Totally sabotaging myself everyday

2»

Replies

• priyamvada_k
    priyamvada_k Posts: 27 Member
    I have a sweet tooth too. What works for me is planning for one treat a day, and then choosing it consciously. This makes me say no to some treats (office or elsewhere) and yes to the one I really like. Say 200 extra calories. Budget that into the day. What works for me is logging all my meals beforehand and then if I have a treat, add a walk - or a swim - and then get rid of the junk calories that way. And I say no to the second offered treat.

For me eating sweet fruit helps - mango, a bunch of grapes or pineapple. Can make this even better by adding a protein to it: mango + plain Greek yogurt; grapes + cheese; pineapple + cottage cheese. So this is my second (non junk) sweet treat. This way I don't feel deprived and I get to indulge in moderation.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    It's been said enough, but it's worth saying again.

If breakfast is where you struggle the most, plan it out in advance. Have snack bars, single serve nut pouches, etc. At your desk.. at your home. in your car if necessary. It's Friday, Take the weekend to plan/strategize breakfast for next week. If you must.... Pre log it all.

If convenience is the battle then make it more convenient to eat what you've planned than to sabotage.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I plan my entire food day in advance. Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, dessert. I log it all into MFP before I eat breakfast. I pack my breakfast, lunch and snack and take them to work every day.

If someone brings in doughnuts (like they did this morning), I can look at my already completed food diary and decide if I want to make that treat fit in my day or not. Sometimes I do (like today), and sometimes I don't.
  • kdavid1987
    kdavid1987 Posts: 107 Member
    They do pizza and all kinds of stuff at work as appreciation for our hard work. But, I already have lunch made. I also make enough breakfast (oats that I mix with peanut butter and chocolate I cut into bars for ease) for my work week. I don't have to stress about being short on time because I set myself up for success with some easy meal prep the day before my work week.

Losing weight is about having enough respect for yourself that you want to make a change. That means approaching it with a clear head and not berating yourself when you slip. Life is full of free food in the break room and dinners out with friends. There are gonna be times when you can't weigh everything out. Log, enjoy, and look at the next day as an opportunity to go again.

Can't agree with this more! WELL SAID! I pack my lunch including 1-2 low calorie healthy snacks for my work day. By reminding myself only to eat what I brought, and checking my daily calorie count on MFP before making a decision about what to eat, I have been able to avoid the temptations (so far) that are also in my office on basically a daily basis, lol. I love my coworkers but honestly I remind myself that most of them are overweight and some are morbidly obese, and if I follow their lead and participate in their disordered eating, I will never achieve my fitness goals.

That said, as many others have pointed out, you really need to adjust your mindset. I eat several treat items a week, genuine junk food like beer, wine, pizza, ice cream, all the good stuff. The thing is that I plan for them and adjust my exercise and other caloric intake so they don't destroy the success I made otherwise. You have to ask yourself what you are willing to do LONG TERM to lose the weight and to keep it off. For me, I know I cannot forsake pizza and beer the rest of my life. But can I forsake it during the work week? Can I forsake having a 2nd or 3rd helping? Sure I can, as long as I remind myself of why I am doing it.

For me, getting my mind where it needs to be to lose and keep weight off long term has been the best weight loss strategy I have implemented. When you have motivation, determination, and consistency, you can do it. You will still have hard times, but at least for me, the hard times are getting fewer and fewer. Mind over matter. Mind over unhelpful office junk food!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You have to come up with tactics that fit your life. If you know that you aren't the type of person who wakes up to make breakfast, then begin making it the night before (Pinterest has tons of make-ahead breakfast ideas) or pull up the Dunkin Donuts nutritional information online and find choices that will fit into your calorie goals (I see they have at least one sandwich that is 330 calories, something that will fit into just about any calorie goal for breakfast). Stop using "I have to stop at Dunkin Donuts" as an excuse to blow your calorie goal for the day.

My weight loss plans always failed when I tried to use them to become a different type of person. Maybe you will never be the type of person who wakes up early to make breakfast. That's okay. You can still lose weight. Figure out what weigh loss looks like for the person you actually are, not the person you wish you were.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    edited June 2017
    The people I work with like to eat, and I mean really like to munch away. I've had to resist, Reese peanut butter cups, cake, homemade cinnamon rolls and biscuits all brought in on separate days this week. So I get it temptation was there all week and I've resisted every single one as I really want to just lose those last few pounds that have eluded me through temptations at work and at home that I have indulged in over the last 6 months or so. Start with telling yourself no just the once and it will be easier the next time, carry on. Right now I'm being strict with myself later I may see if I can fit something in but that is the key, check if you can fit it in your day first before you put it in your mouth. Easiest way to do that as others suggested is to pre-log your day.
    Try again tomorrow you will get it eventually.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    kdavid1987 wrote: »
    For me, getting my mind where it needs to be to lose and keep weight off long term has been the best weight loss strategy I have implemented.

