ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    kfizza1 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    Of course calorie deficit is critical. I assumed that the OP is following a calorie-restricted diet, like most people on MFP. While eating clean doesn't necessarily mean weight loss, eating clean DOES help in reducing fat overall. Also, exercise burns calories AND fat. The main reason why HIIT is so popular is because it takes your body in fat-burn mode. I recommend IF because working out when you're fasting allows even more fat-burn. I have personally noticed a huge difference in my tummy fat following the things I mentioned (along with calorie restriction and NO over eating EVER).

Do you have evidence from a reliable source (e.g. a scientific journal, preferably a meta-analysis or review article) that "clean eating" reduces body fat compared to the same caloric intake/deficit on a "non-clean" diet?

The proportion of fat vs. carbohydrate your body uses for fuel during exercise varies with intensity, duration, and training level. Weight loss will depend on a caloric deficit--regardless of what proportion of calories comes from either source during the workout itself.

To the OP, your body will lose fat if you maintain a caloric deficit. Where it loses fat is not under your control; short of having surgery to specifically remove said fat. You just get what you get. While some of the strategies recommended might help you lose weight overall, they're not going to target your belly fat.

My go to page for all health/workout inquires:

"Eat clean foods daily. Tosca Reno, author of "The Eat Clean Diet," suggests eating whole, clean foods for maximum fat-burning potential. Eating clean consists of eating fresh lean proteins, complex-carbohydrates and essential fats. Bodybuilders have used this diet to burn fat for many years. Choose proteins such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, tofu, fish, beans and legumes. Whole grains, brown rice and fresh fruits and vegetables are all excellent complex-carbohydrates."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/81686-burn-belly-fat-naturally/

^This article also answers your original question, OP. Hope it helps! :)

that is not a scientific journal...

try again ..

I never said anything against a caloric deficit. That is of course KEY to any fat loss, which is why I am following it myself currently. I only shared what worked for me personally. I am not a licensed health professional and neither here to make any scientifically accurate claims with my limited knowledge. Eating clean, staying at a caloric deficit and cardio has helped me reduce belly fat, and that's exactly what I shared with the OP, only hoping it'd help her. If it came out as misguiding, then I apologize.

you made a blanket statement that eating clean burns fat faster, which it does not. Blanket statements such as that need to be backed up by some kind of evidence that has been peer reviewed.

Well, thanks to you today I learned that I can eat more McDonald's and still lose weight. (As long as I'm maintaining a calorie deficit).

right, because when I said make sure you meet micros and macros and you don't have to eat "clean" that automatically means eat 100% McDonald's..

There are no bad foods, just bad diets; what matters is context and dosage.

and you can eat some mcdonalds food and meet your goals, the two are not mutually exclusive..

• kfizza1
    kfizza1 Posts: 48 Member
    Of course calorie deficit is critical. I assumed that the OP is following a calorie-restricted diet, like most people on MFP. While eating clean doesn't necessarily mean weight loss, eating clean DOES help in reducing fat overall. Also, exercise burns calories AND fat. The main reason why HIIT is so popular is because it takes your body in fat-burn mode. I recommend IF because working out when you're fasting allows even more fat-burn. I have personally noticed a huge difference in my tummy fat following the things I mentioned (along with calorie restriction and NO over eating EVER).

Do you have evidence from a reliable source (e.g. a scientific journal, preferably a meta-analysis or review article) that "clean eating" reduces body fat compared to the same caloric intake/deficit on a "non-clean" diet?

The proportion of fat vs. carbohydrate your body uses for fuel during exercise varies with intensity, duration, and training level. Weight loss will depend on a caloric deficit--regardless of what proportion of calories comes from either source during the workout itself.

To the OP, your body will lose fat if you maintain a caloric deficit. Where it loses fat is not under your control; short of having surgery to specifically remove said fat. You just get what you get. While some of the strategies recommended might help you lose weight overall, they're not going to target your belly fat.

"Eat clean foods daily. Tosca Reno, author of "The Eat Clean Diet," suggests eating whole, clean foods for maximum fat-burning potential. Eating clean consists of eating fresh lean proteins, complex-carbohydrates and essential fats. Bodybuilders have used this diet to burn fat for many years. Choose proteins such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, tofu, fish, beans and legumes. Whole grains, brown rice and fresh fruits and vegetables are all excellent complex-carbohydrates."

try again ..

I never said anything against a caloric deficit. That is of course KEY to any fat loss, which is why I am following it myself currently. I only shared what worked for me personally. I am not a licensed health professional and neither here to make any scientifically accurate claims with my limited knowledge. Eating clean, staying at a caloric deficit and cardio has helped me reduce belly fat, and that's exactly what I shared with the OP, only hoping it'd help her. If it came out as misguiding, then I apologize.

you made a blanket statement that eating clean burns fat faster, which it does not. Blanket statements such as that need to be backed up by some kind of evidence that has been peer reviewed.

Well, thanks to you today I learned that I can eat more McDonald's and still lose weight. (As long as I'm maintaining a calorie deficit).

yeah you can no one is saying not to eat a balanced diet but I still eat foods I love including fast food and I have lost a lot of fat all over just by being in a deficit. went from a 38-39 inch waist to a 27 inch waist,48 hips to 37 hips.30"+ thighs to 22 inches. my upper half was always my smallest areas,went from a 38B to a 34B(lost band inches only) cup size is still the same. so yeah.

