Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

You do realize that many grains don't contain gluten?

I have celiac disease, but plenty of grains and I are very good friends.

Sorghum is amazing stuff. I've been experimenting fermenting old recipes using sorghum as a base. Has a very earthy sweet flavor to it.

When I was still trying to do gluten free baking, sorghum was one of my favorite flours. Very, very tasty.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I think pregnant women should do whatever it takes to have a healthy baby and maintain their sanity. Making a human ain't a walk in the park.

Hahahahaha. ... you used the words "women" and "sanity" together in the same sentence.

That is pure comedy gold right there, it damn sure is.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    amount of weight recommended by an actual OBGYN
    Yeah? You choose to listen to a single OBGYN over the entire CDC, huh?
    Interesting. Yet one more enlightening point.
    We call that "confirmation bias."

I wonder what kind of shape they were in but that is a different discussion as well.

I'm done. That just proved my point.

I was a BMI of 22. I put on 38 lbs with both kids. My OBGYN said that I was perfect. I am once again a BMI of 22.

Thank you for inquiring about my children, because I enjoy telling people how delightful they are. My children were and are relentlessly healthy, thin, glossy-haired, bright eyed, and active, with lovely, powerful athletic builds. They are exceedingly intelligent, likely due at least in small part to my impeccable diet and adherence to high-quality vitamin and Omega 3 protocols. They also love music, sing four-part harmony with their respective choirs, and are learning to play the guitar, in addition to their many athletic endeavors. They have not yet been introduced to Kid Rock this side of the birth process, but have large passages of the Lutheran hymnal memorized. I will now forcibly restrain myself from further bragging about them (oh, they are also beeeeyooootiful!)

Regarding the quality of my OBGYN, she served her residency in a noted university hospital, is accomplished, skilled, and highly regarded in our medical community. She is also exceedingly intelligent, and I think has enough critical thinking ability not to get her knickers in a twist when a patient is 3 lbs above the CDC limit. In short, she is a consummate professional. I am guessing that she would have been able to tell I was pregnant, even if for some reason I didn't notice obvious signs of change, like a sudden proclivity for chugging large amounts of milk.

I believe my husband is highly satisfied with beautiful, healthy children; a low-maintenance, responsible and happily pregnant wife; and the high quality of medical care for the family under his watch.

...and pray tell what exactly are you waiting for?

It is extremely difficult. However, we are starting them off with a solid grounding of Cash/Hag/Waylon/George, the Stones, Sugar Hill Gang, general funk, general blues, and selected Beastie Boys. B)

Totally redeemed yourself. I approve of this plan.

...assuming the Grandmaster of Funk - George Clinton and the P Funk is on the curriculum?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    The argument of "meant to" is a weird one. Humans are known for their adaptability. What was that thing that the men adapted to on the Lewis & Clark expedition? Camas root? The first time the ate it they were sick, but with it being the only food source available, they adapted to it (or something like that).

What we are "meant to" do, if anything, is adapt to foods in our environment. It seems very odd to me, if you're going to ascribe to a philosophy of being "meant to" eat certain things, that you'd be plopped into an environment with certain foods not being meant to eat them. Or to better state the reality, given the ability to travel from one environment to another, and having a system which is hardwired to only survive in one's native region.

It just doesn't make sense.

"Meant to do" is inherently a religious argument, as it implies that there is something or someone who imposes meaning.

Yes, exactly.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I think pregnant women should do whatever it takes to have a healthy baby and maintain their sanity. Making a human ain't a walk in the park.

Hahahahaha. ... you used the words "women" and "sanity" together in the same sentence.

That is pure comedy gold right there, it damn sure is.

Right. Because every woman is the same. :noway:

Oh wait... what am I doing here? I again should be in the kitchen. Sorry!

