Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I'd actually argue there's an over-emphasis on eating clean and all veg and lean meat etc. That's an insurmountable and miserable sounding life for a lot of people. You see it all the time when people talk about dieting and all the salads they have to eat or memes about eating bacon or being skinny.

So actually, being told you don't have to live on steamed fish and broccoli for the rest of your days is MORE helpful than being told to eat your veg.

I don't know how unpopular it actually is, but I tend to be very quiet about encouraging patients on chemo to eat whatever the hell makes them feel good. Yes, getting the right nutrition is important, but priority #1 is being able to make it through the chemo. If that healthy lentil soup turns your stomach and you want a Twinkie, eat the damn Twinkie. Eat things (and, by extension, DO things) that make you look forward to getting better.

Lol this was the point of the pregnant women earlier upthread... As the MFP turns.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    This whole argument ties into my belief that there are two kinds of people in the world. Victims and Just-Get-On-With-It types.

eh, i'm a qa analyst by profession, so i see two types of people as well: those who identify things so that they can be fixed, and those who think 'doesn't happen on my machine' proves something doesn't exist.

Talk about taking things out of context.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    This whole argument ties into my belief that there are two kinds of people in the world. Victims and Just-Get-On-With-It types.

eh, i'm a qa analyst by profession, so i see two types of people as well: those who identify things so that they can be fixed, and those who think 'doesn't happen on my machine' proves something doesn't exist.

You're ignoring a type of person.

The "it annoys me so it's not working as intended"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    thickspo91 wrote: »
    Counting calories isn't sustainable and can lead to ED

Lol no ...
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options

You're ignoring a type of person.

The "it annoys me so it's not working as intended"

Or those who didn't expect that someone would intentionally design it to be annoying.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    thickspo91 wrote: »
    Counting calories isn't sustainable and can lead to ED

It is sustainable but yes for some is could lead to an eating disorder....but I believe that if it does than they would have formed that ED anyway.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    stormcrow2 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tapwaters wrote: »
    tapwaters wrote: »
    I think the whole "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" tripe is total *kitten*. Yea, you'll lose weight, but you'll still be fatty on the inside and not healthy.

Like, literally fatty on the inside? How does that work?

Not literally :P

I guess I don't understand how someone who understands how much energy their body needs and consistently consumes that amount of energy is still a fatty on the inside. I became fat because I disregarded how much energy my body needed. Adjusting that changed the situation. But you're arguing that if I don't meet certain nutritional standards (as determined by you), I might still be considered fat?

sounds like he is making the mythical connection that anyone who says it is OK to eat within your calories and you will still lose weight, is advocating for a diet of 100% oreos, or something...

I want this mythical 100% Oreo diet.

Here's a menu!

14 Oreos (one packet) for breakfast

14 Oreos (one packet) for lunch

14 Oreos (one packet) for dinner

Total: 2226 calories

Nutritional information

Fat: 992.4g
    of which saturates: 46.2g

Carbohydrate: 319.2g
    of which sugars: 172.2g

Fibre: 12.6g

Protein 21g

Salt: 4.2g

Haha just have to ask, not to say this was ever recommended or ever happened, so both sides are equally an educated guess; but do you think this would result in equal FAT loss if compared to a balanced and more nutrient dense diet with less sugar, more protein and less fat, but with the exact same calorie intake? How about weight loss?

Fat loss, specifically? No, because a diet higher in protein would (assuming a progressive lifting routine) prevent muscle loss, resulting in a greater proportion of weight loss to be from fat.
    Weight loss in general? Yes. Weight loss/gain/maintenance is determined solely by energy balance (science).
    More/less sugar and more/less fat have no bearing on whether there would be a difference in weight OR fat loss from one diet to another.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Rivers2k wrote: »
    I finally have a place to say this :)Not all calories are equal. Calories from a hot fudge brownie sundae is going to affect your body differently than equivalent amount of calories from broccoli and a nice piece of steak. one is going to satiate and make you energized the other will leave you hungry and lethargic. The whole world knows this (even if they don't practice it) but you get death threats if you express this on MFP. So that is my "unpopular health/fitness opinion" wow that feels good. LOL

@Rivers2k Did you truly get death threats on this board for expressing that? That's something I'd take very seriously. Deets?
This discussion has been closed.