Itchy skin when losing weight??

Options

Replies

• FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Aveeno works wonders for me! I have very dry skin and nothing but this works. Even the generic-like brands at wal-mart or walgreens This is their site http://www.aveeno.com/skincare/products/itch-reliefs.
    Hope this helps :)

^^ This!!! Aveeno is what I used and it does work. Also... I increased my water intake.
  • JorisSt
    Options
    Use Detox products, they can purify your body and that should help.

Joris s.
    weightloss-tips.eu
  • teegriff1
    Options
    If you've lost weight and are annoyed by itchy skin, you are not alone. If your weight loss was intentional, the solution may be as simple as adjusting your nutrient intake. If your weight loss was not, the combination could indicate a health condition. Always consult a health care provider for proper diagnosis if you have itchy skin that accompanies weight loss.

You Might Also Like I Need Help for My Skin Itching at Night Scabies & Weight Loss Causes of Whole Body Itching Exercises for Tightening Underarm Skin Causes of Itching on the Face and Neck Why Can't I Lose Weight if I Work Out an Hour a Day & Limit My Calories? Medical Conditions That Cause Itchy Skin Types
    If you are following a weight-loss plan, make sure you are getting enough iron. Iron deficiency can cause a mild, generalized itching. In this condition, your body doesn't have enough healthy red blood cells, which bring oxygen to your body's tissues. Iron supplements may help, but some people don't tolerate these well. You need to check with a doctor before trying one, advises Medline Plus. Foods that contain iron include meats, whole-grain bread, raisins, eggs, legumes and fish. A vitamin B2 deficiency also can cause itchy skin. Vitamin B2 also is called riboflavin. It's found in eggs, dark green veggies and whole and enriched grain products, according to "100 Questions and Answers About Sports Nutrition and Exercise," by Lilah Al-Masri and Simon Bartlett.

Sponsored Links

Causes Of Itching Scalp
    Fight Flakes At The Source With Our Dual-Action, Fortified Haircare.

GarnierUSA.com/Fructis/AntiDandruff
    Effects
    Restricting your food intake too much can lead to malnutrition. This, in turn, can cause dysfunction in your skin's natural immunity or xerosis, both of which lead to itching, according to "Medical Management of Eating Disorders," by C. Laird Birmingham and Janet Treasure. Xerosis is simply dry skin. It is a common problem even among non-dieters, especially in winter, according to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology.

Warning
    If your skin itches and you've lost weight unintentionally you need to contact a doctor. A host of diseases can cause this combination, including celiac disease, liver disease, kidney problems, cancers and thyroid problems. In such cases, the itching is likely to affect your whole body instead of one specific area. Your skin may look normal, according to CNN.com. You may have other symptoms, however, like chills, a fever, sweating, changes in hair growth or changes in your mental status, advise the experts at the Cleveland Clinic. It's important to see a doctor to get an accurate diagnosis.

Considerations
    Your itchy skin may not be related to weight loss at all. It could be due to a skin condition, an allergic reaction or medicines that you are taking, according to CNN.com. Changing the soap or laundry detergent you use, altering your diet to get rid of foods causing reactions or consulting your doctor and changing your medication may resolve the issue. The weather, your bathing habits, air conditioning and central heating and low humidity levels also can cause itching.

Treatment
    If you have itchy skin related to weight loss and nutritional deficiency, correcting the deficiency may not bring immediate relief, note Birmingham and Treasure. You may need to rehydrate your skin with an ointment or cream or use a low-dose antihistamine under a doctor's guidance. In general, you address itching by taking lukewarm baths, using moisturizer, sleeping in loose and light bed clothes and using cold compresses, according to Medline Plus.

Sponsored Links
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I never got itchy skin, but a few times my nipples had this burning sensation while jogging. And my skin was very sensitive in random area's. No idea what that was all about but its not something i experience often. Weird.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I second the aveno lotion.

