Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

Humans are not meant to travel in space and we still do...

And that is that same how...???

If we were not meant to do it than we should not, right?

I never said that people are wrong for eating it. I really don't care who eats what but this is an opinion board and I was adding mine... that humans aren't made for digesting gluten and dairy.

The reason you are getting pushback is the term "made to" or "meant" -- which, whether you intended it as such or not is a religious statement implying that humans were made with a purpose. (I actually am religious, but think one should be careful about making statements like that outside of a religious context and that mix what we can determine with science and beliefs about purpose or teleology or whatever.)

Beyond that, it's not so much an opinion as a statement of belief about something that either is or is not factual: humans have trouble digesting gluten/dairy. That's simply not true as a generalized statement, as people have pointed out. Some have trouble with one or both of those things, and bummer for them, IMO.

Honestly, I tend to agree with the idea that grown up people should eat grownup food. Which means that for dairy, cheeses, yoghurts, kefirs are more appropriate for adults than milk. But I tend to phrase it as a preference, rather than as a rule.

I don't think that idea was expressed. The person saying humans are not meant to consume dairy presumably meant all dairy. (My own unpopular idea on the foods you mentioned is that to some extent kefir is popular because it's trendy and people think it's some superfood, which makes me kind of irrationally dislike it. Also, I don't like drinking calories, of course.)

Your opinion on milk specifically being kid's food I would treat as an unpopular opinion (vs. a mistake of fact like the poster in question was making), and weirdly enough it's one I grew up with and largely live by, although I think it's silly if subjected to any analysis. In my house growing up the kids drank milk, the adults drank water (well, for normal meals). I stopped drinking milk by the time I went to college, and in my 20s weaned myself out of putting milk in coffee (I never put sugar in coffee -- I think sweet coffee is just weird, that's another one of my unpopular opinions) based on the idea that it was more adult to drink coffee black. (The latte/cappuccino craze didn't really affect that, although I did drink coffee with milk in it in various forms when traveling in Europe subsequently.)

BUT, I'm capable of understanding that this is just my own cultural baggage and not that a glass of milk or some milk in oats (something I might do if I have milk around, I just normally do not) is actually only for kids.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

I never said that people are wrong for eating it. I really don't care who eats what but this is an opinion board and I was adding mine... that humans aren't made for digesting gluten and dairy.

The reason you are getting pushback is the term "made to" or "meant" -- which, whether you intended it as such or not is a religious statement implying that humans were made with a purpose. (I actually am religious, but think one should be careful about making statements like that outside of a religious context and that mix what we can determine with science and beliefs about purpose or teleology or whatever.)

Beyond that, it's not so much an opinion as a statement of belief about something that either is or is not factual: humans have trouble digesting gluten/dairy. That's simply not true as a generalized statement, as people have pointed out. Some have trouble with one or both of those things, and bummer for them, IMO.

Honestly, I tend to agree with the idea that grown up people should eat grownup food. Which means that for dairy, cheeses, yoghurts, kefirs are more appropriate for adults than milk. But I tend to phrase it as a preference, rather than as a rule.

I don't think that idea was expressed. The person saying humans are not meant to consume dairy presumably meant all dairy. (My own unpopular idea on the foods you mentioned is that to some extent kefir is popular because it's trendy and people think it's some superfood, which makes me kind of irrationally dislike it. Also, I don't like drinking calories, of course.)

Your opinion on milk specifically being kid's food I would treat as an unpopular opinion (vs. a mistake of fact like the poster in question was making), and weirdly enough it's one I grew up with and largely live by, although I think it's silly if subjected to any analysis. In my house growing up the kids drank milk, the adults drank water (well, for normal meals). I stopped drinking milk by the time I went to college, and in my 20s weaned myself out of putting milk in coffee (I never put sugar in coffee -- I think sweet coffee is just weird, that's another one of my unpopular opinions) based on the idea that it was more adult to drink coffee black. (The latte/cappuccino craze didn't really affect that, although I did drink coffee with milk in it in various forms when traveling in Europe subsequently.)

BUT, I'm capable of understanding that this is just my own cultural baggage and not that a glass of milk or some milk in oats (something I might do if I have milk around, I just normally do not) is actually only for kids.

