Is there anyone who didn't take the easy way out?

Options

Replies

• SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    SnackHips wrote: »
    I'm getting it because I cant stick to a deficit for the life of me. I literally have mental breakdowns and have to go on medication when I'm losing weight and the medicine just causes me to gain. I've worked with doctors and nutritionists as well as personal trainers. I've trained and ran half marathons, lifted weights, been involved in multiple sports, cut out processed food, ate this not that, this often that often. Call me stupid or lazy but I've busted butt and gone through tons of emotions without any success. Surgery is a tool to help me with these issues and it is the last hope I have.

if you cant stick to a deficit then you wont lose the weight. I have a neighbor who had WLS and she is gaining the weight back because she is not sticking to a deficit.

It is more of my body maintaining really well. At 120lbs I weighed 120lbs no matter what I did. Then I was on medication and put on 40lbs in two months. Now I'm 160 no matter what I do. If I can get help to get past the maintenance level I can maintain at a new level, but every time I get the first 10lbs off no matter how slowly, it shoots back up in a couple days because my body is determined to maintain. It is part physical part mental, but I'd rather go this route for the assistance than a bunch of pills.

weight fluctuates so you dont have just one weight number. and medications dont make you gain weight,they increase appetite and you eat more or they lower your TDEE/metabolism a bit therefore you need to eat less. if it shoots back up in a couple of days its a fluctuation unless you are eating 3500+ calories over your TDEE those couple of days to gain it back.

This is 3 months to lose 10lbs and one week to gain it. The stuff I was on did both of those things sadly. And as a side note: there are 350lb people with habits far worse than mine and they lose the weight and keep it off with surgery. I have no disillusion about the valuable tool it will be and how to incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle. It will essentially prevent me from binging 3 months of work off before I can reach a healthy weight to maintain. I will still be eating healthy food and working out daily.

you dont gain it all back in a week unless you are severely overeating and in that case you would weigh more than you do if that was happening. as for it preventing you from binging,you cant say that or rely on that.and eating healthy and exercise doesnt guarantee weight loss unless you are in a deficit. not to mention once you have the surgery you will have issues with absorbing certain vitamins and minerals and will have to take supplements most likely the rest of your life.

Most supplement issues are for bypass not sleeve. It is literally 10lbs of fat in a week. Something gets triggered and my body overproduces hunger hormone and I can't stop eating for days. I've tried fighting it with "will power" and it is much like a heroin addict being tied up next to a pile of the drug. Physical pain and shaking, anxiety, depression, etc. And I'm not talking about oh I deprived myself of so much and I can't take it anymore. I eat balanced meals at appropriate intervals and practice moderation. I go for months with my "healthy lifestyle" then have these breakdowns out of the blue. I don't need to fight like this anymore. And in response to the other person I get that medication does pack on secret magical weight. It does however slow metabolism and increase hunger and couple with pills that relax anxiety enough to make you just happy and not stressed about the struggle anymore those pounds can creep up fast. I'm super happy that people get past this without surgery but I have fought unsuccessfully for years now. Call it dumb, call it lazy, but life is short and I have money and doctors so I'm going to use every tool available to me to figure this out.

I don't understand how you think surgery is going to solve these problems though? It won't solve your anxiety, your hunger, your binge eating tendencies, won't negate the need for the medication that you are taking. All it does is get you back to the same point you started at before you gained this weight, so why do you believe you won't be right back here in the short, medium, or long term?

A good friend's sister has all sorts of mental health issues, and she got WLS about 8 years ago. Lost some weight, then worked out how to game the system and ended up bigger than ever. It's amazing the stuff you can consume if you're determined to binge, even with the WLS.

I dont have a binge eating disorder. I don't t eat when I'm not hungry. People that binge eat emotionally and often it happens multiple times a week. They eat hungry or not. My body tells me I'm starving when I start to lose weight. It is hormonal.
  • SnackHips
    Options
    I'm getting it because I cant stick to a deficit for the life of me. I literally have mental breakdowns and have to go on medication when I'm losing weight and the medicine just causes me to gain. I've worked with doctors and nutritionists as well as personal trainers. I've trained and ran half marathons, lifted weights, been involved in multiple sports, cut out processed food, ate this not that, this often that often. Call me stupid or lazy but I've busted butt and gone through tons of emotions without any success. Surgery is a tool to help me with these issues and it is the last hope I have.

if you cant stick to a deficit then you wont lose the weight. I have a neighbor who had WLS and she is gaining the weight back because she is not sticking to a deficit.

