Water

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    I know water is key but I have a question. Do you really have to drink half your weight in water or can you just drink water all the time and have the same results?

The result you get from drinking water is proper hydration. There's no magical amount of water...your urine should be pale yellow to almost clear...if it is, you are properly hydrated.

Hydration needs are highly variable...I ride a lot and live in the desert at over a mile high in elevation...my hydration needs are much different than someone living at sea level in a temperate climate who is more sedentary.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I drink water when my body tells me it needs it. That generally works out to four or five 20 oz bottles a day.
  • justjoyriding
    justjoyriding Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get to know your body and drink when you're thirsty. Remember, food and other drinks all have water in them so you are getting water every time you open your mouth. People have been sold the idea to drink way too much water. Why? Because somebody is making a profit on it. If I drank as much as many people advise, I'd be completely unproductive because I'd be in the ladies' room all day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I used to track and try to hit 8 or more glasses a day.

Gave up as I came to realize it was pointless. I'm hydrated, pee is a decent colour and I drink when thirsty.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It's half your weight in ounces, or some such arbitrary rule. Not half your actual weight.
    So, basically I should just ditch my water bottle & carry around a small aquarium to sip out of... :D

Yes! I like it. :smiley:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    So it works out to 1/32 of your weight in water, if you hold to that rule. Which I don't.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's half your weight in ounces, or some such arbitrary rule. Not half your actual weight.
    So, basically I should just ditch my water bottle & carry around a small aquarium to sip out of... :D

LOL i couldn't drink that much either! I was just trying to clarify what the OP meant by drinking half your weight in water, and was hoping she didn't think that everyone HAS to drink literally half their weight in water.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I weigh 150lbs and drink over 200 ounces of water on workout days. But I need to because I sweat way more than average when working out, do at least 3 hours ofg working out per day, use a dry sauna twice per day (deep sweating) and take Spironolactone & Metformin which unfortunately cause sweating AND dehydration. So 200 ounces is barely enough for me.

But if you're otherwise "normal", not taking meds or weird fat burners with caffeine and other dehydrating ingredients, using saunas, etc....a gallon should suffice if you're working out pretty hard.

But pee running nearly clear is your easier indicator. And peeing regularly, of course.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Yes. I carry a 64 oz Stainless bottle and usually need to refill 3 to 4 times before going home around 5pm. Then I sip only about 64oz total from early evening until the next morning. A huge bottle DOES make it easier, though.