To clarify, my opinion position has nothing to do with milk in farina or grits or oats, but purely drinking by the glass. Which for the record I've always thought was gross... and I could never have milk in "regular" cereal. Just grape nuts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I

To clarify, my opinion position has nothing to do with milk in farina or grits or oats, but purely drinking by the glass. Which for the record I've always thought was gross... and I could never have milk in "regular" cereal. Just grape nuts.

Well, my unpopular opinion is that all cold cereal is awful and I don't understand why people would choose to eat it, let alone when calories are valuable. ;-)

We all have our weird taste things.

I think drinking milk is tasty enough, but just don't like drinking calories. I did think it was a kid's thing when I was 17 or so, though.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I

I never said that people are wrong for eating it. I really don't care who eats what but this is an opinion board and I was adding mine... that humans aren't made for digesting gluten and dairy. If you do eat it that's your choice and that's fine. I eat it sometimes as well. But gluten is an inflammatory food so if you are sick of having aches and pains that don't seem to have an explanation, you might try cutting out gluten. And if you have issues with acne, bloating, and other hormonal issues, you might try cutting out dairy.
    I am not a scientist, just a girl with an opinion... that's what this page is for right? OPINIONS? didn't realize that mine was so personally offensive -_-

The idea that we were made, or created, to do or not do anything in particular and that we should avoid doing that which we were not made to do is inherently a religious argument.

If you scroll up you'll see I already addressed this. Not religious. Just science. Our digestive systems just don't process the food well. And I feel like you haven't read anything I said considering that in my last post I said that there is no wrong in people eating it. I don't have a moral issue with gluten and Dairy lol I was just explaining how it can negatively affect the body and that the simple solution is cutting it out of your diet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I

Probably has to do with how you grew up. I grew up with all adults drinking milk by the glass (my grandfather loved it with bread and jam and my mom likes it with wafers), so I don't associate it with kid foods anymore than I associate Greek yogurt with the word "trendy" because It has been a daily staple for generations and is the exact opposite of trendy, think about the typical foods you eat that everybody and takes for granted, that's Greek yogurt for me.

Both sides of my family are from european decent and tolerate dairy particularly well.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    I

Probably has to do with how you grew up. I grew up with all adults drinking milk by the glass (my grandfather loved it with bread and jam and my mom likes it with wafers), so I don't associate it with kid foods anymore than I associate Greek yogurt with the word "trendy" because It has been a daily staple for generations and is the exact opposite of trendy, think about the typical foods you eat that everybody and takes for granted, that's Greek yogurt for me.

Both sides of my family are from european decent and tolerate dairy particularly well.

Nope, just me. everyone else was fine. Me. no way.

I actually used grapefruit juice in my cheerios.

everyone else had milk..
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I

everyone else had milk..

What did you have with your chocolate chip cookies or Oreos?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    I

everyone else had milk..

What did you have with your chocolate chip cookies or Oreos?

I didn't... chocolate and processed sugar exacerbated my ADHD/ODD
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I

I never said that people are wrong for eating it. I really don't care who eats what but this is an opinion board and I was adding mine... that humans aren't made for digesting gluten and dairy. If you do eat it that's your choice and that's fine. I eat it sometimes as well. But gluten is an inflammatory food so if you are sick of having aches and pains that don't seem to have an explanation, you might try cutting out gluten. And if you have issues with acne, bloating, and other hormonal issues, you might try cutting out dairy.
    I am not a scientist, just a girl with an opinion... that's what this page is for right? OPINIONS? didn't realize that mine was so personally offensive -_-

The idea that we were made, or created, to do or not do anything in particular and that we should avoid doing that which we were not made to do is inherently a religious argument.

If you scroll up you'll see I already addressed this. Not religious. Just science. Our digestive systems just don't process the food well. And I feel like you haven't read anything I said considering that in my last post I said that there is no wrong in people eating it. I don't have a moral issue with gluten and Dairy lol I was just explaining how it can negatively affect the body and that the simple solution is cutting it out of your diet.

It's pretty much just Europeans and groups like Mongols that developed a mutation that allows for dairy consumption after early childhood. And even within populations of these groups a certain percentage cannot process dairy well. In most of the world milk is not used in an unprocessed state, if at all. Drinking milk is an evolutionary adaptation, just like high-altitude dwellers in the Andes have shorter limbs.

How one perceives this reality is a matter of perspective. One could state that milk is a very nutritious thing for people who can digest it well. Or one can state most people can't digest it well or just don't like it are better off with other foods to get similar nutrition. I'd say both are right.

This discussion has been closed.