Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    Rivers2k wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I finally have a place to say this :)Not all calories are equal. Calories from a hot fudge brownie sundae is going to affect your body differently than equivalent amount of calories from broccoli and a nice piece of steak. one is going to satiate and make you energized the other will leave you hungry and lethargic. The whole world knows this (even if they don't practice it) but you get death threats if you express this on MFP. So that is my "unpopular health/fitness opinion" wow that feels good. LOL

You are confusing calories with food.
    The calories in the sundae and the calories in the steak and broccoli would be exactly the same (assuming proportionate amounts of food to provide an equal number of calories) in that the calories from each would provide the same amount of energy (calories are nothing but a measurement of energy) to fuel the body.
    Thus, either food choice would have the exact same impact on weight loss/gain/maintenance as they would result in an identical energy balance.

The difference between a sundae and a steak lies not in the calories but in the nutritional profile. A sundae will not have as much fiber or micronutrients as the broccoli and not as much protein as the steak. This has nothing to do with calories and nothing to do with weight loss.

If the calorie count between two diets is equal, the weight loss from both diets will be equal (assuming activity levels remain equal as well).
    Saying "all calories are equal" does not mean that all foods are equal or that all foods have similar nutritional profiles or that all foods will leave you equally satiated. It means that 2,000 calories from candy and 2,000 calories from vegetables will have equal impacts on body weight. That is all.

ETA: This reply is not a death threat against you. Simply an explanation for why your statement is incorrect.

I was thinking, when @Rivers2k first posted, was that the sundae would actually fuel my heavy lifting better than the steak. Carbs for energy!

And I was thinking that the sundae would leave me feeling full longer than the steak. Meat and veggies alone don't leave me feeling full for very long (important to note since most of the "not all calories are equal" people tend to forget that "not all people's experiences with satiety are equal").

That is very true, not all people work the same. Carbs give me to much of a rush in to short of a time leaving me feeling depleted. Be careful lumping people because I never once said everyone has the same experience. I could say the same about the CICO crowd and they are very vocal about it.

Also just like not all calories are the same not all Carbs are the same (simple vs complex). I don't see athletes carbo loading with hotfudge they tend to use complex carbs.

But at the end of the day is my unpopular opinion nobody else has to like it.

I have yet to see an endurance cyclist pulling out 10 pounds of celery from their backpack instead of a pack of gummy bears or those glucose gels.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm Haribo Gummy Bears and Tootsie Pops kinda guy. Best fuel out there.

Add my vote for Haribo Gummy Bears as well.

First off, I don't at all agree with any of the rest of what @Rivers2k is saying. However, you all aren't really talking about carb-loading, are you?

My understanding is that carb-loading specifically refers to attempting to maximize liver glycogen in preparation for the event. That'd be the meals you eat prior, not the Gus or jelly beans you eat during. And for those meals, most of the recommendations I see are complex carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, etc).

Though to be honest, the reason I wouldn't eat a hot fudge sundae the day before a race has nothing to do with the type of carb anyway. Dairy (and a lot of other foods) are dodgy for my intestinal system during a long, hard run. The day before would not be enough time to ensure it wouldn't cause gastrointestinal distress.

Yeah, I was actually referring to pre-lifting energy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

I keep telling you people... :|

:D:p;)
  • quiksylver296
    edited June 2017
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

I rebut:

Nerds Rope

en4o01zf7zow.png

"We are the music makers,: And we are the dreamers of dreams..." - Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Those are nasty. Crunchy and gummy and weird. Nope. Nope. Nope.
  • quiksylver296

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

Oooh, but Haribo Gummy Peaches! Those are soooo good.
  • quiksylver296
    stealthq wrote: »
    I finally have a place to say this :)Not all calories are equal. Calories from a hot fudge brownie sundae is going to affect your body differently than equivalent amount of calories from broccoli and a nice piece of steak. one is going to satiate and make you energized the other will leave you hungry and lethargic. The whole world knows this (even if they don't practice it) but you get death threats if you express this on MFP. So that is my "unpopular health/fitness opinion" wow that feels good. LOL

The calories in the sundae and the calories in the steak and broccoli would be exactly the same (assuming proportionate amounts of food to provide an equal number of calories) in that the calories from each would provide the same amount of energy (calories are nothing but a measurement of energy) to fuel the body.
    Thus, either food choice would have the exact same impact on weight loss/gain/maintenance as they would result in an identical energy balance.

The difference between a sundae and a steak lies not in the calories but in the nutritional profile. A sundae will not have as much fiber or micronutrients as the broccoli and not as much protein as the steak. This has nothing to do with calories and nothing to do with weight loss.

If the calorie count between two diets is equal, the weight loss from both diets will be equal (assuming activity levels remain equal as well).
    Saying "all calories are equal" does not mean that all foods are equal or that all foods have similar nutritional profiles or that all foods will leave you equally satiated. It means that 2,000 calories from candy and 2,000 calories from vegetables will have equal impacts on body weight. That is all.

ETA: This reply is not a death threat against you. Simply an explanation for why your statement is incorrect.

I was thinking, when @Rivers2k first posted, was that the sundae would actually fuel my heavy lifting better than the steak. Carbs for energy!

And I was thinking that the sundae would leave me feeling full longer than the steak. Meat and veggies alone don't leave me feeling full for very long (important to note since most of the "not all calories are equal" people tend to forget that "not all people's experiences with satiety are equal").

That is very true, not all people work the same. Carbs give me to much of a rush in to short of a time leaving me feeling depleted. Be careful lumping people because I never once said everyone has the same experience. I could say the same about the CICO crowd and they are very vocal about it.