It is more of my body maintaining really well. At 120lbs I weighed 120lbs no matter what I did. Then I was on medication and put on 40lbs in two months. Now I'm 160 no matter what I do. If I can get help to get past the maintenance level I can maintain at a new level, but every time I get the first 10lbs off no matter how slowly, it shoots back up in a couple days because my body is determined to maintain. It is part physical part mental, but I'd rather go this route for the assistance than a bunch of pills.

weight fluctuates so you dont have just one weight number. and medications dont make you gain weight,they increase appetite and you eat more or they lower your TDEE/metabolism a bit therefore you need to eat less. if it shoots back up in a couple of days its a fluctuation unless you are eating 3500+ calories over your TDEE those couple of days to gain it back.

This is 3 months to lose 10lbs and one week to gain it. The stuff I was on did both of those things sadly. And as a side note: there are 350lb people with habits far worse than mine and they lose the weight and keep it off with surgery. I have no disillusion about the valuable tool it will be and how to incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle. It will essentially prevent me from binging 3 months of work off before I can reach a healthy weight to maintain. I will still be eating healthy food and working out daily.

you dont gain it all back in a week unless you are severely overeating and in that case you would weigh more than you do if that was happening. as for it preventing you from binging,you cant say that or rely on that.and eating healthy and exercise doesnt guarantee weight loss unless you are in a deficit. not to mention once you have the surgery you will have issues with absorbing certain vitamins and minerals and will have to take supplements most likely the rest of your life.

Most supplement issues are for bypass not sleeve. It is literally 10lbs of fat in a week. Something gets triggered and my body overproduces hunger hormone and I can't stop eating for days. I've tried fighting it with "will power" and it is much like a heroin addict being tied up next to a pile of the drug. Physical pain and shaking, anxiety, depression, etc. And I'm not talking about oh I deprived myself of so much and I can't take it anymore. I eat balanced meals at appropriate intervals and practice moderation. I go for months with my "healthy lifestyle" then have these breakdowns out of the blue. I don't need to fight like this anymore. And in response to the other person I get that medication does pack on secret magical weight. It does however slow metabolism and increase hunger and couple with pills that relax anxiety enough to make you just happy and not stressed about the struggle anymore those pounds can creep up fast. I'm super happy that people get past this without surgery but I have fought unsuccessfully for years now. Call it dumb, call it lazy, but life is short and I have money and doctors so I'm going to use every tool available to me to figure this out.

I don't understand how you think surgery is going to solve these problems though? It won't solve your anxiety, your hunger, your binge eating tendencies, won't negate the need for the medication that you are taking. All it does is get you back to the same point you started at before you gained this weight, so why do you believe you won't be right back here in the short, medium, or long term?

My depression and anxiety is managed. I get symptoms beyond control when I lose weight and the hormones kick in. Counseling and medication have brought me as far as they can. I need physical intervention. It sounds lame I know. I'm reasonably intelligent and very determined and I can't get past the limitations regardless. I know how it appears to someone on the outside with only a few paragraphs of information but everyone close to me family friends doctors counselors trainers etc... Understands. If you had five tools to get healthy and you only used three you would be foolish. I could go into theories about why some people struggle like this and never succeed but I can only speak from my own experience.
  • toastedink
    toastedink Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery after years of trying to loose. I was almost 300lbs. That being said, WLS is a tool - not a fix. I still work out quite a bit. And I have to watch everything I put into my body. Do I regret it? Nope. But it is a LOT of work. First you have to find a reputable office. One that wants to see you succeed. Before my office even accepted me they had to look at 7 years of my diet history. They went through all my records from previous doctors. I had to have major tests done (including a psychiatric evaluation) and attend their nutrition classes. I was mentally ready to do it and I had a great support system. It isn't for everyone that is for sure.

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    When my doctor casually mentioned looking into WLS is when I decided to start losing weight. The thought of surgery scared me that much (I've had too many surgeries and will avoid any unnecessary ones I can!). I lost half my body weight and learned a lot about how much I really can do when I put my mind to it.

I know people who have had the surgery and it is not easy. I have no clue where people get the idea it is.

