Options
12345679»

Replies

• Katagara
    Katagara Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Goal: 35km/week, 5km/day
    Success: 28.7 km
    Challenges: I didn't manage to get Friday or Saturday's walk in. I also went over my calorie intake on Friday...BBQs and parties are making it very challenging.

I'm just going to keep trying. I might go for a little longer walk to start off the new week.
  • W0rldWarME
    W0rldWarME Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Our Goal : 20 Km a week,
    Sucess: 15 Km and a haircut for future walks!
    Challenges : It's still super rainy in my tiny town even on Canada Day we had to hold back the walks :disappointed:
    ulorg0x2kssa.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @W0rldWarME speckled dogs are so cute! <3 Mine just recently had a trim for the warm weather.

Success: We got in 6 miles together this week, since the heat wave ended.

Challenge: Fitting in dog walks AND getting in my running mileage. For example, I did almost 14 miles running on trails in the hills on Thursday. For two days afterwards I really didn't feel like doing long hikes with Apes. So it was just short walks (15 minutes) in the neighborhood. It's hard to balance my own training goals with my dog's needs. I can't take her with me on my runs because it would kill her - she's elderly. And I don't want to short-change her, but I need rest days, too.

giplf0jfaubv.jpg

Look at that face! She's so happy to go. Makes me feel terrible when I leave her to go running...
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @jenilla1 she is so cute!!!! One of my favorite dogs growing up was a standard poodle, they always hold a special spot in my heart. I love her big smile, I love that dogs are just happy to go, regardless of where or for how long. So appreciative :smile:
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @W0rldWarME love the summer cut! Great mileage this week :smile: we hope you have a great holiday weekend.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Success: For the first time we managed 3 miles a day 5 days in a week!! This was so fun and exciting, we had great luck with weather and scheduling, we had a blast.

Challenge: Unfortunately dumb old mom (me) stepped in a fire ant hill (I am seriously allergic) so not only was that walk cut short with a trip to the ER, but we are taking a few days off until the bites heal up to get back out there. Thank gosh for Benadryl!! So in the mean time lots of fetching for the dogs.

Here are the pups on one of our big hikes.

• jenilla1
    Options
    Success: For the first time we managed 3 miles a day 5 days in a week!! This was so fun and exciting, we had great luck with weather and scheduling, we had a blast.

Challenge: Unfortunately dumb old mom (me) stepped in a fire ant hill (I am seriously allergic) so not only was that walk cut short with a trip to the ER, but we are taking a few days off until the bites heal up to get back out there. Thank gosh for Benadryl!! So in the mean time lots of fetching for the dogs.

Great mileage this past week!

But the fire ants - ugh. That's bad news! My husband was attacked by fire ants a few months ago and he broke out in a full rash all over his body. (They only bit his feet but he had hive-like bumps all over the place.) And he doesn't complain about things, but he was complaining that night for sure. So we know how miserable that can be. Hope you heal quickly and get back out there!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

But the fire ants - ugh. That's bad news! My husband was attacked by fire ants a few months ago and he broke out in a full rash all over his body. (They only bit his feet but he had hive-like bumps all over the place.) And he doesn't complain about things, but he was complaining that night for sure. So we know how miserable that can be. Hope you heal quickly and get back out there!

Oh my gosh!!!!! I completely know how he feels. I am not sure if you know this or not (I only found out after the first time I had a reaction) but if you drink liquid Benadryl and swish it around your mouth before swallowing a couple gulps immediately after it happens you can head off the reaction!! I was told this by the dr after my first ER visit, so I keep the children's Benadryl in every car and purse (the first time my throat/face/and foot swelled up from only two bites and I got a rash on arms/legs) anyways, when I stepped in the ant hill this time it was nine bites but thankfully I did what she said before heading to the ER (I seriously thought I was going to die I was so scared) and the Benadryl kicked in before the bites had swollen to a quarter and by the time I was at the ER they had gone completely down to what normal people's bites look like, I continued with regular doses of Benadryl after that and the severe reaction never came. The liquid Benadryl absorbs much faster, so it starts working quicker than the tablets, hopefully he never steps in a anthill or needs it, but I am pretty certain that tip saved my life this week.
  • jenilla1
    Options

Oh my gosh!!!!! I completely know how he feels. I am not sure if you know this or not (I only found out after the first time I had a reaction) but if you drink liquid Benadryl and swish it around your mouth before swallowing a couple gulps immediately after it happens you can head off the reaction!! I was told this by the dr after my first ER visit, so I keep the children's Benadryl in every car and purse (the first time my throat/face/and foot swelled up from only two bites and I got a rash on arms/legs) anyways, when I stepped in the ant hill this time it was nine bites but thankfully I did what she said before heading to the ER (I seriously thought I was going to die I was so scared) and the Benadryl kicked in before the bites had swollen to a quarter and by the time I was at the ER they had gone completely down to what normal people's bites look like, I continued with regular doses of Benadryl after that and the severe reaction never came. The liquid Benadryl absorbs much faster, so it starts working quicker than the tablets, hopefully he never steps in a anthill or needs it, but I am pretty certain that tip saved my life this week.

Cool! That's awesome. Thanks for the tip! :D
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Walking buddies: Wick, Artoo, Rose
    Goals: 7.5 miles a week per dog
    Challenges: heat and humidity
    Successes: graduated to running

Hey everyone! Any updates?!

We took all of last week off for a bunch of reasons so no mileage, but we are off to a great start this week.

We have switched to running instead of walking for our morning walk, so far this week 1.5 miles per dog per day (so I'm getting 3). Only weekdays.

I am hoping that as they get more accustomed to running I can start taking them further, but due to the heat and humidity (the "coldest" it's getting here in FL atm is 80 degrees Fahrenheit) it's a safety thing and I will definitely be making sure I don't push them at all. One thing that's nice about running is that the same mileage takes half the time, so it's easier to fit it into the schedule.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo I agree on the running thing saving time. I just ran 9 miles this morning. It would have taken a lot longer if I'd hiked it! I like to run so I can be out of there before it starts heating up. I feel bad for people in humid places, though. It probably never really cools down for you guys. It's super hot here in the daytime, but in the evening, the sea breeze rolls in and cools everything down. I love Summer nights on the West Coast.

Summer is a tough time to be doing dog walking challenges for a lot of us with the heat and vacations, etc. I predict this thread will slow WAY down for awhile. B)

We're about to be MIA ourselves for a couple of weeks, but we'll be doing a ton of outdoor adventuring while we're gone. I'll report back later!

Peace out.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo I agree on the running thing saving time. I just ran 9 miles this morning. It would have taken a lot longer if I'd hiked it! I like to run so I can be out of there before it starts heating up. I feel bad for people in humid places, though. It probably never really cools down for you guys. It's super hot here in the daytime, but in the evening, the sea breeze rolls in and cools everything down. I love Summer nights on the West Coast.

Summer is a tough time to be doing dog walking challenges for a lot of us with the heat and vacations, etc. I predict this thread will slow WAY down for awhile. B)

We're about to be MIA ourselves for a couple of weeks, but we'll be doing a ton of outdoor adventuring while we're gone. I'll report back later!

Peace out.

Wow! Thats a great run :smile: I did five yesterday and that's the farthest I've ever "ran" (in quotes because there was a lot of walking intervals involved lol!!).

ahhh yes we miss the west coast, we have lived in California for my husband's job a few times! I miss the dry air haha. It really does not cool down here, even with a sea breeze, I can't believe I complained about the pacific being cold!

Have fun in your adventures!