Also just like not all calories are the same not all Carbs are the same (simple vs complex). I don't see athletes carbo loading with hotfudge they tend to use complex carbs.

I have yet to see an endurance cyclist pulling out 10 pounds of celery from their backpack instead of a pack of gummy bears or those glucose gels.

First off, I don't at all agree with any of the rest of what @Rivers2k is saying. However, you all aren't really talking about carb-loading, are you?

My understanding is that carb-loading specifically refers to attempting to maximize liver glycogen in preparation for the event. That'd be the meals you eat prior, not the Gus or jelly beans you eat during. And for those meals, most of the recommendations I see are complex carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, etc).

Though to be honest, the reason I wouldn't eat a hot fudge sundae the day before a race has nothing to do with the type of carb anyway. Dairy (and a lot of other foods) are dodgy for my intestinal system during a long, hard run. The day before would not be enough time to ensure it wouldn't cause gastrointestinal distress.

Yeah, I was actually referring to pre-lifting energy.

Me, too. Quick carbs in between lifts kinda thing.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

I rebut:

Nerds Rope

en4o01zf7zow.png

"We are the music makers,: And we are the dreamers of dreams..." - Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Those are nasty. Crunchy and gummy and weird. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Moar diabetes per cubic inch than any comparative candy.

....although I love me to Sour Patch Kids - will eat those until my cheeks start to erode.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

artificial peach flavor makes me gag.
  • quiksylver296

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

artificial peach flavor makes me gag.

You're broken. :D Artificial banana flavor does me.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Skittles are the best!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    edited June 2017
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    ok I'm ready to weigh in on this (hahaha I crack myself up). Here are my unpopular opinions:

1. Weighing daily is unhealthy. (not to say it isn't tempting)
    2. Weight loss should not be your objective. It's a side affect of making healthier choices.
    3. Mental health is just as important as physical health (if not more).
    4. If you lose weight bc you hate yourself, you will still hate yourself at your goal weight and you WILL gain it back.

This sounds like something a therapist would say to someone struggling with an eating disorder.

1 & 2 - nothing wrong with daily weighing. It's just a data point. Same with logging food. It's not an emotional event. Nothing wrong with losing weight as the objective.

3 Agree. Again, losing weight is a physical event. It doesn't have to be emotional - even though I know it becomes so when people find out they use food as a coping tool.

4 That's questionable.. :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

sorry, but you are confusing calories and nutrition.

All calories provide the same unit of energy, but they do not have the same nutritional profile. So in your example the energy in the Sunday and broccoli is the same, but the nutritional profiles are different.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    ok I'm ready to weigh in on this (hahaha I crack myself up). Here are my unpopular opinions:

2. Weight loss should not be your objective. It's a side affect of making healthier choices.
    4. If you lose weight bc you hate yourself, you will still hate yourself at your goal weight and you WILL gain it back.

Sometimes, losing weight (in and of itself) is the best thing a person can do for their health.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

@Rivers2k Did you truly get death threats on this board for expressing that? That's something I'd take very seriously. Deets?

No I was exaggerating. I don't post often I mostly lurk and now I know I have to be so careful of what and how I say things. I was saying the CICO people are very passionate about saying there is no difference in calories so eat what ever you want.

As part of the CICO crowd I can say that there is no difference in calories for weight loss only. For general health, hunger, satiety, energy levels, etc. different foods in different combinations will have different effects. But CICO is only meant to be applied for weight loss. And as part of the CICO crowd, I'm not fond of the suggestion, even in jest, that we're handing out death threats. Posts like that, imo, are why so many people here read the advice they get as hostile, angry, or bullying.

Many times it does come across as bullying. case in point I made a light hearted post about calories and people felt the need to defend the almighty Carb. Trust me when I say I don't really care, my feelings aren't hurt. I am sure you are all really great people and I truly mean that. but if a bunch of people jump on someone with a different opinion then it comes accross as bullying. I am not saying this time it was like that but I do see it on here allot. one of the many reasons I dont post much.

People need to understand what the person is trying to say instead of picking apart every word.

Pointing out the inaccuracies of your statement is not bullying. Not even close.
    And we understand your point. Your point is that CICO proponents claim that nutrition doesn't matter and you can eat all the junk food with no consequences so long as you count the calories.
    Your claim is false.

YES! exactly what I was saying! It might be false but that is the way it comes across I don't see anyone trying to clarify it. Someone made a post here about breakfast wraps she described some symptoms I have with carbs. I suggested leaving out the wrap and people jumped all over me chanting carbs for energy! I was just making a suggestion. That was one of my last posts.

People need to take the intent of message and not pick apart every word. I even agreed with your first post.

I know the difference between calories and nutrition
    I know carbs play apart in fueling your body (and how this went from calories to carbs I don't know)
    I am not a low carb person
    I just think that people can get out of hand with CICO. I may be wrong that is just what I see. And wow I try to point out the error in what is bolded above heaven help me.

please find me this person that is advocating a nutrient deficient diet and that it is ok to eat cookies all day as long as you are in a deficit..

*I have been asking this question for over two years now, and no one has ever been able to answer it...
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,729 Member

What about...wine? (and cheese, oysters, steak, sausage...)
    http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/runners-high-running-the-bordeaux-marathon
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member

Sometimes, losing weight (in and of itself) is the best thing a person can do for their health.

not if they're going to immediately gain it back because they didn't deal with their relationship with food and the emotional baggage that may have caused them to gain the weight.
This discussion has been closed.