That is super impressive! Congrats on the progress! If you don't mind me asking, what was your average calorie goal?

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

try again ..

yeah you can no one is saying not to eat a balanced diet but I still eat foods I love including fast food and I have lost a lot of fat all over just by being in a deficit. went from a 38-39 inch waist to a 27 inch waist,48 hips to 37 hips.30"+ thighs to 22 inches. my upper half was always my smallest areas,went from a 38B to a 34B(lost band inches only) cup size is still the same. so yeah.

That is super impressive! Congrats on the progress! If you don't mind me asking, what was your average calorie goal?

Thanks and I went back and looked at mfp reports on net calories and for net its 1565 average(for last 90 days), some days it was a lot more and I started out eating 2000 calories. some days there were times when I wasnt really hungry and ate less than the 1500).

I'm 5'6 1/2 and I was 209lbs back then. I wasnt very active either, Im more active now than I was but my calories have been up and down because I will take a diet break from time to time(when I take a break or get tired of eating in a deficit I will eat in maintenance).

calorie goals are going to vary person to person based on height,weight,activity and age.There was a point when I was only eating 1400-1500 calories,but now that Im more active I need to eat more. so Im eating about 2000-2200. havent lost weight but have lost some more fat in areas that its hard to measure lol.
    I probably would have lost more had I ate a little less, but I get hungry and cant sustain less than 1400 calories most of the time. trust me I tried.

There are many days I go over my calories but Im still in a deficit most of the time.
  • kfizza1
    kfizza1 Posts: 48 Member

try again ..

Thanks and I went back and looked at mfp reports on net calories and for net its 1565 average(for last 90 days), some days it was a lot more and I started out eating 2000 calories. some days there were times when I wasnt really hungry and ate less than the 1500).

I'm 5'6 1/2 and I was 209lbs back then. I wasnt very active either, Im more active now than I was but my calories have been up and down because I will take a diet break from time to time(when I take a break or get tired of eating in a deficit I will eat in maintenance).

calorie goals are going to vary person to person based on height,weight,activity and age.There was a point when I was only eating 1400-1500 calories,but now that Im more active I need to eat more. so Im eating about 2000-2200. havent lost weight but have lost some more fat in areas that its hard to measure lol.
    I probably would have lost more had I ate a little less, but I get hungry and cant sustain less than 1400 calories most of the time. trust me I tried.

There are many days I go over my calories but Im still in a deficit most of the time.

This is very helpful. Thank you for sharing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

try again ..

This is very helpful. Thank you for sharing.

you are welcome and I also did weight lifting (got to get back into it)and get enough protein to prevent losing leans mass/muscle and It changed how my body looked. Im at a smaller clothing size at a higher weight,than I was. I still have about 25lbs to lose but right now Im just focusing on health and getting my workouts in
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Stop eating processed and fast food eat whole foods. It's more healthy eating that actually working out but you have to do them both cut out sugar and eat healthy fats those fats may keep those curves
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Stop eating processed and fast food eat whole foods. It's more healthy eating that actually working out but you have to do them both cut out sugar and eat healthy fats those fats may keep those curves

you do not have to stop eating those things or cut them out. how is cutting those things out going to help her keep her curves while losing fat? do you have anything to back up these claims? I eat those things and cut nothing out of my diet and lost a lot of fat.
  • ndj1979

Nope
  • udebear
    udebear Posts: 39 Member
    Far to many calories in McDonalds for it to fit into a calorie deficit diet anyway.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    udebear wrote: »
    Far to many calories in McDonalds for it to fit into a calorie deficit diet anyway.

UH NO!!!

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lose-weight-eating-only-mcdonalds-2015-10
  • ndj1979

Wrong
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member

You don't need to cut any foods out. Just eat at a caloric deficit. If you really want to dial your diet in, track your protein, fat and carbs. But, honestly, you just need a caloric deficit.

Not if you plan for it. Prelog and plan the rest of your day around it.

I've been doing this for a long time and there are no special gimmicks, no foods you have to give up, no certain way you HAVE to eat. Just eat at a deficit, exercise if you want (I lost most of my weight without exercising) and enjoy life.
  • LilMsEnergy1
    LilMsEnergy1 Posts: 49 Member
    Hey

Belly fat can sometimes mean bloating, stress or digestive problems or fibroids

I have the same problem. I accepted for a long time I'm fat....

This wasn't actually true my stomach just a bit out of proportion from the rest of me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Hey

Belly fat can sometimes mean bloating, stress or digestive problems or fibroids

I have the same problem. I accepted for a long time I'm fat....

This wasn't actually true my stomach just a bit out of proportion from the rest of me.

if you are bloating or have digestive issues its not belly fat, your stomach will distend because of the bloating or even the fibroids, but its not fat.its like bloating after you eat, its not extra fat its the bloating making your stomach extend,whatever belly fat you have doesnt increase due to these issues unless you are gaining weight and you gain fat if you eat more than you burn.

if your stomach sticks out it can also be weak muscles/core,bad posture,etc.