Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm Haribo Gummy Bears and Tootsie Pops kinda guy. Best fuel out there.

Add my vote for Haribo Gummy Bears as well.

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

I keep telling you people... :|

:D:p;)

Oooh, but Haribo Gummy Peaches! Those are soooo good.

I re-rebut:

Bourbon Gummy Bears

g1seidm878kv.png

Intriguing!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

I re-rebut:

Bourbon Gummy Bears

g1seidm878kv.png

Are these good for long hikes?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I get slammed for saying GMO's exist and are responsible for tons of health issues involving americans daily

GMO exists; however there is no evidence suggesting that this is responsible for "tons of health issues involving Americans daily."
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

I re-rebut:

Bourbon Gummy Bears

g1seidm878kv.png

Are these good for long hikes?

I see this as a hiking win-win, clearly. No need to drag a heavy bottle of bourbon with you, plus the energy hit :lol:

Those look so much better than the slimy ones we used to soak in vodka before parties and eat in my university days...
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    GMOs exist- the FDA literally has regulations around the voluntary labeling of food products regarding their origin:

https://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/labelingnutrition/ucm059098.htm
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    Yeah. I didn't really care about my weight until my health suffered and my doctor told me that weight-loss was the single best thing I could do to manage my condition. So, yeah, I can only speak for myself, but weightloss and avoidance of lymphedema flare-ups are pretty well intertwined at this point. Health is the goal and weightloss is the process.

I don't agree with your doctor

Are you a HAES proponent?

Because I can tell you, as someone who undertook weight loss specifically because reaching a healthy body weight is recommended to manage my particular medical condition, it is totally FALSE that weight is not tied to health in many medical conditions.

In fact, although I am a healthy weight, my goal is to get to the very low end of BMI for optimal management of my medical condition.

I have two forms of arthritis. Arthritis is not a weight-neutral disease. Reaching and maintaining a healthy body weight is the best thing you can do for it, much as it was the same thing estherdragon could do for lymphedema. And yes, weight loss is the best thing you can do for that condition.

as I've said from the beginning: my opinion is that the best thing you can do is make positive lifestyle changes like eating more nutrient dense foods, improving your emotional relationship with foods, using exercise to increase your ability level, etc. I feel that weight loss is a natural byproduct of these choices but should not be the focus.

Weight loss was my focus.

It still is. But I had to form healthy habits to achieve it.

Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to.

Or is this a chicken/egg argument at this point, I've lost track.

I have to ask why other people's motives/goals/focus matter so much to you?
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Yeah. I didn't really care about my weight until my health suffered and my doctor told me that weight-loss was the single best thing I could do to manage my condition. So, yeah, I can only speak for myself, but weightloss and avoidance of lymphedema flare-ups are pretty well intertwined at this point. Health is the goal and weightloss is the process.

Imma go with the opinion of the doctor who sees an array of people of all weights and fitness and illnesses day in day out.

cool it's almost like this is a forum thread specifically for people to share their opinions.

It's on the debate board. If you don't want to debate your opinions then this might be the wrong section for you. Why don't people get this?

If you took the time to look over my posts, I've said the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

That's not debating, though. That's simply sticking your head in the sand, ignoring others' points. Debating would mean arguing actual points, as opposed to just saying that it's your opinion.

have you read what i've been writing? I am reading posts, analyzing them, and rebutting them. Debating doesn't mean I have to change my mind.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Are you a HAES proponent?

Because I can tell you, as someone who undertook weight loss specifically because reaching a healthy body weight is recommended to manage my particular medical condition, it is totally FALSE that weight is not tied to health in many medical conditions.

In fact, although I am a healthy weight, my goal is to get to the very low end of BMI for optimal management of my medical condition.

I have two forms of arthritis. Arthritis is not a weight-neutral disease. Reaching and maintaining a healthy body weight is the best thing you can do for it, much as it was the same thing estherdragon could do for lymphedema. And yes, weight loss is the best thing you can do for that condition.

Losing weight has normalized my blood sugar, blood pressure, and lipid profile. My triglycerides are down nearly 4 fold. This is one of the weirdest cases of "la la la I can't hear you" I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot, including flat earthers and people who believe in high society reptilians. Obesity is strongly linked to some diseases and the correlation is quite direct and demonstrable.

I would argue that the lifestyle changes that you made normalized your blood sugar, blood pressure, etc. Weight loss is a byproduct of healthy lifestyle changes.

Is this like the chicken and the egg? What does it matter? :huh:
This discussion has been closed.