Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Rivers2k wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Rivers2k wrote: »
    I finally have a place to say this :)Not all calories are equal. Calories from a hot fudge brownie sundae is going to affect your body differently than equivalent amount of calories from broccoli and a nice piece of steak. one is going to satiate and make you energized the other will leave you hungry and lethargic. The whole world knows this (even if they don't practice it) but you get death threats if you express this on MFP. So that is my "unpopular health/fitness opinion" wow that feels good. LOL

You are confusing calories with food.
    The calories in the sundae and the calories in the steak and broccoli would be exactly the same (assuming proportionate amounts of food to provide an equal number of calories) in that the calories from each would provide the same amount of energy (calories are nothing but a measurement of energy) to fuel the body.
    Thus, either food choice would have the exact same impact on weight loss/gain/maintenance as they would result in an identical energy balance.

The difference between a sundae and a steak lies not in the calories but in the nutritional profile. A sundae will not have as much fiber or micronutrients as the broccoli and not as much protein as the steak. This has nothing to do with calories and nothing to do with weight loss.

If the calorie count between two diets is equal, the weight loss from both diets will be equal (assuming activity levels remain equal as well).
    Saying "all calories are equal" does not mean that all foods are equal or that all foods have similar nutritional profiles or that all foods will leave you equally satiated. It means that 2,000 calories from candy and 2,000 calories from vegetables will have equal impacts on body weight. That is all.

ETA: This reply is not a death threat against you. Simply an explanation for why your statement is incorrect.

I was thinking, when @Rivers2k first posted, was that the sundae would actually fuel my heavy lifting better than the steak. Carbs for energy!

And I was thinking that the sundae would leave me feeling full longer than the steak. Meat and veggies alone don't leave me feeling full for very long (important to note since most of the "not all calories are equal" people tend to forget that "not all people's experiences with satiety are equal").

That is very true, not all people work the same. Carbs give me to much of a rush in to short of a time leaving me feeling depleted. Be careful lumping people because I never once said everyone has the same experience. I could say the same about the CICO crowd and they are very vocal about it.

Also just like not all calories are the same not all Carbs are the same (simple vs complex). I don't see athletes carbo loading with hotfudge they tend to use complex carbs.

But at the end of the day is my unpopular opinion nobody else has to like it.

Re: The bolded.

Nope, no lumping happening there.

:D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm Haribo Gummy Bears and Tootsie Pops kinda guy. Best fuel out there.

Add my vote for Haribo Gummy Bears as well.

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

I keep telling you people... :|

:D:p;)

Oooh, but Haribo Gummy Peaches! Those are soooo good.

I re-rebut:

Bourbon Gummy Bears

g1seidm878kv.png

OMG I love these!!!
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    . . .
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Nachos are also acceptable.

I want them NOW and dinner is three hours away. The cruelty of these boards. :tired_face:
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Bah screw it we are never going to agree about this other stuff so whatever. I want to know where one purchases gummy bears with bourbon included.

Step 1: Buy Gummy Bears (The brand I have is Sugarfina Inc.)

Step 2: Buy 22ga hypodermic syringe

Step 3: Buy Bourbon

Step 4: Load syringe with Bourbon

Step 5: With bevel down and at a minor angle insert the needle into the body of the bear with greatest lateral aspect to ensure the body can support the bolus.

Step 6: Withdraw syringe.

Step 7: Repeat steps 1-6 and eat.

Or you could just soak them for 24 hours
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Bah screw it we are never going to agree about this other stuff so whatever. I want to know where one purchases gummy bears with bourbon included.

Step 5: With bevel down and at a minor angle insert the needle into the body of the bear with greatest lateral aspect to ensure the body can support the bolus.

Doesn't that make them sticky?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »

Doesn't that make them sticky?

There's a thing here (UK) where you throw all kinds of sweets/candy into bottles of vodka to make randomly flavoured vodkas.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    peppypea wrote: »
    OK, dunno if I will be lost in the shuffle, but I'll post mine:
    Organic is a scam and a waste of money

GMO are safe and verified and there is no need to label them

You don't really need 8 glasses of water- thirst exists for a reason

Almost no one can follow a fad diet forever- and healthful changes will only last with a change you can sustain for the long haul

That's all I got for now

Science>woo

You might find more and more people are agreeing with this. Although there are still a lot of propaganda driven "mocumentaries" out there. It muddies the water.

Edited for clarity.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    peppypea wrote: »
    OK, dunno if I will be lost in the shuffle, but I'll post mine:
    Organic is a scam and a waste of money

GMO are safe and verified and there is no need to label them

You don't really need 8 glasses of water- thirst exists for a reason

Almost no one can follow a fad diet forever- and healthful changes will only last with a change you can sustain for the long haul

That's all I got for now

Science>woo

You might find more and more people are seeing this. Although there are still a lot of propaganda driven "mocumentaries" out there.

Even sarcasm wouldn't make that comment appropriate...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

rowntrees fruit gums. /discussion.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

Randomly found those the other day on clearance at an office supplies store (???) and omg. So good.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Randomly found those the other day on clearance at an office supplies store (???) and omg. So good.

FRIENDSIES!!!!

except . . . if i were in the same room with you i would steal your fruit gums. they're cruelly intermittent as far as availability in canada.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

I take your Fruit Gums and raise you Fruit Pastilles. And milk bottles (I think you have to be proper British to know what those are).
This discussion has been closed.