains and make sure your fluid intake is good.

If you have chronic issues with constipation you should see a medical professional because that is a medical problem. You should not treat chronic medical problems without talking to a doctor and following recommendations. Chronic constipation can be a symptom of an impacted bowel or an obstruction.

Yes, of course. I just meant mild constipation, not anything serious.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

All the best, OP.

I have taken many kinds of probiotics over the years but I have found, for me, the remedy for constipation (a life long struggle) was that I was not eating enough fruit and vegetables. I did the 10 day fruit/vegetable challenge, it was life changing for me. Happy dance!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

All the best, OP.

$58 for Curaçao and Cape Aloe Leaf, Senna Leaf and Pod, Cascara Sagrada Aged Bark, Oregon Grape Root, Hawaiian Yellow Ginger Root, Garlic Bulb, Habanero Pepper.

Senna is a laxative, ginger is supposed to help calm the stomach, habanero will make it burn on the way out to make you really feel like you got rid of toxins, and the rest are to ensure you don't get nasty tasting burps after taking it.

Also, your probiotics don't do what you think they do. You should be thankful your stomach acid prevents microorganisms from going further down your digestive tract. The best way to replenish the good bacteria in your intestinal tract is a poop transplant.

that sounds like a crappy procedure....

Oh FMT definitely is crappy lol but does wonders treating c. Diff
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I just HAD to click this didn't I?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

$58 for Curaçao and Cape Aloe Leaf, Senna Leaf and Pod, Cascara Sagrada Aged Bark, Oregon Grape Root, Hawaiian Yellow Ginger Root, Garlic Bulb, Habanero Pepper.

Also, your probiotics don't do what you think they do. You should be thankful your stomach acid prevents microorganisms from going further down your digestive tract. The best way to replenish the good bacteria in your intestinal tract is a poop transplant.

What someone wants to pay for an herbal cleanse (vs. buying the herbs themselves) shouldn't really matter to anyone else. I have huge issues with what a doctor charges to draw my blood and run tests when I can get all the same tests and blood draw done on my own for $50 (vs. $150+). As I said, everyone is out to make money, discernment is wise. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. My guess is you'd gladly pay $150 to get your blood drawn at the doctors office while I'll gladly pay to have the herbs pre-measured, etc. for me. And neither is wrong. They are both personal choices.

Yes, probiotics do work. Which ones a person uses matters (and determines how far down the digestive tract they make it). You don't know what you think you know about probiotics.

When my kids were little we called this "back door probiotics" because if they had diarrhea the fastest way to stop it was to open a probiotic capsule and use a q-tip to gently put the probiotic powder right at the opening of the *kitten*. Diarrhea stops FAST with this method. So, yes, this is an excellent way to replenish good bacteria and it will even stop diarrhea. BTW, there is one alternative healthcare method (what you guys call "woo") that has been practicing a method of this for years. The medical profession is quite slow at catching up to it. It's quite effective (by far the most effective IMO).
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

All the best, OP.

Senna is a laxative, ginger is supposed to help calm the stomach, habanero will make it burn on the way out to make you really feel like you got rid of toxins, and the rest are to ensure you don't get nasty tasting burps after taking it.

that sounds like a crappy procedure....

Oh FMT definitely is crappy lol but does wonders treating c. Diff

Yup, my mom got c. Diff at age 91. Almost killed her. I just can't fathom someone deliberately wanted to deplete their body by deliberately inducing a 'cleanse.' One of the most misguided and unnecessary things I've ever heard of. :(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A lot of those so-called cleansing products are a clay particle suspension. They clay itself is harmless (though the act of cleansing is not), but when it exits your digestive tract, it looks like you just evacuated a sea creature.

It's snake oil, trickery, slight of hand. Health entertainment. You been had.

I've seen those Bowtrol pictures...thanks for enlightening me. I have bentonite clay for external use and now I'm curious about passing sea creatures, lol.

I was really sick in the 90s and found alternative methods helpful and conventional medicine useless, so I am more open to so-called "woo."

@rdridi12 if I were to try a cleanse I would do the psyllium/bentonite recipe discussed here, using the smaller quantities in the second article:

http://www.astrodreamadvisor.com/Body_B&P.html
    http://www.allaboutfasting.com/colon-cleanse-recipe.html
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    25 grams of Creatine.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

The problem though is this is not a thing. You have bad information. Colons do not get build up in them which prevents nutrient absorption, you have been told something which is incorrect.

Seriously, it won't help you and can potentially harm you by reducing helpful gut flora.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

What someone wants to pay for an herbal cleanse (vs. buying the herbs themselves) shouldn't really matter to anyone else. I have huge issues with what a doctor charges to draw my blood and run tests when I can get all the same tests and blood draw done on my own for $50 (vs. $150+). As I said, everyone is out to make money, discernment is wise. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. My guess is you'd gladly pay $150 to get your blood drawn at the doctors office while I'll gladly pay to have the herbs pre-measured, etc. for me. And neither is wrong. They are both personal choices.

Yes, probiotics do work. Which ones a person uses matters (and determines how far down the digestive tract they make it). You don't know what you think you know about probiotics.

When my kids were little we called this "back door probiotics" because if they had diarrhea the fastest way to stop it was to open a probiotic capsule and use a q-tip to gently put the probiotic powder right at the opening of the *kitten*. Diarrhea stops FAST with this method. So, yes, this is an excellent way to replenish good bacteria and it will even stop diarrhea. BTW, there is one alternative healthcare method (what you guys call "woo") that has been practicing a method of this for years. The medical profession is quite slow at catching up to it. It's quite effective (by far the most effective IMO).

well certain sects of the amish also shove potato up their butts to "help" with hemorrhoids but I dont suggest trying it.I dont see how rubbing probiotic on your (as grandma would say) "your pucker" is going to prevent or stop diarrhea when its caused from an internal issue
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I will be honest.. 3 pages and i am shocked nobody has suggested it. As much as i love it too.

Taco bell?

Someone did say Chipotle awhile back...
  • dale050467
    dale050467 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Halo Top
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

I have always had ibs issues. Sometimes this is the only thing that gets me through the hours of intensive labor cramps to deliver those poop babies! You can't take that away from me :'(:smiley:
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options

All the best, OP.

I'll second the magnesium supplement. After years of chronic constipation I discovered that 400mg of magnesium and a cup of hot coffee in the mornings keeps things moving on the regular. It's a miracle supplement if you ask me.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Having a regular poop every day is a really fabulous colon cleanse. And as a bonus, it doesn't cost anything more than your regular diet.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    Having a regular poop every day is a really fabulous colon cleanse. And as a bonus, it doesn't cost anything more than your regular diet.

Awesome, I have 4 cleanses a day!