• SnackHips
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of having a new weight loss surgery. I want to have my index finger removed so I can't call Domino's. :/

I eat better than many of the professionals I have worked with. Believe it or not you can stay over weight on healthy food. I have maintained for weeks because I had a couple extra bites of almonds and baked chicken. I use a small plate and it is mostly vegetables. I only drink water or black coffee. I don't eat out or order in. I walk, run, lift heavy, swim, bike, kickbox, and do Brazilian jujitsu. I do appreciate the words of caution from everyone on here. But I've weighed my options and done what I can.
  • SnackHips
    Options
    toastedink wrote: »
    I had weight loss surgery after years of trying to loose. That being said, WLS is a tool - not a fix. I still work out quite a bit. And I have to watch everything I put into my body. Do I regret it? Nope. But you really should investigate what you are getting into. And make sure you go to a reputable clinic with a great staff that will support you. I know before my office even accepted me they had to look at 7 years of my diet history. They went through all my records from previous doctors. I had to have major tests done (including a psychiatric evaluation) and attend their nutrition classes. I was mentally ready to do it and I had a great support system. It isn't for everyone that is for sure.

Yea I had all of that done. I'm happy with the clinic I chose. I've worked closely with my primary physician. Thank you :)
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

My depression and anxiety is managed. I get symptoms beyond control when I lose weight and the hormones kick in. Counseling and medication have brought me as far as they can. I need physical intervention. It sounds lame I know. I'm reasonably intelligent and very determined and I can't get past the limitations regardless. I know how it appears to someone on the outside with only a few paragraphs of information but everyone close to me family friends doctors counselors trainers etc... Understands. If you had five tools to get healthy and you only used three you would be foolish. I could go into theories about why some people struggle like this and never succeed but I can only speak from my own experience.

This is a serious question. If your hormones kick in beyond your control when you lose weight, how is this going to change when you have WLS? Because you will be trying to lose 40lbs. Do the doctors think these hormones are going to kick in again, or will the surgery stop that from triggering?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of having a new weight loss surgery. I want to have my index finger removed so I can't call Domino's. :/

I eat better than many of the professionals I have worked with. Believe it or not you can stay over weight on healthy food. I have maintained for weeks because I had a couple extra bites of almonds and baked chicken. I use a small plate and it is mostly vegetables. I only drink water or black coffee. I don't eat out or order in. I walk, run, lift heavy, swim, bike, kickbox, and do Brazilian jujitsu. I do appreciate the words of caution from everyone on here. But I've weighed my options and done what I can.

How will WLS help this? Genuine question - if you're only eating small amounts of low calorie foods and not losing weight, how will WLS change that?
  • SnackHips
    Options

This is a serious question. If your hormones kick in beyond your control when you lose weight, how is this going to change when you have WLS? Because you will be trying to lose 40lbs. Do the doctors think these hormones are going to kick in again, or will the surgery stop that from triggering?

From how they have explained it, they basically remove most of the part of the stomach that triggers the hormone production. Some studies suggest it turns on and off different genetics as well but I don't know much about how that really works.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sounds to me that these drs are feeding you a line of BS to make a buck
  • Alatariel75
    Options

From how they have explained it, they basically remove most of the part of the stomach that triggers the hormone production. Some studies suggest it turns on and off different genetics as well but I don't know much about how that really works.

I have never, ever heard that before.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

All I would suggest is, be an informed patient. If this is what they have explained, but you don't know all the details, really look into it. Go on the web and find research on this. It may take some time, but really get informed, just so YOU know what the process is that is taking place so you have realistic expectations of how this is going to control the hormone release.

As someone who has been under numerous medical procedures, I can tell you, the doctors give you a shortened version of what is taking place. IMO, it's always better to know the details of what is going to go on and exactly how it will be effecting you. More information is always better.

