Dairy???

Options

Replies

• kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It makes zero sense to consume another animals milk, and animal milk based products. The reason that so many people are "lactose intolerant" is because we're not supposed to be eating that stuff. The only beneficial part of dairy is the high protein content and you can get that from meat, nuts, beans, seeds and even leafy greens.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Enjoy unless you are allergic or don't like the taste.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I like all the dairy products! This morning I had kefir and yogurt, this evening I'll have cheese. Life is good.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Aphids are milked by ants. The aphids are herded to a food source and tended to and protected by the ants.

Hindus revere their cattle, are vegetarian, but will also consume a wide variety of dairy products.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    If you're not lactose intolerant then why would you cut dairy out? Just watch your portions and keep the milk fat percentage to 0 or as low as you can.

I also don't think it's necessary to eliminate dairy unless lactose intolerant, but nothing wrong with dairy fat (good quality butter is awesome!)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love dairy! It is the one food group i could/would not give up!
  • xvhailey
    xvhailey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    xvhailey wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Dairy can have a lot of fat, which can make it hard to stay within your calories and macros, so choose wisely based on your nutritional goals.

Most of my dairy intake is yogurt, almond milk, and eggs. I stay away from cheese and butters.

Just FYI, almond milk and eggs aren't dairy. Almond milk is basically a carb (nut juice) and eggs are a protein that is often sold in the dairy case but actually has nothing to do with dairy.

Wow I never thought twice about it, I just knew that I get it from the dairy section in every store. Eggs come from a non-milk producing animal, how could I miss that lol.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I love all dairy products. Big part of my everyday diet. If you like it, make it work in your calories, and don't have an allergy, then go for it. If you don't like them, don't consume them.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nonfat milk, nonfat yogurt, and nonfat cottage cheese are a regular part of my menu. I also use other kinds of cheese in small amounts for flavoring. They taste good to me and are a pretty good source of protein. So overall I'd say they're helpful for me.

Obviously if you're allergic to dairy or can't tolerate it, don't eat or drink it. I think people who are opposed to anyone drinking milk basically feel that way for philosophical or moral reasons, and that often influences the food they recommend.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    kissa714 wrote: »
    It makes zero sense to consume another animals milk, and animal milk based products. The reason that so many people are "lactose intolerant" is because we're not supposed to be eating that stuff. The only beneficial part of dairy is the high protein content and you can get that from meat, nuts, beans, seeds and even leafy greens.

Are we not supposed to eat nuts? Cuz I know a whole lot more people with nut allergies than I do with lactose intolerance.

People who are lactose intolerant are the exception...not the other way around

According to the NIH,
    Approximately 65 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy.
    https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance#statistics

Not that I think that's any reason for those with the genetic good fortune to continue producing lactase as adults not to eat it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Are we not supposed to eat nuts? Cuz I know a whole lot more people with nut allergies than I do with lactose intolerance.

According to the NIH,
    Approximately 65 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy.

Not that I think that's any reason for those with the genetic good fortune to continue producing lactase as adults not to eat it.

Most of whom are living in Asia and Africa. Europe, North America and Australia (Which I'd assume make up most of MFP), has up to 90% and more who are not intolerant.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

According to the NIH,

Most of whom are living in Asia and Africa. Europe, North America and Australia (Which I'd assume make up most of MFP), has up to 90% and more who are not intolerant.

No kidding. It says right on the linked page "The prevalence of lactose intolerance is lowest in populations with a long history of dependence on unfermented milk products as an important food source. For example, only about 5 percent of people of Northern European descent are lactose intolerant."
  • Stingray101
    Stingray101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nonfat milk is an efficient way to meet calcium requirements and a nice amount of protein and potassium. I don't want to give it up!