Is there an ultimate diet for health, energy and disease prevention?

Options

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Almonds and other nuts have a ton of cancer fighting properties. Whole foods. Little to no sugar. An alkaline environment makes cancer die. It's impossible for it to grow in it. Avocados, lemons. Especially lemon water in the morning. Cucumbers. As much organic as possible. Low levels of dairy.

giphy.gif
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @FindingBecky The answer is "No". I congratulate you on whipping cancer twice. My step-mom has also whipped cancer twice and at the age of 80 continues eating a Standard American Diet. My father's aunt dipped tobacco snuff and ate bacon fat until it killed her. She was 93.

The 'ultimate' life and health advice includes exercise, red wine, and metformin. Since metformin is a prescription, about the best you can do is exercise lots, reach and maintain a healthy BMI, and consume red wine.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    There are online health and diet services where you can submit Bloodwork and have a DNA analysis done (followed by resulting reports on what you may be at risk for, best diets, healthy weights, etc) but they're about $299.00 to start. But since it's unlikely that you could pay a reasonable fee to get personalized health and diet advice from your doctor or lab without paying the same (or worse)....maybe it would be something of interest for you.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options
    As far as the organic diet argument here, I've been eating organic for about 13 years (basically shortly after my son was born) and I'm not "opposed" to GMOs just because they are called "GMO", am not an anti-vaxxer, and understand that basically everything is comprised of chemicals to some degree. Not all people who eat organic think it's a magic pill for perfect health or have weird beliefs in everything holistic. I want to avoid hormones, dyes, and needless allergens. And I feel and function better eating Organic Foods. Unfortunately....there are some weirdos who think anything "natural" is good and anything "manufactured" is bad and make us all seem foolish. Organic foods ARE typically healthier overall than non-organic foods. That doesn't mean EVERY organic food is better or healthier. I don't see what the huge argument *against* organic eating could possibly be.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As far as the organic diet argument here, I've been eating organic for about 13 years (basically shortly after my son was born) and I'm not "opposed" to GMOs just because they are called "GMO", am not an anti-vaxxer, and understand that basically everything is comprised of chemicals to some degree. Not all people who eat organic think it's a magic pill for perfect health or have weird beliefs in everything holistic. I want to avoid hormones, dyes, and needless allergens. And I feel and function better eating Organic Foods. Unfortunately....there are some weirdos who think anything "natural" is good and anything "manufactured" is bad and make us all seem foolish. Organic foods ARE typically healthier overall than non-organic foods. That doesn't mean EVERY organic food is better or healthier. I don't see what the huge argument *against* organic eating could possibly be.

The issue is, it's not really true with a few rare exceptions. Some fruits have more phosphorous (which is good if you are in the rare minority that have that issues) and it would appear that chicken/pork have a higher omega 3 ratio. So if anything, I can see a benefit from sourcing those foods that are higher quality.

But you definitely seem to have your reasons to eat that way, which is good. It's the same reason I try to get higher quality meats.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

The issue is, it's not really true with a few rare exceptions. Some fruits have more phosphorous (which is good if you are in the rare minority that have that issues) and it would appear that chicken/pork have a higher omega 3 ratio. So if anything, I can see a benefit from sourcing those foods that are higher quality.

But you definitely seem to have your reasons to eat that way, which is good. It's the same reason I try to get higher quality meats.

When I say "healthier" I guess I'm operating under the assumption that most people don't find higher hormone content and antibiotics to be the healthier choice, when you can avoid/reduce them. Not so much the vitamins and minerals. I eat regular stuff, too. Because there are unfortunately many food items that are marketed as "free of ______" when their non-organic counterparts were already "free of ____" to begin with. Which makes people think Organic eating is all a big marketing scheme. It's definitely something that you have to research and be aware of in choosing which foods are "worth it" to buy organic and which really make no difference.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    There are online health and diet services where you can submit Bloodwork and have a DNA analysis done (followed by resulting reports on what you may be at risk for, best diets, healthy weights, etc) but they're about $299.00 to start. But since it's unlikely that you could pay a reasonable fee to get personalized health and diet advice from your doctor or lab without paying the same (or worse)....maybe it would be something of interest for you.

and those tests arent 100% accurate many people have tried them and it said they werent at risk for certain things yet the health issues ran in their family and were genetic.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options

and those tests arent 100% accurate many people have tried them and it said they werent at risk for certain things yet the health issues ran in their family and were genetic.

