JJ Smith 10 Day cleanse

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I always wonder what is it people think they are cleansing and detoxing by simply liquefying their food?

Cleanse a particular organ? ...With liquid veggies? No.
    Detox your blood perhaps? ...With liquid fruits? Impossible.
    Cleanse your intestines? Plausible theory... but that's simply a fiber and water issue which results in going to the bathroom. There are plenty of ways to do this. No need for liquid only diets or a super restrictive grocery list.

I've often seen people say that digesting solid food (or foods other than fruits and vegetables) is a strain on the body, so the "detox" is about giving your body a chance to recover from this stress. But nobody is ever able to explain how they determined that our body needs a break from processing food or that non-fruits and vegetables are different enough that your body doesn't need to work to digest them.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    That's really weird to get such negative replies, my husband was told this was a great way to start eating healthy and a friend recommended it to him. The stuff we looked into seemed like it was going to be a good thing to do. The stuff you use in the smoothies isn't unhealthy at all. So if you have actually looked into this one or have done it what exactly is bad about it because we aren't seeing negative things about it?

The food used for smoothies "isn't unhealthy"......that's fine, eat the food you would have used to make smoothies. The point is smoothies don't "cleanse" at all. Your liver & kidneys already do that. Cleanses are just a gimmick. You don't need gimmicks for weight loss, you need lifestyle changes.

Measure & log portions here - learn about "regular" eating habits because weight loss is just the first step. You will need to make a few changes to your regular routine to keep the weight off for good.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Here is the best "cleanse" you can do to get started on a healthy lifestyle: go through the refrigerator and cupboards and get rid of any foods that you have trouble controlling yourself around or are high calorie with minimal nutritional value. Then sit down and make out a meal plan for the week that includes high nutrition whole foods and prepare your grocery list. Refill the refrigerator and cupboards with the foods from that list. One week eating "healthier" foods can give you the inspiration to keep going. Over time, you can even re-introduce the high calorie-low nutrition foods as you learn how to incorporate them in reasonable amounts.

ETA: I started losing weight by doing exactly this. I didn't log or count calories at the beginning, I just made sure I was eating regular meals of nutritious food instead of grazing on whatever was in the house. A few weeks later, I started logging and counting calories. 60 lb down so far

All of this.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Just wanted to add that you do not have to exercise, it's not a requirement to lose weight. It's good for your body, but you don't need it to lose weight. It can give you more calories to eat, but for pure weight loss it comes down to a calorie deficit by eating foods that fit into your calorie allowance.

I personally know several people who struggle with their weight because they "know" they need to exercise, yet they hate doing it so they don't even try anymore. I tell them it's not necessary for weight loss and it just goes over their heads.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I always wonder what is it people think they are cleansing and detoxing by simply liquefying their food?

Cleanse your intestines? Plausible theory... but that's simply a fiber and water issue which results in going to the bathroom. There are plenty of ways to do this. No need for liquid only diets or a super restrictive grocery list.

I've often seen people say that digesting solid food (or foods other than fruits and vegetables) is a strain on the body, so the "detox" is about giving your body a chance to recover from this stress. But nobody is ever able to explain how they determined that our body needs a break from processing food or that non-fruits and vegetables are different enough that your body doesn't need to work to digest them.

Insightful.
    And odd that would be their reason considering fruits /vegetables and their fiber content in regards to the ease of digestion. But then again there is the variation of juicing vs blending whole foods and so on. I understand for certain illnesses like diverticulitis and other colon issues it makes sense, as colon rest is often prescribed along with liquid only diet for medical reasons.
    Who really knows why people think they need it. *shrug*

There is just something about chewing that I cant live without. ;)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Not gonna lie; there's a fitness club opened up near me and they've got bottles of this in the window. Side-eyeing them so hard. (I know, I know; just because they sell the stuff doesn't mean that the fitness instructors don't know their stuff. But it gives me a great deal of pause...)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Not gonna lie; there's a fitness club opened up near me and they've got bottles of this in the window. Side-eyeing them so hard. (I know, I know; just because they sell the stuff doesn't mean that the fitness instructors don't know their stuff. But it gives me a great deal of pause...)

https://www.totalcleanse.ca/pages/faq

I STILL dont understand how juice rids your body of toxins and strengthens your immune system.

$60 for a 1 day cleanse.
    $350 for a 7 day cleanse.
    https://www.totalcleanse.ca/collections/cleanse/products/purify-cleanse?variant=9689753411

Wow!

Obviously money is a filthy toxin and must be cleansed from the wallet.

Do you have any idea how many peoples filthy hands have touched those 20$ bills? you should probably just give them to me for safe disposal.

...but the $1's...

You don't know where those ones have been.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member

Insightful.
    And odd that would be their reason considering fruits /vegetables and their fiber content in regards to the ease of digestion. But then again there is the variation of juicing vs blending whole foods and so on. I understand for certain illnesses like diverticulitis and other colon issues it makes sense, as colon rest is often prescribed along with liquid only diet for medical reasons.
    Who really knows why people think they need it. *shrug*

There is just something about chewing that I cant live without. ;)

Yep, my son has Crohn's and had 22 inches of lower intestine removed (emergency surgery) when he was 13. They had him on a very specific liquid diet to, hopefully, allow his intestines to heal. Let me tell you that an actual replacement meal shake that includes all the necessary macros and micros is NOT cheap. PediaSure Peptide 1.5 at ~200 per case. He had to drink between 8-10 per day for 12 weeks. You can figure the math.
    It worked but it's expensive and he hated the stuff by day 3.

Back on topic. I wouldn't do a "cleanse" myself for the above mentioned reasons. If I was trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies maybe. Not a fan of most fruits and veggies much but I've done some shakes here and there just to get more intake and mask the taste.