Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    This whole argument ties into my belief that there are two kinds of people in the world. Victims and Just-Get-On-With-It types.

We see it all the time on these forums and I know we all see it a hundred times a day IRL too.

The former hangs on to the past (past hurts/past events/past perceived injustices) and the latter looks to the next thing and how they can contribute in a meaningful, helpful way.

You can live in fear or live in faith - pick a side carefully.

Some people truly are victims though and deserve care and therapy to put the pieces of their lives back together. Even if they tried to just get on with it, they'd end up mentally ill through repressing and failing to deal with their past traumas. I think your opinion is too dismissive of trauma and doesn't recognise the impact it can have on a person's physical and mental health.

Everyone has (PAST) trauma.

Would you care to play, "My trauma is worse than your trauma?" I'm pretty sure I could hold my own in that.

My point is that the world goes forward, not backward. It's okay to have moments of sadness and grief and fear, but to then make that your life-view is tragic and a slap in the face to the rest of us who do deal with our pasts and do move on.

A tragic/scary/horrible event does not have to define anyone's life. Sure, they will continue to get triggered every now and then, but to give into those fears gives the PAST power. There is no power in the past. It is an illusion.

Hmmm I honestly don't think you could "hold your own" because it is clear you have zero understanding of trauma and absolutely no empathy for sufferers of PTSD. "Moments of sadness, grief and fear" indeed!

I almost want to see this play out.

I'd even be willing to jump in, because I KNOW I can hold my own.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Frozen bourbon gummy bear ice cubes.

Excellent. :smiley:
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This whole argument ties into my belief that there are two kinds of people in the world. Victims and Just-Get-On-With-It types.

We see it all the time on these forums and I know we all see it a hundred times a day IRL too.

The former hangs on to the past (past hurts/past events/past perceived injustices) and the latter looks to the next thing and how they can contribute in a meaningful, helpful way.

You can live in fear or live in faith - pick a side carefully.

Some people truly are victims though and deserve care and therapy to put the pieces of their lives back together. Even if they tried to just get on with it, they'd end up mentally ill through repressing and failing to deal with their past traumas. I think your opinion is too dismissive of trauma and doesn't recognise the impact it can have on a person's physical and mental health.

Everyone has (PAST) trauma.

Would you care to play, "My trauma is worse than your trauma?" I'm pretty sure I could hold my own in that.

My point is that the world goes forward, not backward. It's okay to have moments of sadness and grief and fear, but to then make that your life-view is tragic and a slap in the face to the rest of us who do deal with our pasts and do move on.

A tragic/scary/horrible event does not have to define anyone's life. Sure, they will continue to get triggered every now and then, but to give into those fears gives the PAST power. There is no power in the past. It is an illusion.

Hmmm I honestly don't think you could "hold your own" because it is clear you have zero understanding of trauma and absolutely no empathy for sufferers of PTSD. "Moments of sadness, grief and fear" indeed!

I am not going to go toe-to-toe with you about my trauma vs anyone else's. I have empathy, but there is a way out. I hope you find it.

Then why make the offer? Did I call you on a bluff? Lol. Poor you. You are too funny.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Report submission on the introduction of Bourbon Bears into bourbon:

After introducing bourbon (Eagle Rare) into a gelulose matrix I tested stated bears at 23 C, -18 C, and -196 C. At room temp the gel matrix is weakened and while delivering a complimentary sweet flavor to the drink it degrades and has a strange texture.

Sample at -18 C came to room temperature quickly and held matrix solidly - delivering a complimentary sweet flavor to the drink and chilling slightly.

Sample at -196 C held temp longer and melted in a fashion similar to a water based structure. By far superior - delivering a very complimentary flavor.

If you have access to liquid nitrogen - this is awesome! I'm freezing gummy bears at my next party and adding these to the drinks.

I like the way you party!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    peppypea wrote: »
    OK, dunno if I will be lost in the shuffle, but I'll post mine:
    Organic is a scam and a waste of money

GMO are safe and verified and there is no need to label them
    o

You might be surprised, but many advocates for GMO labelling weren't asking for it due to safety concerns but for religious reasons. Their religious leaders view genetic modification as playing God and therefore immoral. So they do not want to support what they view to be an immoral industry. This isn't different from requests to label kosher or halal food, so why object to labelling GMOs?

Organic is similarly labelled and desired for by many for moral reasons. Many people buying organic believe in the tenets of organic food production which have higher environmental and animal welfare standards than conventional means. If people are willing to pay extra for eggs produced by free range chickens because free range chickens are happier than barn raised chickens, why not allow that market to exist?

Actually, kosher concerns are one reason that GMO labeling is advocated. All fruits and vegetables in nature are kosher by definition. Insects are not. So, if the fresh tomatoes I buy have been modified by firefly genes, this could be a concern. (The debate is ongoing; some kosher authorities say that it is, some that it isn't. But clearly, without specific labeling, there's no way for the average consumer to be sure whether the produce they're buying raises these issues.)

That would be the same as labelling everything "not kosher" instead of the few things that are "kosher", though.

More like labeling products nut-free or 'this product was produced in a factory that uses nuts, soy, dairy, peanuts, and wheat'. I've seen both. Not sure whether such labeling is mandatory (it could well vary by location), but I think I'm safe in assuming that someone with a food allergy would pay attention to such things and, depending on the severity of their allergy, such labeling might well impact their decision.