I didn't suggest it was. I was offering an easy way for OP to find out potentially useful info for "health, disease, diet..." etc all in one place for a nominal fee.

If we want to give him ideas that are 100%, there would be zero replies.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I didn't suggest it was. I was offering an easy way for OP to find out potentially useful info for "health, disease, diet..." etc all in one place for a nominal fee.

yeah but why spend money on something that may say one thing when it may not be true? not to mention you can be tested and it could say you have X amount of chance for not having a heart attack and then a year later have a high risk or have one. see what Im saying? there are no guarantees in life all you can do is try to be as healthy as you can and hope genetics dont come and kick you in the butt
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options

yeah but why spend money on something that may say one thing when it may not be true? not to mention you can be tested and it could say you have X amount of chance for not having a heart attack and then a year later have a high risk or have one. see what Im saying? there are no guarantees in life all you can do is try to be as healthy as you can and hope genetics dont come and kick you in the butt

Sure, of course. But someone who is posting asking how to prevent literally everything is probably just as likely to spend $299 in a few months on dietary supplements, vitamins, books, fitness advice promising ridiculous things. I think info that's personalized is always a useful tool as long as the person stays realistic about how much it will actually help.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Sure, of course. But someone who is posting asking how to prevent literally everything is probably just as likely to spend $299 in a few months on dietary supplements, vitamins, books, fitness advice promising ridiculous things. I think info that's personalized is always a useful tool as long as the person stays realistic about how much it will actually help.

yeah they might, but preventing them from spending the money they may not have for these things IMO is better than saying go ahead and try this. its up to us to help people(at least thats what I believe) find the right way to do things and not believe the hype and bro science out there.I mean if someone has the money and they want to spend it on things like that,its their choice.But Id rather someone tell me something doesnt work before I spend the money and try it and wish I hadnt
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options

yeah they might, but preventing them from spending the money they may not have for these things IMO is better than saying go ahead and try this. its up to us to help people(at least thats what I believe) find the right way to do things and not believe the hype and bro science out there.I mean if someone has the money and they want to spend it on things like that,its their choice.But Id rather someone tell me something doesnt work before I spend the money and try it and wish I hadnt

Bloodwork, DNA testing, and follow up dietary advice isn't "bro science". It's actual science. And results from your own bloodwork and DNA is helpful information even if all you do is take it to your family doctor to discuss and form a plan. I really don't understand what "bro science" you're referring to. Or what "doesn't work". It's just results from a lab. And I do think that info would be useful to mostly everyone.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Bloodwork, DNA testing, and follow up dietary advice isn't "bro science". It's actual science. And results from your own bloodwork and DNA is helpful information even if all you do is take it to your family doctor to discuss and form a plan. I really don't understand what "bro science" you're referring to. Or what "doesn't work". It's just results from a lab. And I do think that info would be useful to mostly everyone.

not saying bloodwork is bro science and you can have genetic testing done which would be more beneficial,but those DNA kits online you get arent exactly accurate for one. many people said it gave them results that had nothing to do with their health or genetic predispositions for certain things. some of the tests told them they had a predisposition for certain things when they didnt or vice versa.

To me that would be like rolling the dice and seeing what the outcome is.not to mention you are sending your DNA to a lab and they can send you any results you want. where as if you have a dr order tests or even have genetic testing done, I would say it would be more accurate. not to mention what if the samples get lost? or they screw up and give you the wrong results? I mean going through a dr the lab can screw up but I think it would be a higher risk ordering online than having it done through a dr.

like that new cologuard test you can get to detect colon cancer.it said that the results may show false positives and so on(not saying this cant happen with other tests) but usually the dr will want to run further tests to make sure. I dont know I just dont have faith in dna tests and other tests you can buy online.maybe Im a skeptic.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Humans live on a lot of different kinds of diets. There are the !Kung, who can seasonally get over half of their calories from one type of nut (very, very high in fat), and the Inuit, who traditionally didn't have access to any kind of vegetation for a good portion of the year and obtained vitamin C and carbohydrates (glycogen) from eating seal liver.