What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just restrained myself on another thread. A food is not "yuck". It happens to be a food I like. Everybody else on the thread does too. Plus, what are you a toddler!

I don't like olives. If olives come up, I will either say nothing or if I can answer the olive-related question I will do so but remark that I do not care for olives.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ez5jblwje3e8.jpg

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Lately, "the fat burning zone".

I don't so much get annoyed at the people deceived by it as I am at the 'gurus' who ought to know better espousing it and at the ding-dong\s that came up with that terminology in the first place.

It wouldn't have taken a crystal ball to foresee how it would be misinterpreted. I am thankful that it's at least not encouraging anything harmful.

Isn't it funny how far we've come in understanding of what's true vs. what's just BS? Like, I'm thinking back to when I was a kid.. my mom was all about the low fat diet. Nothing else matters, because fat is what makes you fat. The list goes on. Not eating after a certain time, eating lots of small meals, can't eat certain foods, heavy lifting makes you bulkty (women), etc.

Makes me even more grateful I found MFP and learned what it really takes.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    "the fat burning zone".

I asked about this one on the fitness board because I totally didn't know what the heck they meant. I knew my Fitbit shows my activity as either out of zone, fat-burning, cardio, and peak. I figured that HAD to mean something with respect to my weight loss...I mean, why else show it? It even tags it with how many calories per minute you are burning at the various levels. I have a very low heart rate - resting is about 50 bpm and I have a hard time getting it higher. I don't know if it's my medication or what, but I can be sweating my behind off and out of breath and really, not able to work any harder, and it'll get to cardio or peak for a hot second and then back down. I have a lot of "out of zone" time.

I'm also really grateful to MFP. You don't know if you don't ask.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Things like "per say" and "walla" really set my teeth on edge, but that's not only generic, but also elitist of me, so I never mention it. ;) ("Walla" in constructs like "I started weighing food and - walla! - I finally started losing weight.)

So glad you clarified. I was worried that my first middle name was problematic somehow. :scream:

It's spelled Voila'

I know. Not sure why you quoted me.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    "the fat burning zone".

I asked about this one on the fitness board because I totally didn't know what the heck they meant. I knew my Fitbit shows my activity as either out of zone, fat-burning, cardio, and peak. I figured that HAD to mean something with respect to my weight loss...I mean, why else show it? It even tags it with how many calories per minute you are burning at the various levels. I have a very low heart rate - resting is about 50 bpm and I have a hard time getting it higher. I don't know if it's my medication or what, but I can be sweating my behind off and out of breath and really, not able to work any harder, and it'll get to cardio or peak for a hot second and then back down. I have a lot of "out of zone" time.

No judgement :smile: I wasn't singling anyone out or any particular piece of advice, it was more of an ah ha moment realizing how much information has changed in a relatively short amount of time. I will never criticize or judge someone for seeking out knowledge/information. Especially pertaining to healthy.

I also always thought you could spot reduce. It was some what of a sad day when I found research proving that false.

I'd be shocked if someone on here could say they never believed in one of the, now proven false, ideas about losing weight.

edit: format fix
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode"
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    "the fat burning zone".

People don't think that it might be a performance/training thing, because most aren't using a Fitbit or similar for that purpose. I think it would be nicer if they used the training heart rate zone descriptors instead: Recovery (Zone 1), Endurance (Zone 2), Stamina (Zone 3), Economy (Zone 4), Speed (Zone 5). Yes, still not the most clear and obvious, but at least it's linked to performance and not weight loss.

BTW - have you ever tested for your max HR? You may be someone for whom 220-age is really off on the high end (predicted max HR is too high) and the estimated zones are completely wrong for you.

I test the other way (and also have a low resting HR). For me, the estimated zones based on my age are way too low. If I used those, I'd be fluctuating between zones 2 and 3 strolling around the mall.

ETA: Futzing around with quote tags
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    People don't think that it might be a performance/training thing, because most aren't using a Fitbit or similar for that purpose. I think it would be nicer if they used the training heart rate zone descriptors instead: Recovery (Zone 1), Endurance (Zone 2), Stamina (Zone 3), Economy (Zone 4), Speed (Zone 5). Yes, still not the most clear and obvious, but at least it's linked to performance and not weight loss.

BTW - have you ever tested for your max HR? You may be someone for whom 220-age is really off on the high end (predicted max HR is too high) and the estimated zones are completely wrong for you.

I test the other way (and also have a low resting HR). For me, the estimated zones based on my age are way too low. If I used those, I'd be fluctuating between zones 2 and 3 strolling around the mall.

I have a heart arrhythmia - I skip beats - and am on 3 - that's right - 3 blood pressure meds. The arrhythmia isn't noticeable to me, but it gives nurses quite a start when they try to take my pulse. I never tell them in advance, just to watch their faces. :smiley: It's not dangerous. I had a stress test a few years ago and the cardiologist was please to see it actually goes away with exercise - it's the ones that get worse that you have to watch. But sometimes it takes some serious effort to raise it.

Basically, I think it makes the HR monitor a bit useless.

I've never had it tested...but it kind of freaks me out to think of raising it to the max...so I'm not sure I'd ever want to. At least not until I'm more fit than I am now.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    - Loose/lose, it just annoys the heck out of me.
    - What the heck is up with the "fat burn zone"? I just don't understand it.
    - When people say "I'm only on 1,200 calories a day but I'm not losing any weight. Oh and I don't use scales I just eyeball my portions but I know my tracking is perfect." Ummmm... doooooubtful.
    - Or "I've hit a plateau! The scale hasn't moved for 3 days! Should I eat more??"
    - OR "Oh my god i ate 100 calories over my goal last night and I gained 5 pounds! By the way it's my TOM. Oh and I ate a ton of carbs and soy sauce yesterday. Oh and I worked out and my muscles or sore. Oh, and I haven't pooped in 3 days..." Oh my god, dude, it's freakin water weight and waste just chiiiiiiiill.
    - Omg and if I see one more thread asking if cheat days are ok. Do a freakin search! Soooo many people have given really thoughtful responses to that question time and time again.

I try to just mind my own business but when the first two pages are like, 6 threads with the SAME questions that the most cursory of searches would answer... Aaaaarg!

Simply put, it's being in the aerobic zone where the body burns more fat than glycogen, which is an important zone for training for endurance athletes. Any women's magazine talk beyond that is balderdash.

Sorry I totally meant my comment to be about the women's mag style use of the word. "Are you wasting your workout by not being in the fat burn zone? Don't let all your hard work go to waste!" Etc etc.
    Just no.
    Work out, burn calories + eating proper amount of calories for your weight loss goal -> CICO -> oh look you're losing weight now.

On the other hand yes, professional athletes benefit much more from knowledge of their different heart rate zones when working out.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My personal #1 is "How do I find motivation?" or anything along those lines...

Ugh this.

I don't understand what people want. No one can give you motivation, you have to find it for yourself.

Motivation is overrated anyway. It's good to get you started, but can fade quickly. Commitment and consistency even when you don't feel like it is where success lives.

Exactly! Dedication, not motivation!