Again, best of luck to you.
  • LosingDrea
    LosingDrea Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I deffinately don't think WLS is an easy way out. Both my mother and husband had it done and I watch them struggle still many years post op to try and keep their weight down. Food is an addicition and a way of life for most of us and until were ready to say enough is enough were not going to just give up eating the garbage we continue to choose. I have lost my weight from relearning what to eat. I was inspired by a video I saw on YouTube and started to do videos myself to be accountable. I started October 11th, 2011 and today I struggle without a tool from WLS. My tools are suport I find from others who struggle and my YouTube videos when I make the effort to film them. I love to share the tips and tricks and I have learned from trial and error of my own body. Everyone is different. I am currently eating a ketogenic lifestyle and loving the way I feel. I am actually on day #8 of what is called an Egg Fast and I am really loving the results. I am down 10#'s since starting the fast and I just keep on going because I am in love with seeing the weight going down on the scale every day because I am in the habit of weighing myself every day even though some people don't suggest that. For me it helps to motivate me even when its a gain and it upsets me. I have learned to use it to motivate me in a positve way not a negative was as in pushig me to the kitchen to take it out with food and trying to harm myself further. This is no different than drugs are to an addict who uses them. This wat if eating has made my messups much easier to come back from and get back on track. Its the removal of sugar, startches and grains which has allowed me to stop the cravings I was having which were off the charts rediculous. For anyone who says they can not give up on any of those things because they like them to much...I GET IT! I was there myself because those foods have us addicted to them and we don't feel or beleive we can quit them. I am here to tell you though if you just try you might be surprised just how easy it can be and if you rid your cubbords and fridge of all those bad foods so they are not easily accessabe you will have an even easier time of not eating them. Eventually eating healthy becomes the new norm for you and your hunger for food will be much less. You can live without carbs. BAD ones especially. Do your research and find out for yourself, Off my soap box. [post edited by MFP mods]
  • SnackHips
    Options

You haven't looked it up then.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    LosingDrea wrote: »
    I deffinately don't think WLS is an easy way out. Both my mother and husband had it done and I watch them struggle still many years post op to try and keep their weight down. Food is an addicition and a way of life for most of us and until were ready to say enough is enough were not going to just give up eating the garbage we continue to choose. I have lost my weight from relearning what to eat. I was inspired by a video I saw on YouTube and started to do videos myself to be accountable. I started October 11th, 2011 and today I struggle without a tool from WLS. My tools are suport I find from others who struggle and my YouTube videos when I make the effort to film them. I love to share the tips and tricks and I have learned from trial and error of my own body. Everyone is different. I am currently eating a ketogenic lifestyle and loving the way I feel. I am actually on day #8 of what is called an Egg Fast and I am really loving the results. I am down 10#'s since starting the fast and I just keep on going because I am in love with seeing the weight going down on the scale every day because I am in the habit of weighing myself every day even though some people don't suggest that. For me it helps to motivate me even when its a gain and it upsets me. I have learned to use it to motivate me in a positve way not a negative was as in pushig me to the kitchen to take it out with food and trying to harm myself further. This is no different than drugs are to an addict who uses them. This wat if eating has made my messups much easier to come back from and get back on track. Its the removal of sugar, startches and grains which has allowed me to stop the cravings I was having which were off the charts rediculous. For anyone who says they can not give up on any of those things because they like them to much...I GET IT! I was there myself because those foods have us addicted to them and we don't feel or beleive we can quit them. I am here to tell you though if you just try you might be surprised just how easy it can be and if you rid your cubbords and fridge of all those bad foods so they are not easily accessabe you will have an even easier time of not eating them. Eventually eating healthy becomes the new norm for you and your hunger for food will be much less. You can live without carbs. BAD ones especially. Do your research and find out for yourself, Off my soap box. [post edited by MFP mods]

so you are just eating eggs? if so thats not what a keto diet entails
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Doesn't work; online ordering still exists
  • Alatariel75
    Options

You haven't looked it up then.

Well no. Because I don't plan to get WLS. I'm still skeptical.
  • SnackHips
    Options

All I would suggest is, be an informed patient. If this is what they have explained, but you don't know all the details, really look into it. Go on the web and find research on this. It may take some time, but really get informed, just so YOU know what the process is that is taking place so you have realistic expectations of how this is going to control the hormone release.

As someone who has been under numerous medical procedures, I can tell you, the doctors give you a shortened version of what is taking place. IMO, it's always better to know the details of what is going to go on and exactly how it will be effecting you. More information is always better.

Again, best of luck to you.

I understand the parts they have explained. The genetic stuff is things I've read in Medical journals. I say I don't understand in the way that one I'm not a geneticist and two they are still studying it so there isn't cut and dry information. I do read a lot about all of it though. Probably too much reading lol.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    OP, my sister-in-law had bariatric surgery five years ago. I've only known her for three years, but I would absolutely NOT say she took the easy way out. She weight 380 pounds at the age of 18 and had numerous health issues. Even since then it's been hard for her with other complications and a rough pregnancy that left her in and out of the hospital throughout the nine months. She is incredibly strong to have done this, but I don't think I could.