Lighten up, baby; I was clowning.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't know if the recommendations have changed, but when i had my kids in the early 90's, my doctor advised me that 10-11kgs (22-24lbs) is around the norm for weight gain during pregnancy. I put on 55lbs with my first who weighed only 6lb 8oz, i ate way too much during that pregnancy and was most definitely a piggy! I ate normally with my second kid who weighed nearly 9lb and put on 20-22lbs.

ETA: My daughter the 6 pounder is a shortass 5"2, and my son, the 9 pounder is a 6' tall athletic machine. SO, this tells me the amount of weight gained during pregnancy doesn't have any effect on how they turn out. I was definitely not malnourished during my first pregnancy..
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    The argument of "meant to" is a weird one. Humans are known for their adaptability. What was that thing that the men adapted to on the Lewis & Clark expedition? Camas root? The first time the ate it they were sick, but with it being the only food source available, they adapted to it (or something like that).

What we are "meant to" do, if anything, is adapt to foods in our environment. It seems very odd to me, if you're going to ascribe to a philosophy of being "meant to" eat certain things, that you'd be plopped into an environment with certain foods not being meant to eat them. Or to better state the reality, given the ability to travel from one environment to another, and having a system which is hardwired to only survive in one's native region.

Not to speak of the fact that absolutely nothing we eat today is the way it was originally in nature, so nothing available is the way it would have been "meant to" be.

It's still possible to find those foods. It just takes a lot of time, money and effort and most people don't have the means to do so.

Begs the question : how to provide affordable and nutritious food to the masses?

(I don't have the answers)
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Not to speak of the fact that absolutely nothing we eat today is the way it was originally in nature, so nothing available is the way it would have been "meant to" be.

It's still possible to find those foods. It just takes a lot of time, money and effort and most people don't have the means to do so.

Begs the question : how to provide affordable and nutritious food to the masses?

(I don't have the answers)

Give them a ride to the grocery store?

I reckon they can ride on my handlebars down to the farmer's market. ...
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Wait, are women who have had actual pregnancies, some multiples, being mansplained about pregnancy?!

That is indeed the situation.

Fortunately there are men, like my husband, who tolerate their wives putting on the amount of weight recommended by an actual OBGYN for the trade off of knowing their music-loving little tyke had enough energy to quicken at the thunderous rumble of a cathedral-quality pipe organ ("A Mighty Fortress Is Our God") and to rock out at a Kid Rock concert (in Detroit...it doesn't get any better than flames, strippers, fur coats, and some assertive head banging going on in one's belly).

Wait, there were strippers with fur coats in your belly?? I think that's far more concerning than how much weight you did or didn't gain (and possibly also an explanation...).

NO!!! It was Kid Rock, with a fur coat, in my belly! The strippers were next to nekkid. :D

(I did spend a certain amount of time inspecting that Oxford comma, wondering if that would do the trick....apparently the answer is NO. Ha ha!)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Wait, are women who have had actual pregnancies, some multiples, being mansplained about pregnancy?!

That is indeed the situation.

Fortunately there are men, like my husband, who tolerate their wives putting on the amount of weight recommended by an actual OBGYN for the trade off of knowing their music-loving little tyke had enough energy to quicken at the thunderous rumble of a cathedral-quality pipe organ ("A Mighty Fortress Is Our God") and to rock out at a Kid Rock concert (in Detroit...it doesn't get any better than flames, strippers, fur coats, and some assertive head banging going on in one's belly).

Wait, there were strippers with fur coats in your belly?? I think that's far more concerning than how much weight you did or didn't gain (and possibly also an explanation...).

NO!!! It was Kid Rock, with a fur coat, in my belly! The strippers were next to nekkid. :D

(I did spend a certain amount of time inspecting that Oxford comma, wondering if that would do the trick....apparently the answer is NO. Ha ha!)

Nah, I totally got the Oxford comma, I just chose to ignore it on this occasion for the sake of LOLs ;)

That's very considerate of you to supply your child with a fur coat whilst in utero though. No wonder they are turning out so well!
This discussion has been closed.