What is the deal with avocados?

Options
13»

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Making soap from scratch? That sounds amazing. Im sure Its better than any soap you can find at the store! Never thought of using avocado for baking. Sounds interesting!

If you look at the ingredients list you'll discover that 99% of the soap that you find at the store isn't actually soap, it's detergent. We call it soap the same way we call facial tissue "Kleenex". It's just become the common word for cleansing bars and liquids. True soap is lye+fat (either vegetable fat, animal fat or a mix of both. I use vegetable fats i.e. Oils).

I love making soap from scratch. I make really luxurious soap so I add things to it like avocado, goat milk, and pure silk. Yes, real silk fibre, that gets dissolved in the lye. Way better than what you find in stores. And the great thing about is that the more you learn about the science of it you can make different soaps for different types of skin needs, dry, sensitive, babies, hard core cleansing or really gentle.

Sorry I get a bit carried away when I talk about it because it SO MUCH FUN! It's one of the ways I totally geek out about science.

---

Avocado purée and applesauce are both used as butter replacements in baking. It can help lower the calories. So far I'm finding that a mix of the two work best for the moisture I'm going for in my mug cakes.

Haha! I also make my own soap (and I use it instead of shampoo). I have added coffee, milk, sugar, paprika, turmeric, annatto and parsley before. I never would have thought to add avocado. Do you adjust your NaOH for the fat in avocado or is it just bonus superfat?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My parents had an avocado farm before it burned down in a massive wildfire several years ago. I had tons of free avocados for years. I miss those freebies. I can still get them fairly cheaply locally when they are in season, but those homegrown avocados (ripened to perfection ON the tree) were the best...
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    anielamm wrote: »
    I'm on the fence about avocados. I like guacamole and I don't mind them cut up in small chunks in a salad. In both instances, they are flavored by things around them. I am not sure if I would ever just eat them plain as they have minimal flavor and an odd consistency.

I don't know anyone who eats them plain...they're and accompaniment. I do sometimes scoop it right out of the shell, but always with salsa or something.

I eat them as a side dish with just a little salt quite often.

Me too...but that's not plain...and when I do that, it's a side with other foods with other flavors. I guess what I meant was I don't really know anyone who just pulls out an avocado and goes to town on just the avocado...like as a snack on it's own or something. There probably are people who do that, but I don't know any and would think it fairly uncommon.

I eat them plain, usually a half or whole at a time. I love the subtle buttery flavor. I love them just the way they are . . . <3
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I love avocados, but they give me awful stomach cramps and eat a huge chunk out of my calorie budget. :( I eat them against my better judgement sometimes, though. I like to fill the well left by the pit with honey peanut butter, sprinkle it in salt ,and eat both halves.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't want to eat them all by themselves (my husband and toddlers will), but I love them on/in/with other things. I think they help make things creamy and rich. I can eat a salad without dressing if there are avocados on top. They're so great with any kind of Mexican food. And eggs! yum....

Avocados were both of my girls' first food.
  • juanwilly
    juanwilly Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going gross some peeps out but I like my avocados with ketchup. Yum

Or mixed with a good salsa picante and voila...guacamole! What a concept!

• RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think the mild flavor makes a gr
    I guess its just a texture thing for me. Before I tasted one I was expecting some mind blowing flavor. I know they are very nutritious so maybe I will give them another try

I think the mild flavor makes a great base. Season it up, or mix it into something.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going gross some peeps out but I like my avocados with ketchup. Yum

Clearly we need a "gross" button as well as a "woo" button. :smile:

Or the woo button here could just have a third meaning. I mean, why not?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I guess its just a texture thing for me. Before I tasted one I was expecting some mind blowing flavor. I know they are very nutritious so maybe I will give them another try

They have a fairly dull, earthy flavor which is why they make such a good accompaniment to flavor packed Mexican/New Mexican dishes...the intense flavors of these cuisines pair well with earthy undertone flavors like avocado and red chiles.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I'm on the fence about avocados. I like guacamole and I don't mind them cut up in small chunks in a salad. In both instances, they are flavored by things around them. I am not sure if I would ever just eat them plain as they have minimal flavor and an odd consistency.

I don't know anyone who eats them plain...they're and accompaniment. I do sometimes scoop it right out of the shell, but always with salsa or something.

Me too...but that's not plain...and when I do that, it's a side with other foods with other flavors. I guess what I meant was I don't really know anyone who just pulls out an avocado and goes to town on just the avocado...like as a snack on it's own or something. There probably are people who do that, but I don't know any and would think it fairly uncommon.

I eat them plain, usually a half or whole at a time. I love the subtle buttery flavor. I love them just the way they are . . . <3

I love the nutty flavor when I slice one up..
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm in TX - it seems like it's mandatory that one likes avocados given the guacamole everywhere.

I like to take avocado and mix it with the juice of a whole lemon, a healthy pinch of piment d'esplette and another healthy pinch of salt (scorpion pepper infused sea salt if I want it spicy). Much tastier to me than guacamole.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Me too. I use them as slices instead of lunch meat (because I hate lunch meat) for a sandwich situation... and on BLTs? Fantastic! We also always have sliced tomato & avocado with our scrambled eggs for breakfast on the weekends. We even put it on our homemade pizzas (cold obviously). It's easily one of my favorite foods.