So everyone that feels it would boost their sales pointing out that they don't use GMO is free to put that on their label.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    Muscles do not mean fit or healthy at all.

The visceral fat levels, the cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease in of a lot of lifters is really concerning for them, but if you comment on it you're jel?

A clean diet and cardio (20 minutes hard work 3-5 times a week) can supplement your lifting and drive down the cholesterol and visceral fat levels...

You have access to their medical records and serum cholesterol? Or are you making an unsubstantiated assumption.

Queue the lifter to ignore the point of the post... I've highlighted the key words by bolding them up for you...

I don't need their medical records. I see it daily when I measure lifters body composition statistics at the gym. So they're not unsubstantiated either in my experience.

You do serum blood cholesterol testing at your gym?

Also, what about my question or my profile makes you think that I'm a lifter.

Hint: I'm not.

Or accurate body composition measurements down to differentiating subcutaneous and visceral fat for that matter.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

o

You might be surprised, but many advocates for GMO labelling weren't asking for it due to safety concerns but for religious reasons. Their religious leaders view genetic modification as playing God and therefore immoral. So they do not want to support what they view to be an immoral industry. This isn't different from requests to label kosher or halal food, so why object to labelling GMOs?

Organic is similarly labelled and desired for by many for moral reasons. Many people buying organic believe in the tenets of organic food production which have higher environmental and animal welfare standards than conventional means. If people are willing to pay extra for eggs produced by free range chickens because free range chickens are happier than barn raised chickens, why not allow that market to exist?

Actually, kosher concerns are one reason that GMO labeling is advocated. All fruits and vegetables in nature are kosher by definition. Insects are not. So, if the fresh tomatoes I buy have been modified by firefly genes, this could be a concern. (The debate is ongoing; some kosher authorities say that it is, some that it isn't. But clearly, without specific labeling, there's no way for the average consumer to be sure whether the produce they're buying raises these issues.)

That would be the same as labelling everything "not kosher" instead of the few things that are "kosher", though.

More like labeling products nut-free or 'this product was produced in a factory that uses nuts, soy, dairy, peanuts, and wheat'. I've seen both. Not sure whether such labeling is mandatory (it could well vary by location), but I think I'm safe in assuming that someone with a food allergy would pay attention to such things and, depending on the severity of their allergy, such labeling might well impact their decision.

So everyone that feels it would boost their sales pointing out that they don't use GMO is free to put that on their label.

Labeling in the USA is voluntary for GMOs by the FDA BUT if they do label as a GMO or non-GMO, then the FDA can investigate "mislabeling" of food products under the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. So it may boost sales but they have to be able to prove it if they put it on the label on way or another.

https://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/labelingnutrition/ucm059098.htm#A

ETA: bourbon gummy bears is on my to-do list now :lol:

ETA2: Also, I had no idea GMO aversion could be religious linked, I thought it was just weird fear mongering. Thanks to everyone who helped clarify that!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Oh you people are going to hate me.

- Artificial flavors, preservatives, and sweeteners are terrible for you. If your a paleo preacher, you shouldn't defend artificial sweeteners in the same breath.

I've never seen a "paleo preacher" defend artificial flavors.
    - If companies like Nestle, Tyson and McDonald's can make a buck by selling you poison in a box, they will not only do it, but will higher entire universities to figure out the best way to systematically do it, with the highest return. It's also strange how the same people who argue for their right to do so, are the same people that will deny they do so.

If it was poison in a box, people would be dying instead of going back for more.
    - Organic is not the scam, Coca-Cola, fast food, the Corn industry, factory farms, and Monsanto are the scam.

Yes, it's Monsanto's fault that children are starving in Ethiopia, Sudan, and Somalia. And Organic is the solution.
    - The rise in obesity and heart disease is do in part to a systematic approach to profit as much as possible against the cost of your health...

- Last thought, I hear all the time about people "giving up" or "quitting" soda. It's not easy, most experience headaches and feel like crap while trying to quit. Many fail, or have to whim themselves off over time..... Come on! What the *kitten* are they putting are food that grown adults have such a hard time "quitting" something like soda... How in the hell is some poor little boy or girl going to stand a chance against billion dollar industries with a university of chemist behind them.

Caffeine addiction/dependency is a real thing. Just like Heroin, It's possible to quit.
    - These companies also pay food engineers to come on forums like mfp to defend their products.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

You don't really need 8 glasses of water- thirst exists for a reason

Almost no one can follow a fad diet forever- and healthful changes will only last with a change you can sustain for the long haul

That's all I got for now

Science>woo

You might find more and more people are seeing this. Although there are still a lot of propaganda driven "mocumentaries" out there.

Even sarcasm wouldn't make that comment appropriate...

Lol.

@nutmegoreo - they deleted that mean post I was multi-quoting and left part of yours still up - makes it look like I was just quoting you and pepptpea, so I get flagged. heh

I saw that. :laugh: you shouldn't be so mean to me :wink:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

o

The nut-free label is a little different because people with severe nut allergies could *kitten* die if they ate something they did not know had nuts. It's not a matter of preference or personal issues with it.

In regards to the non-GMO label, this is something which manufactures ALREADY DO. Because they believe paying to have the certification through the non-GMO project has a positive ROI based on consumer preference and people buying into that woo.gf4j4lcwcm03.jpg

This discussion has been closed.