"Woo" Button to Comment on Posts (?)

Options

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm not inclined to use it. If I like what someone has posted, I'd be happy to tell them so.
    If I'm not keen, or in agreement, or I don't know for sure, I'll just shut up.

I'd feel the need to always add "Woo as in great!" which kinda defeats the purpose of the brevity.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Re "it must be woo hoo since MFP is positive only" -- MFP has issued an official explanation of what it means. (This is discussed upthread.) One of the meanings is "too good to be true." I do not consider pointing out that something is too good to be true = negative, but if you do this may be distressing for you.

I also kind of enjoy that it's ambiguous. And now that WooHoo! from the start of Blur's Song 2 keeps running through my head.

Why thank you, now its stuck in mine and i just got the pj masks theme tune outta there
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Sugarand, but other people may think you are praising the answer as Woo-Hoo.. So the purpose of sarcasm may not be understood.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    A programmer or tech manager had to make the final decision. They may have not known it was negative. I wonder. UnderArmour is hurting financially. It is possible it is all outsourced. MFP would not allow a negative button. Woo-hoo is very popular where I am from.

They took a poll of users - it was one of several options. I think all the suggested reactions were vetted long before the poll started.

I don't think the poll mentioned that it would be used for 2 completely opposite things. That makes no sense and I wouldn't have voted for it in that case. So now it's up to the poster, some of which don't even know what "woo" is, to decide if someone is cheering them or calling them out?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just learned that there's a drink called a woo woo: "an alcoholic beverage made of vodka, peach schnapps, and cranberry juice....The ingredients are usually shaken together with ice or stirred as preferred. A lime wedge is used as a garnish." (So I guess it's a sex on the beach without the orange juice?)

Anyway, now I might think of "woo" as a toast:
    hlvs20elbed1.jpg
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Honestly, would it really send people into the depths of despair if we had a simple "disagree" option?

Well, on the Debate forums people like to use the "flag" button when they really really disagree. lol
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'm personally using it to cast a vote for this post is full of pseudo science. ACV, diet pills, meal timing etc.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I'm still going with it meaning lol.

WZIc3XV.png
  • try2again
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

WZIc3XV.png

Actually, lol wouldn't be a bad option... sarcastic, but cheery :)
  • try2again
    Options
    I'm personally using it to cast a vote for this post is full of pseudo science. ACV, diet pills, meal timing etc.

So then, we need to compile a database of each user and their intent when using the woo button... handy! ;)
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    woo
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

WZIc3XV.png

Actually, lol wouldn't be a bad option... sarcastic, but cheery :)

But then we'd argue about whether it means the person who clicks it is laughing at you or with you.

LOL ;-)

Perfect clarity eludes us always.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    wuj6h8idc8v2.jpg
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    A programmer or tech manager had to make the final decision. They may have not known it was negative. I wonder. UnderArmour is hurting financially. It is possible it is all outsourced. MFP would not allow a negative button. Woo-hoo is very popular where I am from.

They took a poll of users - it was one of several options. I think all the suggested reactions were vetted long before the poll started.

I don't think the poll mentioned that it would be used for 2 completely opposite things. That makes no sense and I wouldn't have voted for it in that case. So now it's up to the poster, some of which don't even know what "woo" is, to decide if someone is cheering them or calling them out?

Agreed. It's useless if it means 2 contradictory things! I assumed it meant "bro- or pseudo-science." That is how the phrase is commonly used on these forums.

Seriously - how would "Woo" in a positive sense, meaning "Woo Hoo!", be different from "Awesome" anyway?!

It isn't. ;)