Goal Reached! 135 lbs down--please be encouraged if you have 100+ to lose!

Options

Replies

• Lizbethweat31
    Lizbethweat31 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is truly inspiring for us just starting a journey. I felt alone before joining MFP. would live to see how ppl lose the weight. When u first start out you feel completely clueless. You wonder am doing this right even have kids it with me. guess everyone different there no manual but stories like these make me wanna change better
  • pdmccone
    pdmccone Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss, you look great!
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Fantastic transformation... You look so healthy and happy! What does your normal day look like, I am always so curious to hear how people are successful at their weight loss. I am down 65lbs and still have 30lbs to go and I know that it seems to be getting harder the closer I am getting to goal.... Such a great inspiration you are!!!
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you but when I looked at the BMI chart I thought 165 was no longer technically overweight. Like you, my wrist measurements (plus very long arms and broad shoulders) classify me as large frame. What amazes me about your loss (and I'm talking the skin issue here!) is that I don't see ANY on your upper arms. That's my problem area - and sure makes summer and dress-up clothes difficult to find. Did you do anything special for that, or was it just hauling the animals around as I saw in one of your photos?! :)
  • ldtamika31
    ldtamika31 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Awesome job
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing! I'm 5 months into my journey, started over 300lbs, ive lost 39lbs since Jan 10th, not giving up, I will get there eventually :)
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jwcanfield wrote: »
    I'm the same height as you but when I looked at the BMI chart I thought 165 was no longer technically overweight. Like you, my wrist measurements (plus very long arms and broad shoulders) classify me as large frame. What amazes me about your loss (and I'm talking the skin issue here!) is that I don't see ANY on your upper arms. That's my problem area - and sure makes summer and dress-up clothes difficult to find. Did you do anything special for that, or was it just hauling the animals around as I saw in one of your photos?! :)

The standard BMI calculator puts the max normal weight for 5'8" at 164 (range=122-164). If you use the newer Smart BMI Calculator, it is considerably more generous and the max number for normal is in the 170s.

I do have some loose skin on my arms, but it isn't bad. There is absolutely no subcutaneous fat on my arms (unlike tummy and thighs) so the loose skin is really thin. The answer for me was resistance training (weight lifting). Do you do that at all?

And btw, I don't make a habit of hauling around my sheep (most of them are over 200 lbs)! But this was a special photo op because of a grand champion win. :smiley:
  • JulieSHelms
    Options
    ... I'm 5 months into my journey, started over 300lbs, ive lost 39lbs since Jan 10th, not giving up, I will get there eventually :)

That is fantastic and you are moving at a great pace! One piece of advice I have that worked for me, is to make mini-goals. The overall big number can just be discouraging some days. I used ten pound goals, which came with rewards. And I treasured them each time I earned them. And unlike the final goal, they were never too far away to imagine.

• JulieSHelms
    Options
    That is truly inspiring for us just starting a journey. I felt alone before joining MFP. would live to see how ppl lose the weight. When u first start out you feel completely clueless. You wonder am doing this right even have kids it with me. guess everyone different there no manual but stories like these make me wanna change better

I totally agree with you. When I got here to MFP, I asked a lot of questions. And people very generously answered! For me my questions weren't so much about diet, but the exercise part. I had never exercised regularly, never even been in a gym before. I was literally terrified of going to a place with buff body builders who I thought would take one look at my older, fatter, female body and laugh. But I was determined to do this, so after I joined the local gym (on the day of my 50th birthday!) I came to the people here on the forums for advice on how to proceed. Then I took those recommendations and talked with the trainer at the gym, and we came up with a plan for me to follow. So the people here made me feel not so ignorant when I went to talk to him that first time. Now the employees joke with me that I should be their poster child for a successful client! And those buff body builders? They turned out to be all fine people. :smile:
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You look great!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing!
  • lexiehtown
    lexiehtown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Go you!!
  • hperkins17
    hperkins17 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is so encouraging! A year ago I was diagnosed with PCOS at 27, which explained why it took 2 months to lose 10 lbs but 4 days to gain it all back! I'm just restarting my weight loss journey to lose 100 lbs! I'm starting small though with 5 lbs, and I'm carb counting instead of calorie counting and seeing how it goes!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You look so beautiful! Great job! Pcos is a bear.
  • mtcampbell1
    mtcampbell1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your sharing your story. It's very brave of you to do that.
  • JulieSHelms
    Options
    Pcos is a bear.

I think in the final analysis, PCOS makes gaining weight very easy, but I don't think losing is that much different than anyone else's effort. It's really just calories in calories out. I imagine gaining it back would be really easy, too--but I hope to never give up the fight on that.

• cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You have such a radiating smile! WTG on the weight loss!
  • oysuzanna
    oysuzanna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You've really made my day. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you so much for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!