Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I find it somewhat amazing that a guy that had no idea his wife was pregnant until she gave birth thinks he's qualified to argue with women (some of whom have given birth) regarding pregnancy.

This has me a bit gobsmacked as well. I'm getting the impression that there might be a weird sense of proprietary pride in his wife not having gained any weight during her pregnancy (instead of becoming - what was it? Oh, yeah a "piggy") going on here and that that is something that's healthy/desirable/to be strived for in a pregnant wife?

tl;dr: fatshaming in a humble brag disguise

PS: If it matters, I've given birth. I gained weight. I had a healthy daughter. I lost weight. Happy end of story. :)

Yes this is what it smells like to me too.

Related, I don't know if my opinion is popular or unpopular but I do know my OB is of the same opinion: That women who claim to not know they were pregnant until they went into labor are full of baloney.

How could these women not feel their babies kicking and moving around inside them?? There were many times during my pregnancies where my bare stomach looked like there was an alien in there trying to escape!

I'm wondering about this too! I just cannot imagine. Maybe their babies aren't as active in utero?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I find it somewhat amazing that a guy that had no idea his wife was pregnant until she gave birth thinks he's qualified to argue with women (some of whom have given birth) regarding pregnancy.

This has me a bit gobsmacked as well. I'm getting the impression that there might be a weird sense of proprietary pride in his wife not having gained any weight during her pregnancy (instead of becoming - what was it? Oh, yeah a "piggy") going on here and that that is something that's healthy/desirable/to be strived for in a pregnant wife?

PS: If it matters, I've given birth. I gained weight. I had a healthy daughter. I lost weight. Happy end of story. :)

Related, I don't know if my opinion is popular or unpopular but I do know my OB is of the same opinion: That women who claim to not know they were pregnant until they went into labor are full of baloney.

How could these women not feel their babies kicking and moving around inside them?? There were many times during my pregnancies where my bare stomach looked like there was an alien in there trying to escape!

I'm wondering about this too! I just cannot imagine. Maybe their babies aren't as active in utero?

Laid back and chilled bubs you say :sunglasses:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The argument of "meant to" is a weird one. Humans are known for their adaptability. What was that thing that the men adapted to on the Lewis & Clark expedition? Camas root? The first time the ate it they were sick, but with it being the only food source available, they adapted to it (or something like that).

What we are "meant to" do, if anything, is adapt to foods in our environment. It seems very odd to me, if you're going to ascribe to a philosophy of being "meant to" eat certain things, that you'd be plopped into an environment with certain foods not being meant to eat them. Or to better state the reality, given the ability to travel from one environment to another, and having a system which is hardwired to only survive in one's native region.

It just doesn't make sense.

Not to speak of the fact that absolutely nothing we eat today is the way it was originally in nature, so nothing available is the way it would have been "meant to" be.

It's still possible to find those foods. It just takes a lot of time, money and effort and most people don't have the means to do so.

Begs the question : how to provide affordable and nutritious food to the masses?

(I don't have the answers)

Give them a ride to the grocery store?

I reckon they can ride on my handlebars down to the farmer's market. ...

Well that's one less person without access to affordable and nutritious food, then. B)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

A friend of a friend gave birth part way through a round the world trip as she had no idea she was pregnant. She was quite overweight, suffered pcos, had always had very irregular periods, suffered digestive problems (all things that masked her pregnancy)... They were not prepared for a baby whatsoever!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Regarding women and pregnancy weight gain, I think it's fair to say this. There are a lot of women out there who gain a lot more than what they really need to. Regardless of whatever amount of weight that is, there are a lot of women who gain excessively.

I gained a lot more than i needed to. I used the excuse of eating for two, It was a blissful 9mths of eating whatever i wanted, whenever i wanted. I do not know where the raging appetite and severe cravings came from, as i was thin and definitely no where near overweight before i got pregnant, my appetite went back down to normal after she was born. My appetite was normal and i had no cravings with my 2nd baby, and therefore put on an acceptable amount of weight.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

You do realize that many grains don't contain gluten?

I have celiac disease, but plenty of grains and I are very good friends.

Yes I do, I meant gluten. I eat rice and oats and feel just fine.
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    I am not religious. When I said "meant to" think of it as "made for" as in humans just aren't able to digest it properly... not as in some magical being in the sky said we shouldn't.
    And yes I know not all grains contain gluten, that was an error, I even specifically said gluten in my first post.
    There are many people who can eat gluten and dairy and feel fine but that doesn't mean that it is all that healthy for you. In fact 3/4 people are lactose intolerant and many without knowing. Most just aren't born with the enzymes to properly digest these foods. I didn't even know that I was intolerant until I cut them out of my diet for a short time and was then unable eat them again without side affects. However, when looking back, it explains a lot of unexplained abdominal pain that I had before I knew what it was.
    Also, just because I believe that we aren't made to eat these foods doesn't I don't think anyone should eat them... I still occasionally do because they are hard to resist. I was just stating that I don't think humans digest these foods well.
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

Humans are not meant to travel in space and we still do...

And that is that same how...???
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My unpopular opinions about health / fitness is about caloric restriction for life (CRON)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    My unpopular opinions about health / fitness is about caloric restriction for life (CRON)

OK. What's the opinion?
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

OK. What's the opinion?

... a benefit for the health and longevity. and while being there skinnier is sexier :)

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

OK. What's the opinion?

... a benefit for the health and longevity. and while being there skinnier is sexier :)

I don't understand, I'm probably missing something.
This discussion has been closed.