Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    tapwaters wrote: »
    I think the whole "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" tripe is total *kitten*. Yea, you'll lose weight, but you'll still be fatty on the inside and not healthy.

Like, literally fatty on the inside? How does that work?

Not literally :P
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I think the whole "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" tripe is total *kitten*. Yea, you'll lose weight, but you'll still be fatty on the inside and not healthy.

I guess I don't understand how someone who understands how much energy their body needs and consistently consumes that amount of energy is still a fatty on the inside. I became fat because I disregarded how much energy my body needed. Adjusting that changed the situation. But you're arguing that if I don't meet certain nutritional standards (as determined by you), I might still be considered fat?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

So is your belief that the advice of "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" is meant to suggest that a person wouldn't eat a balanced diet and would be lacking in key nutrients? That what a person wants to eat is a diet of nothing but donuts or doritos or something like that, up to their calorie alotment? And that they would then suffer malnutrition and be "fatty on the inside" (still not sure what that means).

You don't interpret that advice that it's ok to eat A donut or A serving of doritos on occasion, in the context of an otherwise balanced and healthy diet?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

I guess I don't understand how someone who understands how much energy their body needs and consistently consumes that amount of energy is still a fatty on the inside. I became fat because I disregarded how much energy my body needed. Adjusting that changed the situation. But you're arguing that if I don't meet certain nutritional standards (as determined by you), I might still be considered fat?

sounds like he is making the mythical connection that anyone who says it is OK to eat within your calories and you will still lose weight, is advocating for a diet of 100% oreos, or something...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

I know I did the same thing.

I went from walking 15-20 miles daily just for basic transportation, and working on my feet 30-40 hours a week to a relatively sedentary lifestyle... It happened in phases, and I was still walking A LOT as I went from 5'11" and 145 to 185 lbs... then I got a car and got married and went to 220.. then 230.. then 240.. then 260.. then 265... and now back to 235...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think most objections to "eat what you want within your calories" assume, weirdly, that people won't want to eat a balanced diet or will want to eat a nutrient poor or even all junk food diet and won't care how the diet makes him or her feel in deciding what he or she wants to do.

I often (perhaps unfairly) wonder why the person is making those assumptions -- would that person actually WANT to eat a low nutrient diet and not eat vegetables, etc? Or does that person just look down on others and assume they aren't sensible?

Yes, this, you beat me to it and worded it much better.

I would love for someone to answer the questions you posed in the second paragraph, does @tapwaters want to eat a diet of nothing but "junk"? Does he think that other people want to eat this way? And why does he think that?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited June 2017
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think most objections to "eat what you want within your calories" assume, weirdly, that people won't want to eat a balanced diet or will want to eat a nutrient poor or even all junk food diet and won't care how the diet makes him or her feel in deciding what he or she wants to do.

I often (perhaps unfairly) wonder why the person is making those assumptions -- would that person actually WANT to eat a low nutrient diet and not eat vegetables, etc? Or does that person just look down on others and assume they aren't sensible?

Yes, this, you beat me to it and worded it much better.

I would love for someone to answer the questions you posed in the second paragraph, does @tapwaters want to eat a diet of nothing but "junk"? Does he think that other people want to eat this way? And why does he think that?

From some of this other posts I think he may be vegan and against barbaric/cruel meat eating - but that wouldn't explain the comment or the "fatty on the inside" bit. I think maybe he just thinks that some foods are "clean" and others inherently "dirty". It's a common belief if you go by all the clean eating threads around here.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member

I agree, I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to count their calories for the rest of their lives, so just saying to eat whatever you want within your calories is irresponsible. It doesn't help people in the long term because they continue to eat the foods that generally cause people to over eat and gain weight. There aren't many people who have gained a lot of weight eating entirely nutrient dense foods, and yes I'm sure some of you will come on to say that's how you gained your weight, but for the VAST majority of people, reducing the sugary and fatty meals and treats will help keep their weight at a more healthy level in the long term.

It's much more likely that incorporating those "treats" into a deficit will build the habits over time to prevent them from exceeding their calories on maintenance.

Also, I don't know why it's unreasonable to monitor intake for a lifetime.

I agree, I think people are far better off incorporating treats, but to say "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" I don't believe is good because I don't think that's what people should be doing. I think they should be eating a nutrient dense diet and allowing themselves treats when they need them.

Also there is a small group of people that have their health and diet at a high enough priority in their lives to even make healthier food choices and quantities to begin with, so I believe it is very unreasonable to expect for people to be counting their calories for a lifetime, most cannot even consistently do it to lose and maintain a substantial amount of weight even when their health is in jeopardy.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member

I agree, I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to count their calories for the rest of their lives, so just saying to eat whatever you want within your calories is irresponsible. It doesn't help people in the long term because they continue to eat the foods that generally cause people to over eat and gain weight. There aren't many people who have gained a lot of weight eating entirely nutrient dense foods, and yes I'm sure some of you will come on to say that's how you gained your weight, but for the VAST majority of people, reducing the sugary and fatty meals and treats will help keep their weight at a more healthy level in the long term.

I think it's much less realistic to expect people to avoid all foods that they enjoy and don't fit into (sometimes subjective) categories for the rest of their lives.

I agree
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

It's much more likely that incorporating those "treats" into a deficit will build the habits over time to prevent them from exceeding their calories on maintenance.

I agree, I think people are far better off incorporating treats, but to say "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" I don't believe is good because I don't think that's what people should be doing. I think they should be eating a nutrient dense diet and allowing themselves treats when they need them.

Also there is a small group of people that have their health and diet at a high enough priority in their lives to even make healthier food choices and quantities to begin with, so I believe it is very unreasonable to expect for people to be counting their calories for a lifetime, most cannot even consistently do it to lose and maintain a substantial amount of weight even when their health is in jeopardy.

who is this person advocating a nutrient deficient diet and saying eat cookies all day but stay under your calories and you will be fine? I just want someone to tell me who this person is that is making this claim..????
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2017
    ndj1979 wrote: »

who is this person advocating a nutrient deficient diet and saying eat cookies all day but stay under your calories and you will be fine? I just want someone to tell me who this person is that is making this claim..????

I think sometimes it comes from this assumption that anyone with excess weight is eating 100% non-nutrient dense foods. But even people with room to make improvements in their diets probably aren't eating purely non-nutrient dense foods. They're probably eating a combination of different foods, adding up to excessive calories.

So when the statement is made that one can "eat what they like," people with this assumption assume that we're recommending that people live on potato chips and Skittles, ignoring that the person we're speaking to is also eating things like chicken and apples and cereal and broccoli and eggs and etc already.

Are there people who are eating really poorly? Without a doubt. But that doesn't mean that many people aren't meeting their nutritional needs already -- in the context of eating too many calories -- and they just need to adjust their calories to be successful.

And even the person who is eating poorly (meaning the context of their diet overall) will still be better off if they just eat *less* of what they're eating.
This discussion has been closed.