I also like this stuff a lot. Works great for hair removal itchy too. Lol.
    http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Benadryl-Spray-Extra-Strength?skuId=696179
  • murphywilliams31
    Options
    i've recently lost 40lbs and i've been itching horribly right under my belly fat. at first i thought it was the high dose of potassium i've been taking but now i see it wasn't. my second thought was that this is an area of skin that is now exposed after being covered by a roll of fat for so many years.

my problem isn't caused by lack of dietary fat (keto) or water.

anyway, back on the potassium and thanks everyone for your suggestions.
  • sabrinalee8
    sabrinalee8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OMG I am having the exact same issues. I can't stop scratching my arms, legs, stomach or breasts! :(

I originally thought it was prickly heat but the rashes have gone and i'm left with severe itchies. I'm a scratcher too, so am ripping myself to bits! =(

I tried ice packs, calomine lotion and cocoa butter moisturiser but nothing has worked. I have been told to try Diprobase eczema cream, but it's hard to find.
  • CastorTroy2009
    Options
    I have found the only thing that actually works is first cut out eating sugars of all kinds sadly enough it's very difficult. This involves all types of sugars including real sugar, all fructoses of all kinds, and all dextroses of all kind. Anything with a "trose" will cause it to flair up and itch. Once you dial out of it for 7 days straight you'll notice minimal itching and moderate resolution.

However if you can't or don't dial out of all sugars there is one thing that combats sugars. Since sugar is a strong force in the body, it's not good for any living organism in any way shape or form.

If you take Sodium Chloride tablets it will completely resolve the issue but not permanently until you dial out of the intake of sugars. The more sodium chloride you consume, the healthier you will become as long as your water intake is very high. Sodium Chloride is a required mineral for mammals and is extremely important. It thins and cleanses all tissues of the body and is a natural antibiotic. You can safely consume as much as 4 1000mg (1gm) tablets a day without going to an extreme on the water intake. Although it seems the more sodium chloride in the body resolves to a healthier you. It also resolves fluid retention completely.

If you can make it yourself a sodium chloride cream is highly effective. I have yet to try it but potentially mixing Sodium Chloride powder with something like Aloe Vera to effected area will help tremendously. Another thing to apply to the effected area is 91% isopropyl alcohol and that dries the inflammed skin and completely resolves the itch temporarily. Itching is typically blood vessel related and isoproply alcohol actually seeps into the skin very deep to the core of the problem. However it's not the true ideal way to do it but it will kill that itch. It burns when applying but after the burning stops it goes to work and you can feel the itch residing.

A few more things that will help is oral consumption of Activated Charcoal as it leaches impurities from the blood and body as a whole and captures these impurities to be carried out as waste in urine or sweat glands. So that gets into the sweating and urinating part, the more you sweat and urinate the less you will itch. Especially spending time in a sauna will help tremendously. Doing that for for few hours daily will resolve itching in itself.

One more thing that will help and actually work tremendously is the application of Sulfur cream applied to the area. On top of sulfur you can pick up 20% food grade hydrogen peroxide. Apply it directly as it'll burn but it'll decimate the tissue at fault and resolve the itch with a bit of whitening of that said skin. You can use an eye dropper and apply it drop by drop and rub it into the skin. You could also make a cream out of it or make a Mega Itch cream out of all said substances which are all very safe. The use of Activated charcoal powder, sodium chloride powder, sulfur powder, a bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol, a bit of 20% hydrogen peroxide small dosage find what works for you, and finally mix it into a paste/ cream of aloe vera or other cream not containing oils but natural substances.

Good Luck!!!
  • bostonboxermom
    bostonboxermom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. I remember I had a few days where my love handles itched and hurt. I thought it was so weird. After it went away (a few days), I noticed that my love handles had shrunk by quite a bit!! (They are now gone, WOOO!!).. I didn't do anything about the itchies, just dealt with it lol! It hasn't happened when I lost weight anywhere else!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Personally with me getting out for a walk in the nice sunshine did more for me than anything else.

