Where Does All the Misinformation Come From?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    IFIC_Infographic_v6_0.png

This fits perfect with the resveratrol in wine bit.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I blame Google. Seriously, how many posts do we see that give some really bad information followed by "just Google it, you'll see it's true"?

... but then again, how hard is it to google "nutrition macros" as opposed to logging into MFP, asking here and waiting 2 hours for an answer? People will google the strangest *kitten* but won't use the same tool to learn about the most basic concepts.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is the media blowing things out of proportion. A single study suggests something and they report it as fact. Several studies show most people should eat less of <whatever> and they report it as <whatever> is unhealthy with no mention of amount. And people are lazy. They read the headline, maybe even skim the article but make no effort to find out what the actual study said or if it's been confirmed by f/u studies.

Many people believe everything they read regardless of whether the source is credible.

And, then they spread that 'information' saying things like, "I read somewhere that . . . "
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. There were a lot of interesting answers.

My first thought was money, honestly, but I do think there's a lot of people that just hear or read something and spread it without intending to do any harm.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    No, no, no no no, nonononononono, nooooooooooo !!
    There is no such thing as weight by volume.

? Am I missing something? There is such thing as weight per unit volume: it's called density.

Yes, they weren't clear. The objection is that weight-relative terms are used when it's density that's really being compared.

The counter-argument is that 'everybody knows' that when you say X is heavier than Y that you mean equal volumes of X and Y.

Now personally, I'd be ripped a new one if I use heavier and lighter in that way but I came up through a biochemistry and physics track and am still in a branch of science where assumptions and inaccurate terminology are frowned upon.

So would I. But then, I also understand the difference between a casual expression where, in context, the meaning is clear, and technical contexts where absolute clarity is important. I don't know why this should be so difficult for some people, except perhaps they enjoy the opportunity for needless pedantry.

What really kills me is when somebody complains that 1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat...

...and then goes on to claim that an acceptable alternative expression is "muscle takes up less space than fat"!

Because, apparently, it goes without saying that all comparisons involve equal masses of substance. :tongue:

Sorry, but if you're going to be so pedantic as to require that people clarify that 1 pint of muscle weighs more than 1 pint of fat, you'd darn well better be equally pedantic in requiring that people clarify that 1 pound of fat occupies more volume than 1 pound of muscle. Can't have it both ways!

The acceptable alternative for pedantic people is "muscle is denser than fat".
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    It comes from people selling things. But, it also comes from people wanting magic to be true. It's a hard pill to swallow to say, "you eat too much. So, stop doing that." It's much easier to sell a system that makes it complicated, but if you follow it, it works. A good example is Weight Watchers.

I get a good laugh from weight watchers. I am glad that it works for some people but i just do NOT understand why you would put all that effort into learning a points system instead of just learning the calories.

It's because people honestly don't know. And, they want losing weight to be difficult. The truth is harsh to many people.

They want it to be difficult in the ways it is easy and easy in the parts that are hard (self control.).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Intellectual laziness. How does the premier democracy in the world end up voting in a populist leader who has a barely tenuous hold on the truth?

All information good and bad is equally available these days. The discerning reader must learn to vet sources.

Read Darwin Awards and Snopes.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Someone mentioned the 60's. Can i just say, atleast back then when companies were trying to sell you something they still provided you (somewhat) reasonable information. :lol:
    enhanced-buzz-5086-1384973488-33.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto
    Well, not all vintage info is good. I have a 1940's cookbook that has similar menus but recommends to use mineral oil in place of the oil in dressings and mayonnaise.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    human nature. almost everyone would prefer to hear: eat everything you want in this particular food category instead of eat less.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Muscle does weigh more than fat so that one isn't misinformation.

A pound weighs a pound. But by volume, muscle weighs more than fat. Rarely does anyone specify volume in the "muscle weighs more than fat" truism because we figure your smart enough to figure out the obvious.

I'm quite certain the idea of starvation mode comes from people's experience. They cut calories drastically and exercise intensely and they get stuck at the same weight for months at a time. Or they diet and lose weight, then when they try to add back even a tiny bit more calories than their calories, they gain huge amounts of weight very quickly.

No, no, no no no, nonononononono, nooooooooooo !!
    There is no such thing as weight by volume.
    These are two totally different measurements.
    Weight is a measure of how heavy something is.
    Volume is a measure of how much space something takes up.
    They are not the same thing.
    They are not interchangeable.
    A kilo of fat weighs the same as a kilo of muscle and a kilo of feathers, but each of them takes up a different amount of physical space.

However, it's stuff like this where people confidently put forward ideas that are factually incorrect which leads to widespread nonsense getting believed by so many others.
    People cling to notions they like the sound of, regardless of truth.
    But facts remain true whether you like them or not, that's just the way it is!
    If you understand how to "weigh" things, you weigh materials of SAME VOLUME to determine it's WEIGHT DENSITY. That's how science works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

No, actually you typically don't - there's no need to make sure two materials are the same volume before weighing and it often adds an extra time-consuming step. Imagine trying to excise a precise cubic centimeter (or inch, or whatever) of material from a larger block, especially if the block is irregular in shape. It's not always a simple thing to do.

You weigh a piece of material, you measure it's volume (in any order you choose) and from those you calculate its density.
    Well yeah, you can do it that way too. :D I was addressing when weighing 2 materials against each other because of the initial response. (kilo of fat versus kilo of muscle)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    When I did WW for the first time, it was the 80s and they were doing 'exchanges'. So a protein exchange was 1 oz of chicken or 2 oz of fish or 1 egg, etc. You were given so many proteins, carbs, milk, fruits, veggies, and fat as well as some 'extra' calories for stuff that didn't fit so neatly. (Example: a dessert might be 2 carbs, 2 fats and 75 calories.)
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Misinformation comes from lack of critical thinking from those who hear something and parrot the misinformation as undisputed fact. This applies to so many things in life, not just nutrition.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    From that infographic, I would be wondering why the journal's peer-review group didn't do a better job of vetting the submission.

@rainbowbow I love how the menu very carefully specifies that the lettuce leaves MUST be "small." Because if you put four LARGE lettuce leaves in that dinner salad, you'll just keep gaining weight. XD

Dem lettucegainz, bro!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I blame Google. Seriously, how many posts do we see that give some really bad information followed by "just Google it, you'll see it's true"?

If it wasn't for Google I'd still be fat.
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    new_arc87 wrote: »
    Misinformation comes from lack of critical thinking from those who hear something and parrot the misinformation as undisputed fact. This applies to so many things in life, not just nutrition.

Yes, whatever that guy said there.