Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'd love to see how cavalier the "life ain't fair" attitudes displayed in this thread would be to this whole workplace ish if we had a matriarchal society that deferred to women and the gender norms were reversed.

Well, you see, the problem isn't the things the mansplainers are doing, the problem is that we are calling the things they are doing "mansplaining".

The problem is you're pretending those things are being done because you're a woman.

They happen to men just as often.

I have a friend who has transitioned from woman to man. He says that there is considerable difference in the way people treat him now. He is immediately afforded more respect in many different aspects of his life. Perhaps your lack of understanding stems from lack of experience.

hmm I find this interesting.

I am ex military and I was the 8th woman in my trade in the military in the country (same country as the parts technician) and I actually didn't run into much mansplaining...

I don't now either...

As for your friend yes he probably is...but then there are parts where he is afforded less.

For example as a woman I am a soft place for my child to run to and hug when they are hurt etc not the dad...just saying...

I sometimes think because some people "anticipate" things they see it where it might not be....I have often said you look hard enough and you will find an issue....

I'm not talking about mansplaining (a term I actually haven't used, until this post, and never in real life), the point was more regarding this assertion that men are treated no different from women. Which I disagree with. I think that both men and women are guilty of it, which is why I don't necessarily agree with the term mansplaining. I do find some of this conversation challenging to read through though because it has been very dismissive (I'm not referring to your post).

I agree wholeheartedly with the statement in bold.
    Absolutely, some men are dismissive of women's input/ideas/advice/etc. but I've absolutely experienced it from women toward myself as a man, as well (I've also been disregarded due to being single before I was married and also because I don't have children, both in cases where my status had nothing to do with the situation).
    The term "mansplaining" insinuates two things:
    1) Only men do it and 2) all men do it because they are men.
    These insinuations are just as sexist as the affronts being offered up in this thread.

ETA, I've also witnessed women being dismissive of other women so it's safe to say that the biases/expectations set upon us by our culture/society are not limited to interactions between opposing sexes (it's not a man thing to expect the mechanic to be a man).

Exactly! You get me, Oreo-man :bigsmile:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Rivers2k wrote: »
    People say eat what ever you want as long as you count that calories it doesn't matter what it is.

This is a huge strawman. Link to a thread where this is what is said. Not your interpretation of what was said, but the actual text of a post where someone is advocating this.

And a calorie is a calorie regardless of what food is being eaten. Calories and nutrition are 2 different concepts and it does no good to try to make them about the same thing.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I finally have a place to say this :)Not all calories are equal. Calories from a hot fudge brownie sundae is going to affect your body differently than equivalent amount of calories from broccoli and a nice piece of steak. one is going to satiate and make you energized the other will leave you hungry and lethargic. The whole world knows this (even if they don't practice it) but you get death threats if you express this on MFP. So that is my "unpopular health/fitness opinion" wow that feels good. LOL

You are confusing calories with food.
    The calories in the sundae and the calories in the steak and broccoli would be exactly the same (assuming proportionate amounts of food to provide an equal number of calories) in that the calories from each would provide the same amount of energy (calories are nothing but a measurement of energy) to fuel the body.
    Thus, either food choice would have the exact same impact on weight loss/gain/maintenance as they would result in an identical energy balance.

The difference between a sundae and a steak lies not in the calories but in the nutritional profile. A sundae will not have as much fiber or micronutrients as the broccoli and not as much protein as the steak. This has nothing to do with calories and nothing to do with weight loss.

If the calorie count between two diets is equal, the weight loss from both diets will be equal (assuming activity levels remain equal as well).
    Saying "all calories are equal" does not mean that all foods are equal or that all foods have similar nutritional profiles or that all foods will leave you equally satiated. It means that 2,000 calories from candy and 2,000 calories from vegetables will have equal impacts on body weight. That is all.

ETA: This reply is not a death threat against you. Simply an explanation for why your statement is incorrect.

I was thinking, when @Rivers2k first posted, was that the sundae would actually fuel my heavy lifting better than the steak. Carbs for energy!

And I was thinking that the sundae would leave me feeling full longer than the steak. Meat and veggies alone don't leave me feeling full for very long (important to note since most of the "not all calories are equal" people tend to forget that "not all people's experiences with satiety are equal").

That is very true, not all people work the same. Carbs give me to much of a rush in to short of a time leaving me feeling depleted. Be careful lumping people because I never once said everyone has the same experience. I could say the same about the CICO crowd and they are very vocal about it.

Also just like not all calories are the same not all Carbs are the same (simple vs complex). I don't see athletes carbo loading with hotfudge they tend to use complex carbs.

But at the end of the day is my unpopular opinion nobody else has to like it.

LOL. Sour patch kids, not hot fudge. Less messy. ;)

I'll have to try that instead of the Annie's Bunnies Gummies I've been using.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I'd actually argue there's an over-emphasis on eating clean and all veg and lean meat etc. That's an insurmountable and miserable sounding life for a lot of people. You see it all the time when people talk about dieting and all the salads they have to eat or memes about eating bacon or being skinny.

