Low carb (keto or otherwise) for June!

Options

Replies

• megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Would love some advice please. I've lost 9 pounds since 5/31 but the last 3 days nothing. I've been in ketosis and been within my macros of 5% carbs, 75% fat & 25% protein so anyone have ideas on why I might be stalled?

I would say, either do what GorillaNJ suggested, or, weigh in every single day but think of your weight as a weekly average of those weights and judge your loss on whether your weekly average is up, down or the same.

Everyone, but especially women, are prone to daily fluctuation based on water retention. So you shouldn't judge your loss based on your day-to-day weight. Also, as they say, weight loss is not linear you may be up one week and then drop several pounds the next. It's called the Woosh effect and it's a well-accepted theory about the way your body handles fat loss (as fat cells are depleted your body may retain water in those cells in place of fat, after a period of time, if you don't replace the fat your body will "empty" those cells causing you to see a relatively large drop in weight. Everyone's body is a little different in the rates that they retain and release water, for instance, women often have a woosh after their period and/or after ovulation). So, you may have decreased body fat, but your body is retaining water in those cells in anticipation of you "restocking" your body fat. If you don't "restock" then eventually the water will be "released" and you will see a scale drop. (Not a scientist here, so I apologize for any inaccuracies or poor terminology).

Also, consider using a tool like trendweight.com to help you see whether your weight is trending up, down or staying the same. This will give you a much better idea of your actually accomplishments.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    6/7

Total: 52
    Net: 51

Obviously not my best :( only 1 gram of fiber... so... yeah. I need to stop "fitting" sugary items into my carb alottment.

You got it... fitting in just does not work. Well at least not for me. Part of what I like about the Keto plan is it is simple, there are things I just have to say no to. You got this!
  • waterliliesss
    waterliliesss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    8 days have passed, Today I finally felt a lot more alert and energetic. today's carbs are 21-10=11 .. Ketosticks show dark purple.. Seem to be on right track.Just waiting for that whoosh effect to kick in
  • lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    34 - 11 = 23
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Total 23
    Net 12

You can attribute my extra low count to pure laziness last night. I got in from the gym, got the smoker going with some chicken legs in it and just sat down and relaxed. I did not even make a single veggie, even with my basket from the crop share sitting infront of me, dinner was chicken legs... they were SOOOO good. I think my oldest son is growing tired of it though, he asked me for money to go and buy a bag of rice LOL.
  • marieschneider1097
    marieschneider1097 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'll join with you guys! It's my first day!
  • wljohn
    wljohn Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    June 8th: Total carbs 30, net carbs 25
  • Kimberlyrobinson87
    Kimberlyrobinson87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    June 8th

Total calories: 1169

Total Carbs: 15g
    Net Carbs: 9g
  • jajohnso77
    jajohnso77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    8 days have passed, Today I finally felt a lot more alert and energetic. today's carbs are 21-10=11 .. Ketosticks show dark purple.. Seem to be on right track.Just waiting for that whoosh effect to kick in

Don't forget, keto stix only show an excess of ketones in your system. Once you are keto-adjusted and your ketones are no longer in excess, the color may fade to almost white / pale. That's not an indicator that you're doing something wrong or you are out of ketosis, so don't freak out if that happens.
  • jajohnso77
    Options
    June 8th

Total calories: 1255

Total Carbs: 31g
    Net Carbs: 26g
  • palsky
    palsky Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    14 net carbs.
    Big week of exams. Trying to manage stress think I've hit a weight loss stall. Keeping to the program as best I can. Previously I didn't have any carb cravings now I'm daydreaming of hot chips.
    Bought some expensive jerky and quest bars to have as back ups but not sure what the fuss is about quest bars I give them a 1/10. Shame they were 5 bucks.
  • jajohnso77
    Options
    palsky wrote: »
    14 net carbs.
    Big week of exams. Trying to manage stress think I've hit a weight loss stall. Keeping to the program as best I can. Previously I didn't have any carb cravings now I'm daydreaming of hot chips.
    Bought some expensive jerky and quest bars to have as back ups but not sure what the fuss is about quest bars I give them a 1/10. Shame they were 5 bucks.

I don't know if they have Vermont Meat Sticks in your stores but they are pretty awesome IMHO and a couple of the flavors are 0 sugars / carbs.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Took a day off....because why not!

103 carbs - 9 fiber = 94 net

I just had an apple for breakfast and Thai food for dinner. Very lo-cal. I lost a pound. ha ha
  • vixiwayhey
    vixiwayhey Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Started keto the last week of May. Starting weight was 160 pounds. Now down to 146. Only 20 more to go to reach my goal weight.

I have been trying to stick to in between 20 and 40 grams of carbs a day, but sometimes this has crept up to 50. When I did keto a few years a go I had no problem keeping to under 20 grams a day, but this time it has been more difficult. I think because I have been experimenting with going vegetarian/vegan. All my carbs pretty much come from veggies. Looking forward to adding in some berries once I reach my goal weight.
  • Kimberlyrobinson87
    Kimberlyrobinson87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    June 9th

Total Calories: 1538, I was 38 calories above goal that is not too bad in my opinion.

Total carbs: 21g
    Net carbs: 14g

• jenirvin9
    jenirvin9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to the group but I started keto for the first time on June 3rd.
    I started my weight loss journey January 1st @ 227 got down to 208. My mom passed away unexpectedly in March and I went back up to 215, after 7 days doing keto I'm down to 207. Love keto, don't really miss the carbs (except sushi rice) I do struggle with sugar though.
  • fatblatta
    Options
    30 total - 7 fiber = 23 net
  • fatblatta
    Options
    That was yesterday. This is today.

26 total - 7 fiber = 19 net.

Why I love LCHF - Smoked BBQ Ribs & Beef Brisket with a side of coleslaw for dinner!
  • jajohnso77
    Options
    Yesterday's numbers:

1361 Calories
    10g carbs - 6g fiber = 4g net carbs
  • Wheekern
    Wheekern Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi all! I restarted LCHF today. My starting weight is 181 (on my mom's scale).

Goals:
    Short term - Track my eating to reach a good macro ratio and meet my calorie goal; buy a scale.
    Long term - Lose about 45 pounds; Achieve healthy blood glucose levels.

Today: 1361, 22g