Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Are the shirataki noodles available at a regular grocery store, what section? Are they the same as the Quest noodles? Just got my Braggs Amino -- I'm thinking noodles, red grilled peppers, grilled asparagus topped with Mahi?
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Are the shirataki noodles available at a regular grocery store, what section? Are they the same as the Quest noodles? Just got my Braggs Amino -- I'm thinking noodles, red grilled peppers, grilled asparagus topped with Mahi?

they're in the produce department or refrigerated section of most grocery stores. Same as Quest without the protein.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    So excited to see this thread. I joined yesterday and described myself as an "opportunistic" eater (if the food is there, I want to eat it!) but this is a much more accurate description of me. And seeing everything you all are making is great!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I need to get up on this shirataki noodle bandwagon! I wonder if they're good in salads, kinda like those cold asian noodle salads or seaweed salad type things? Anyone done this with shirataki noodles?

I think they'd be a little mushy in a salad. I wouldn't, honestly. Those kelp noodles work better. Still...they aren't great lol.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    @sofchak that's similar to what I was thinking for tonight! Was gonna do 2 bags shirataki rice, shrimp, red cabbage carrot, cucumber and soy sauce.

But um...3 oz of shrimp at 50 calories? I thought it was more than that...

Frozen shrimp - says 50 cal on the bag for 3oz. I weigh it frozen. Apologies, should have mentioned that.

• bbell1985
    sofchak wrote: »
    @sofchak that's similar to what I was thinking for tonight! Was gonna do 2 bags shirataki rice, shrimp, red cabbage carrot, cucumber and soy sauce.

But um...3 oz of shrimp at 50 calories? I thought it was more than that...

Frozen shrimp - says 50 cal on the bag for 3oz. I weigh it frozen. Apologies, should have mentioned that.

Ha no need to apologize. I just never weighed it frozen.
  • bbell1985
    This is slightly off topic but kind of on....Do you all have huge bellies at the end of the day? I look pregnant right now.

I also find that the scale is just unreliable because of the weight of all the food.
  • bbell1985
    I sometimes get a swollen belly. My friend at work calls it my poop baby and pokes it. Then when it's flat she says I had my baby, lol. Idk if it has anything to do with volume eating, or just irregularity...maybe both. Also, cruciferous veggies...

Yeah I have GI issues on top of the high volume so ...

If I have a date, I try to eat smaller/higher fat meals so I don't look stupid in a fitting dress.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    sounds like an expensive wet dream.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    You volume eater people are just as dedicated as the filthy eaters (which is awesome).

I can't tell if it's snark or real: Can someone explain hot dog salad?
  • gunner19er
    gunner19er Posts: 36 Member
    Ok so this idea is new to me and I have trouble eating regularly. I work shift work and meals are spread out but what benefits does this method have.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    You volume eater people are just as dedicated as the filthy eaters (which is awesome).

I just put hot dogs and ketchup, jalapenos and cheese on top of a crap ton of lettuce and veg. Hot dog salad. Chicken hot dogs though cause they're only 60 calories and I can have 4.

I haven't tried hotdog salad but I get chicken sausages from Wegmans (about 2x as thick as a ballpark beef dog) and they are only 110-140 calories per link (sun dried tomato and spinach feta are my favorite). So I can get lots of volume for fairly low calorie.
  • bbell1985
    gunner19er wrote: »
    Ok so this idea is new to me and I have trouble eating regularly. I work shift work and meals are spread out but what benefits does this method have.

It's just a way of eating that keeps some people full. Everyone has their preferences. Some people wouldn't be satisfied because they may like smaller more calorie dense or fuller fat meals. I like a lot of food in mah belly
  • bbell1985
    psuLemon wrote: »

I just put hot dogs and ketchup, jalapenos and cheese on top of a crap ton of lettuce and veg. Hot dog salad. Chicken hot dogs though cause they're only 60 calories and I can have 4.

I haven't tried hotdog salad but I get chicken sausages from Wegmans (about 2x as thick as a ballpark beef dog) and they are only 110-140 calories per link (sun dried tomato and spinach feta are my favorite). So I can get lots of volume for fairly low calorie.

I also get chicken feta sausages for 80-90 calories. Bilinski's.