Quoted for truth.

I spent the first two weeks of my new regime analysing my attitude to food and hunger and pretty much rewriting them. It was hard, and I still have to pick myself up on moments where I backslide. But without that, I would have got nowhere.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    I had a donut with breakfast. Take a look at last Sat for me. It's not great but it's getting me there. Down 35lbs and still have a lot to go but I'm doing it. It's not all or nothing which was the hardest thing for me to get. atneddczwwn5.png
    phya4lte1zl6.png
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    edited June 2017
    just fit the cake // dunkin donut into your calories. have a healthy lunch and dinner
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    There are a few days in the past 18 months that ate a half dozen donuts, but I've still lost 75 pounds -- mostly because it was a few days.

On the other 500+ days, I planned,packed and logged all my meals the evening before.

A few specific suggestions for 1 minute breakfasts include overnight oats (I add riced cauliflower for bulk) or a Special K breakfast sandwich. I de-thaw them overnight in the freezer, 60 seconds in microwave. Add a protein shake to either and it's a good, filling meal.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Does it have to be Dunkin Donuts? Or does it just have to be fast food? An Egg McMuffin is not a bad breakfast choice - 290 calories and has protein from the egg and ham (or bacon). I don't know the Dunkin Donuts menu, but they may have an equivalent.

I'm not saying that should be Plan A. Plan A is to have a healthy breakfast at home. But sometimes the key to success is having a good Plan B (and even Plan C) in place.

This evening, our plan was to pick up the kids from daycare and go to a restaurant where I had already pre-logged a dinner than fit perfectly into my calories. Just as we were getting ready to pick up the kids, daycare called and said our older son had vomited several times. So, Plan A was out the window. We didn't have ingredients on hand for dinner at home (Saturday is grocery day), so there went Plan B. Plan C was the drive through. I wound up with a lettuce-wrapped mama burger from A&W. Plan C for the win!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    I think, yup today is the day, I am going to eat great. Then I end up with Dunkins for breakfast because I am running late, I cannot resist the chocolate cake because someone left where I work. I do it to myself and then I beat myself up over it. I so need to crack the heck down and just do it. I am starting to feel horrible, dizzy all the time. I just don't understand why I do the things I do. Anyway it was just a vent, sometimes it makes me feel better just to vent even if people are not right in front of me. Thank you.
    If you want honesty, make sure that you're honest with yourself. The reality is is that you're NOT THAT COMMITTED to doing it. You have a habitual behavior that you need to change and unless you flat out commit to doing it, you'll keep failing. Here's something I give to clients to help them really figure out if their ready. If you're not WILLING to do almost all of these, you're not ready to lose weight.

*Note* this is for people who have difficulty trying commit to a plan.

1. Write it down and keep records (daily if possible)
    Goal
    Milestones
    Daily schedule
    Month to month schedule
    Research to go to if you need help

2. Be specific in your planning
    Know how you're going to achieve your goal
    Set achievable way to do it
    Implement plan consistently

3. Set measurable milestones
    It may be weight loss per week (though it's not linear), it may be how much weight you can lift,
    how far you want to run by then, what your clothing size is, etc. Don't get overzealous though.

4. Schedule how your day goes
    If exercise is going to be part of it, MAKE A SPECIFIC TIME for it. Same with sleep, work, and
    time with family or hobbies.

5. Put timelines on everything.
    Don't lollygag on something like watching TV too long. It's easy to get lazy if one spends too much
    time on not doing something conducive towards their goal.

6. Celebrate your successes
    Small ones matter and help create confidence on other harder goals.

7. Know that there will be obstacles and deterrences and have a back up plan
    Things aren't always in your control, so have options available in case this does happen. My kid
    hasn't stayed home sick for a long time (almost 5 years now), but I do have a plan set aside if she
    does. Same with party invitationals and eating out.

8. Don't stop till you make it!
    If you follow your plan consistently, you should reach your goal. Even if you don't meet it at the
    proposed timeline, DON'T STOP till you do!

Hope this helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Some more quick tricks, a slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter and honey (I love Daves Killer Bread myself). Calories yes, but filling and more satisfying than donuts. Hard boiled eggs(pre cooked and peeled and saved in Tupperware in fridge) and a fruit. Smoothies, I premeasure and baggie fruits, veggies,frozen cubes of yogurt, and whatever else, and shove a bunch in freezer. In the morning just dump in a blender with water and you are good to go.I also like to keep a chocolate nut Kind bar in my purse for midmorning or mid afternoon munchies.
    As far as work treats, I assume it's not every day. So no real worries. But if you do have a scale (if you don't, get one) you can get a small cake goodie and weigh it, so you can have have a good visual of how much cake a single serving is. Then you will know where your work goodies can fit into your calorie budget by looking up individual flavors privately. No, it won't be exact, but life seldom is.