So actually, being told you don't have to live on steamed fish and broccoli for the rest of your days is MORE helpful than being told to eat your veg.

I don't know how unpopular it actually is, but I tend to be very quiet about encouraging patients on chemo to eat whatever the hell makes them feel good. Yes, getting the right nutrition is important, but priority #1 is being able to make it through the chemo. If that healthy lentil soup turns your stomach and you want a Twinkie, eat the damn Twinkie. Eat things (and, by extension, DO things) that make you look forward to getting better.

This hits a very personal note. My aunt basically died of malnutrition/starvation while being treated for cancer because they couldn't get her to eat. If a milkshake is going to provide some calories/nutrients/energy, it's better than nothing. I also believe medical marijuana could have helped her in this circumstance.

I do consulting work with Cancer Treatment Centers of America and there's a long list of foods to help stimulate appetite and easy on the stomach:

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/patient-education/eatinghints.pdf

KFC mashed potatoes/gravy are a very popular option. Basically this list packs on butter, gravy, calorie dense foods and additives to load you up on calories. Quite frankly my advice is to do whatever it takes while sick - worry about "eating healthy" when you're healthy.

Never a great option, but IV nutritional therapy is always there.

I wasn't in the same state while she was going through treatment, but my understanding is that she was trying to "eat clean" and not put any additives, etc, in her body. Kinda typical woo like we hear here.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I finally have a place to say this :)Not all calories are equal. Calories from a hot fudge brownie sundae is going to affect your body differently than equivalent amount of calories from broccoli and a nice piece of steak.

Calories is often misused to mean food, but that's not what it means. It's a unit of measurement for energy.

OBVIOUSLY (and it's not an unpopular opinion, everyone agrees), a sundae is different in many ways from a steak or from broccoli. They have different macros, different calories per volume and serving, are not identically satiating (although that differs person to person), have different micros, may trigger a specific person to eat more, may be tasty or not for a person, so on and so on.

NONE of this means, however, that the calories are not equal, as a calorie is just energy, a specific unit thereof.

There's not really such a thing as a "calorie of hot fudge sundae" or a "steak calorie." The steak and the broccoli and the sundae provide your body with a bunch of things, that your body breaks down, including calories. Your body cannot tell that a particular calorie is from a particular food.

I think -- and this may or may not be an unpopular opinion, again -- that most people who claim that not all calories are equal are confusing "calorie" with "food" or using it as a metaphor for food without realizing it's just a metaphor.

I also think that most people who complain that their view that foods are different are unpopular are misreading what other people say, and I am always confused about how they manage to do this after all the many, many explanations. I think it's just that they cannot get their head around the fact that calorie means something other than "unit of a specific food" and indeed, that using calorie to mean food is an imprecise, metaphorical usage and not a particularly helpful one.

You also shouldn't assert something hyperbolic like getting death threats when that's not at all true, it's defamatory and harms discussion. (In the off chance I'm wrong here, you should alert MFP, as someone is mentally screwed up and it has nothing to do with views on nutrition.)

I am aware of what a calorie is. Just saying 100 calories of hot fudge is going to have a different affect on someone from 100 calories of steak. But the CICO crowd says nope its all the same. At least for me it will have a very differn't affect. I didn't realize I was going to have to be so specific. I am sorry I didn't elaborate more.

Also the death threat thing is obviously an exaggeration. I was just saying how passionate about it people can be. Some do get nasty about it. Not to me because I really don't post much but from what I read. As far as this topic goes I hope I am not comping across as overly passionate I really don't care one way or another.

• Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I finally have a place to say this :)Not all calories are equal. Calories from a hot fudge brownie sundae is going to affect your body differently than equivalent amount of calories from broccoli and a nice piece of steak. one is going to satiate and make you energized the other will leave you hungry and lethargic. The whole world knows this (even if they don't practice it) but you get death threats if you express this on MFP. So that is my "unpopular health/fitness opinion" wow that feels good. LOL

@Rivers2k Did you truly get death threats on this board for expressing that? That's something I'd take very seriously. Deets?

No I was exaggerating. I don't post often I mostly lurk and now I know I have to be so careful of what and how I say things. I was saying the CICO people are very passionate about saying there is no difference in calories so eat what ever you want.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

@Rivers2k Did you truly get death threats on this board for expressing that? That's something I'd take very seriously. Deets?

No I was exaggerating. I don't post often I mostly lurk and now I know I have to be so careful of what and how I say things. I was saying the CICO people are very passionate about saying there is no difference in calories so eat what ever you want.

And you were completely taking them out of context.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm Haribo Gummy Bears and Tootsie Pops kinda guy. Best fuel out there.

Add my vote for Haribo Gummy Bears as well.
This discussion has been closed.