Maybe it's a Vitamin D thing?
  • CherylMatthews66
    CherylMatthews66 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Since I've been losing weight I've started to suffer with bad eczema so I've been prescribed steroid cream from my GP. If you rapidly lose weight like I have, you can become deficient in some vitamins or become anemic which causes dry skin. With your stretch marks, cocoa butter is the best thing for it. I really love that stuff, it makes my skin really smooth and smells gorgeous :smile:

Hope you feel better soon and well done for the weight loss :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sorry if this has been asked and answered, but are you exercising more and not changing your clothes? i mean, even a serious walk can get you sweaty, and if you just go on with your day in thos clothes, you can get itchy.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Thread necormancy...

I searched on the internet for weight loss and itching and it brought me here. My stomach has been itching so bad. I thought I might ve allergic to belt so I stopped wearing it a week ago and nothing, still itches like crazy. I am on Zertec daily and cortisone creame because i am covered from head to toe in mosquito bites but none on my stomach, that is something else. I definitely suffer from a strong itch reaction where I can't help but scratch. I have scratched my whole body into scabs this summer. Boo. I drink over 100oz of water a day so I dont think I am dehydrated. I was just wondering if my belly is now hanging down more making it itch or what. I swear, my upper stomach actually feels bigger then it did 60lbs ago. Maybe I am just more aware of it because it won't stop itching!
  • Mytsunami
    Mytsunami Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Crazy. I developed hives for the first time in my life while i was losing weight. I had hives on my palms and arms for over a year and NOTHING would make them go away until i started laying out and tanning... I wonder if it was a vitamin D issue?
    My skin is really itchy in areas that I've lost a lot of fat in; I assumed it had something to do with the elasticity and my skin firming up in those areas.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Mytsunami wrote: »
    Crazy. I developed hives for the first time in my life while i was losing weight. I had hives on my palms and arms for over a year and NOTHING would make them go away until i started laying out and tanning... I wonder if it was a vitamin D issue?
    My skin is really itchy in areas that I've lost a lot of fat in; I assumed it had something to do with the elasticity and my skin firming up in those areas.

Crazy how this thread has been revived every few years. Must be a common thing.
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For the itchy skin I use Hawiian Moon Aloe. It takes away the itchy skin and moisturizes deep .
  • nojybear
    nojybear Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My theory is that the cause of the itching is linked to the impact weight loss has on the liver. This is based on the fact that an itchy skin can be an indication that the liver is not happy - so perhaps the weight loss includes losing liver fat and the change in the liver is the link. On that basis I think increasing water intake may be a logical solution. I suspect moisturising the skin may ease the the symptom of itchiness but that the increase in water helps to address the organ at the centre of the problem (albeit not the root cause which in my theory is loss of liver fat).
  • slwoody_43
    slwoody_43 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going through it too! I have tried everything from loading up on lotion, taking cold showers, scrubbing my skin and scalp! i thought i had bed bugs or something! I started using tea tree oil shampoo and body scrub along with Benadryl pills, but i dont want to go through this forever! help... But... i am grateful for the weight loss.. 40lbs down, 40-50 more to go, but enough with the itching already!
  • ThrivingSpirit
    ThrivingSpirit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've heard this can be from a few things.

1) Not getting enough fat and B vitamins in your diet.

2) Dehydration.

3) The body stores inflammatory hormones in fat, so when you burn fat those are released into your blood stream.

4) If you're eating a lot healthier your gut health is probably getting better... which means unhealthy bacteria is dying off and circulating through your system.

I deal with it too and it SUCKS. For me it's not just where I have stretch marks but all over my body. A lot of the time I'm fine but then if I go through a phase where I'm burning more fat it just hits me! Itching like crazy! Then I usually drop a chunk of weight almost overnight.
  • kikibee3
    kikibee3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been itching on my inner thighs and I have a massive dry patch on my right shoulder. I have been taking antihistamines to help. It's driving me bonkers though