Why is bread the enemy?

Options

Replies

• Nicholas_39
    Nicholas_39 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I avoid regular bread because it has a lot of calories. I'd rather have something fatty/filling than bread. I do eat nettle bread, however, because it's only 24 kcal per piece and has an interesting taste and a lot of fiber.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    While this is separate from weight loss, I think bread can sometimes be viewed this way since gluten can negatively affect some individuals who don't have true celiac disease.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I am very finicky about how my bread is made and where the ingredients come from.

Much of the wheat in the US is GMO / Monsanto / Roundup derived.

Ref: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/real-reason-for-toxic-wheat-its-not-gluten/

I make my own bread with non-GMO / non-Monsanto / non-Roundup wheat that is processed in a factory that doesn't contain wheat that is GMO / Monsanto / Roundup derived.

(It's expensive and I don't eat a lot of bread for that reason.)

I do love bread, though, all kinds of it... so it's a bit sad.

When I eat wheat pasta I eat it in small amounts imported from Italy where GMO / Monsanto / Roundup is banned.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "Why is bread the enemy?" Bad P.R. on its (breads) behalf?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone but I think for some people it's probably just because it's a lot of extra calories. Eating a piece of meat and veggies for example, is a lot more filling than a sandwich of the same number of calories. At least for me it is.

I don't personally avoid bread. I eat sandwiches and rolls etc all the time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I know that there are a lot of people who eat low carb, and I understand the various reasons for that, though I don't eat that way myself.

But I feel like I'm always seeing people avoiding bread specifically without limiting other carbs or food made from processed grains. What's the reason for this? Why do so many people view bread as adversarial to weight loss?

they have been mislead by pseudo-science and woo woo peddlers telling them that if they just cut carbs and do nothing else all their health and weight loss problems will go away ...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Because bread made the arbitrary click bait lists of:
    "Foods You Should Never Eat IF You Want To Lose Weight"
    and
    "Avoid All White Foods If You Want To Lose Weight"

This is pretty much it. The OP isn't asking why some people choose not to eat bread. They're asking why it's so demonized. I personally hardly eat any bread. It just doesn't do anything for me and I have to be choosy with my calories. But that's not what the post is about as I understand it.

The answer: bad information meant not to make everyone healthier, but to make a few people rich from book and supplement sales, and click bait revenue.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I can imagine how this whole thing started: someone ate a lot of bread, woke up heavier next day (hello glycogen!), and decided that bread is evil and makes you fat. Same for pasta and sodium laden fast food. Because these foods are also easy to overeat, people who overeat them constantly look fatter. Conclusion: these foods are fattening based on my own personal experience and what I observed in other people. Fast forward a bit to a time where media has better reach, "fattening things" make for good headlines, and it snowballs from there. Like I said in my previous post, some other foods with similar effects are semi-protected from this fate by advertising.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm learning that I may be more insulin resistant than I thought I was. That said, I rarely eat bread or anything else that may spike my blood sugar, including other carbs like high sugar fruit (bananas, pineapples, etc.), pasta, and rice. I don't avoid them completely because...life. :) There was a point about a year ago where I thought all carbs was the enemy. But I'm learning a new way of looking at food and my body!

curious, do you also avoid protein because insulin spikes?
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I tend to skip bead simply because of the volume/calorie payoff. High in calories but not filling enough. I would rather take a large tortilla shell and make a massive stuffed wrap. Just more satisfying to me.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi there I have reduced my bread consumption due to being told i was a pre-diabetic and insulin resistant . in my case bread was basically what I lived off of daily. I work 12 hour shifts and would just order a large pizza to eat off of all day. I loved and still love bread but although I don't "count carbs" or completely avoid them, I try to eat a balanced diet and not just bread. I have lost 24 lbs in 3 months :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Because for me it's pretty much empty calories because it doesn't fill me up. Still love it though (and I make my own sourdough bread).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I know that there are a lot of people who eat low carb, and I understand the various reasons for that, though I don't eat that way myself.

But I feel like I'm always seeing people avoiding bread specifically without limiting other carbs or food made from processed grains. What's the reason for this? Why do so many people view bread as adversarial to weight loss?

These people are not on a low carb diet. They are either misinformed or choosing to not actually follow it - lip service only.

Sort of like how someone who is following a gluten free diet makes a big deal about ordering GF but then adds on a dessert.... As a celiac, that drives me nuts - it makes it harder to be taken seriously in GF needs.

I think some see bread as adversarial because it stimulates the appetite. For many, it is much easier to overeat breads and refined carbs than it is to overeat salmon, broccoli or apples. Some find it easier to lose weight when those trigger foods are limited or removed from the diet.

And then there are the long term low carbers who avoid bread, and other refined carbs, because it makes us feel better. It was good for our health.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It's not. Bread can fit just fine into your calorie goals, but like any other food, you might choose to eat a smaller portion of it or switch to a different version. It isn't inherently evil.
  • NikiS_8
    NikiS_8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Because processed white bread has a lot of calories and little nutritional value. I wouldn't say it is bread that is demonized but white bread. Whole grain breads are a different story.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    NikiS_8 wrote: »
    Because processed white bread has a lot of calories and little nutritional value. I wouldn't say it is bread that is demonized but white bread. Whole grain breads are a different story.

there is nothing wrong with eating white bread, this is the kind of woo woo that makes people think bread is "the enemy"
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm not purposely low-carb, but I guess I am kind of anti-bread or other random extra "carb." It frustrates me that everyone in my family believes there should be some random white carb (bread, chips, tortillas) on the table at every meal in addition to an otherwise full and balanced meal - just because. It encourages mindless nibbling, and I've had to make a really conscious effort to avoid those extras because they add up fast and add nothing to my dining experience, really. I don't go so far as to order a burger without the bun or anything, but if the bread isn't a reasonably necessary component of the meal, I avoid it and I secretly wish it weren't there in the first place.

Like others have said, it tends to be high in calories and it's usually just kind of not worth it, to me. It doesn't keep me full and it isn't satisfying in and of itself. I don't think bread is EVERYONE'S enemy, but it's one of my enemies, I suppose.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Bread is bad because it gives me migraines...except gluten free bread like Udi's which is delicious and which I enjoy on enough of a regular basis to keep the loaf from molding after I've bought it.

Beyond any health issues specific to the individual person (like celiacs or diabetes or whatever) there isn't any need to avoid bread. Especially if you like it, whiskey tango foxtrot is the point of being healthy if you can't enjoy your good health anyway? And awesome food is totally one of life's great joys!!!