Dairy???

Options
xvhailey
xvhailey Posts: 15 Member
Half the information I get on dairy says its healthy to make part of your diet the other half says cut dairy out. Thoughts?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Dairy can have a lot of fat, which can make it hard to stay within your calories and macros, so choose wisely based on your nutritional goals.
  • purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If your body tolerates it and it fits within your calorie goals, go for it. As I've gotten older, my body has decided to not tolerate it, and I miss it horribly.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There is current debate about dairy fats. So far, it seems like the saturated fats from dairy products are midway between saturated fats from red meat (worst) and saturated fats from plants (best). In any event, current scientific findings indicate we should limit but not wholly eliminate
    consumption of saturated fats in our overall diet.

That being said, dairy products are neither angel nor devil. Include them or not in your diet depending on your calorie & macro numbers, your own ability to digest them, and your own druthers.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    xvhailey wrote: »
    Half the information I get on dairy says its healthy to make part of your diet the other half says cut dairy out. Thoughts?

My body feels good when i have cheeses and yogurts, but milk and cream destroys my system. It depends on the person though.
  • jzynanja
    jzynanja Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've always been a milk /dairy person - love the stuff, but I've gradually weaned myself from dairy and over to almond milk (if I need any milk at all) which I use sparingly. Dairy bloats me - some people can tolerate it, and I wish I could but I can't. I was stuck with my weight for a couple of weeks and I couldn't figure out what the deal was, then I stopped eating the yogurt I was eating every morning - quite by accident - and the weight started falling off again. I'm not lactose intolerant or anything like that, but I have found that when I have dairy it affects my sinuses, my eyes run and I bloat. So, some "food" for thought - haha. I agree with @HeidiCooksSupper just see how you do with dairy if you like it and your own ability to digest them properly.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Not a milk drinker but I eat yogurt and cheese. :star:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In the context of a balanced and varied diet, it's fine...
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Not a milk drinker but I eat yogurt and cheese. :star:

Amen!
  • xvhailey
    Options
    If your body tolerates it and it fits within your calorie goals, go for it. As I've gotten older, my body has decided to not tolerate it, and I miss it horribly.

So would we say this is more of a personal preference, like say a lactose intolerant person would have more of a reason to sway away from dairy? But all the talked about benefits are good for someone trying to eat healthy and become fit? I stay on a high protein low(ish) carb diet, so would you think I would benefit well from choosing dairy like yogurt for breakfast, or switch to something non dairy but still provides proteins?
  • xvhailey
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Dairy can have a lot of fat, which can make it hard to stay within your calories and macros, so choose wisely based on your nutritional goals.

Most of my dairy intake is yogurt, almond milk, and eggs. I stay away from cheese and butters.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and skim milk are a staple of my daily diet. And I would probably die if I couldn't enjoy some cheese and a pint of Halo Top ice cream every so often. I've heard dairy is "terrible" but when eaten in moderation, like most things, I find it hard to believe that it's detrimental to any diet
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

So would we say this is more of a personal preference, like say a lactose intolerant person would have more of a reason to sway away from dairy? But all the talked about benefits are good for someone trying to eat healthy and become fit? I stay on a high protein low(ish) carb diet, so would you think I would benefit well from choosing dairy like yogurt for breakfast, or switch to something non dairy but still provides proteins?

Try it out and see how you feel. Most of my dairy is lower fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, whey protein, some milk. But I also have cheese, butter and cream in moderation. I consider myself pretty healthy and fit.
  • purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I'd say it's a matter of experimentation and preference. Find what works best for you. I can't eat dairy products at all, as it causes severe digestive problems. If I could, I'd still work it into my macros.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options

Yes, I would think a truly lactose intolerant person would want to avoid dairy, just as a person with celiac would want to avoid gluten, and someone with nut allergies would avoid nuts. Why would someone eat something that makes them feel bad or sick?

Beyond that, it's preference: Everyone else can eat any of those things, if they find them tasty, nutritious, and satiating, as long as they don't eat so much of them that it either drives out other needed nutrition, or puts them over their calorie goal.
  • NateandDannysmom
    NateandDannysmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you're not lactose intolerant then why would you cut dairy out? Just watch your portions and keep the milk fat percentage to 0 or as low as you can.