Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think that gluten, lactose, or {insert supposed food intolerance here} is really just a fad?

Options

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I am gluten intolerant, was checked for celiac 3 years ago, tested high but not high enough to go for more testing, and that was after being taken off gluten 3 weeks before my blood tests. I am not interested in taking another test as I know what makes me ill, and I know how much better I feel now I have eliminated gluten.

So this is how this FAD affects me: within hours I am so bloated I look like I am 7 months pregnant, only my tracksuit bottoms fits me. Then comes the cramping, headache, nausea, bone pains and then comes the bathroom visits. Trust me, having the Niagara falls coming out of your backside is no fun. On a really bad day, 30+ visits, on a better day 8-10.

Then comes that wonderful wind, that bloating has to come out sometime. I can make a grown man proud. I am ill for 3-5 days.

I can track my imaginary intolerance back in my medical records for 35 years. So yes, sure, I am on the gluten intolerance bandwagon, because gluten intolerance does not exist, and btw an intolerance and an allergy are two different things. I am not allergic to gluten.

If you had been to my doctors, they'd have done further testing given your other symptoms, because I tested like you did.

They never biopsied you? Unreal.

You have all the symptoms and should act as if you have celiac.

As I said - for anyone with real gluten issues, the bathroom tells the story.

Getting tested in the U.K. Is not that straight forwards, more like an uphill struggle. I am just glad I feel better! I cannot even think of ever reintroducing it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i think a lot of the a-type 'professionals' that i've heard this gluten thing from have no clue, sure.

do i draw the same conclusions about them and their lifestyle/character/intelligence as you? well, no. i tend to just cut people off at the knees when they start trying to tell me tmi stuff i don't give a good damn about.

so i guess i don't feel very driven to make up alternative interpretations for whatever troubles they tell me avoiding gluten has cured.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do not discount at all those who have legitimate medical issues, but I would still contend that the majority of people who have a gluten fixation in 2017 are simply impressionable, attention-seeking rubes who follows silly marketing trends and are buying into the hype. The same type of people that bought a Lance Armstrong bracelet and would of been a prime candidate for purchasing a pet rock when that was trendy.

This extremely annoying girl that works in HR at my company told me a few weeks ago she thought she was allergic to gluten. She blathered on endlessly about how she always felt run-down and crabby, had a waning sex drive, dry skin and hair, etc .Must be gluten! Yeah, that's the obvious culprit. Because at 25 years old, it couldn’t possibly be a result of the two packs of cigarettes per day and handle of rum she consumes every weekend. She probably got the idea from some stupid magazine article that she is always reading.

Again, I fully appreciate people who have Celiac disease. This is an autoimmune disorder that occurs in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine and tons of pain. When people with celiac disease eat gluten, their body mounts an immune response that literally causes the body to attack itself. This has to suck, and these folks have my sympathy.

The guy who "discovered" gluten sensitivity was an Aussie by the name of Peter Gibson. Peter is a professor of gastroenterology at Monash University and director of the GI Unit at The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, Australia. His original research yielded results which were not replaceable (a key concept in the scientific method) by other labs . So like any good scientist, he re-launched a far more extensive series of trials and concluded that non-Celiac gluten sensitivity is nonsense. Peter's lab is hardly alone in this conclusion either. Check Medline or PubMed.

So unless you actually have Celiac disease, gluten has almost ZERO practical effect on you. And when you have Celiac disease, you KNOW you have it very early on in life most of the time. Just because you get sleepy after you eat seven slices of pizza doesn’t mean you’re allergic to gluten. Feeling bloated after plowing through that plate of Fettuccine Alfredo? You should, but not for the reasons you try to delude yourself into believing.

That said, this level of stupidity does have some economic benefit. $12.5 billion dollars worth of gluten-free products sold in the year 2016. So I guess indirectly it is supplying jobs and an economic boost. Ironically enough, in my day job I work for an ad agency, and this is hardly the only time pure nonsense is able to capture both the minds and wallets of the impressionable public.

Lol this is very true. This is common behavior for a lot of people (especially young, impressionable teens) so I can totally see where they'd think there is a correlation rather than 'hmm, maybe I shouldn't eat this much of x'
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    The problem is that the people providing gluten free food don't always take them seriously and the people truly relying on gluten free products can't always rely that products touted as being gluten free are going to be meticulously prepared since some people aren't taking this all that seriously thinking that they're just accommodating people following a fad, not people who have a disease. It's troubling.

I totally get this. I recently discovered a really great little bakery that specializes in gluten-free selections, but they also serve regular breads and cookies. I was pretty happy to share this find, but my friend with celiac is afraid to eat there because she's concerned about cross-contamination because everything is prepared in the same kitchen.
  • chokhas
    chokhas Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    GailK1967 wrote: »
    As the mother of 3 coeliacs I am happy to see so many people on the gluten free /gluten intolerant fad. It means way way more options and choices for Coeliacs. The more people demanding GF foods, the more companies will stump up.

OTOH it's annoying to hear a gluten intolerant person blabbing on about how hard it is to live GF then watch them gobble down a piece of cake because "a little bit won't hurt". Maybe it won't hurt you bit it would put my kid in the hospital for a week and even worse chefs, cooks and wait staff take coeliacs less seriously when they see this kind of behavior.

I think this as a problem. I know a lot of people that treat gluten as the new fat so I can't take a lot of the food allergies seriously especially if a person has not been diagnosed by a doctor. one of my good friends has celiac so I know its tough if you are really having the disease and I am not talking about people that have real issues. but I think a lot of people follow this without having a problem. the good thing is that like this the lactose free or gluten free food is available at a better price but I think its bad for people that are actually sick because they are not taken seriously. if you think you have an intolerance for gluten get tested for both wheat and gluten because you can just be allergic against wheat and not gluten in general. please'seek medical advice before'self diagnosing or at least let a doctor check your self diagnosis is right.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    I

For lactose, pfft, I am friends with lactose intolerant people and believe me the bathroom does not lie!

The toilet certainly doesn't lie, I developed a lactose intolerance during my last pregnancy, and if I drink milk then I need to be close to the toilet for the next 24hours.

• ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There is a kid I know (around 7-8 years old) and she was always tiny when both her parents and sisters were tall. They took her to the doctor since she was also looking very underweight and it turns out she can't eat gluten anymore. Also her other sister got the same diagnosis so it must run in their family.

Now if I start cutting gluten I won't even refer to it as gluten socially. I'll just say "I cut out the breads and pitas so I lose weight" :p

As for lactose intolerance, it's common in Greece and I don't think all these people and kids are saying this so people can excuse them for not drinking milk.

Before I had my gallbladder removed I would also have terrible stomach aches and puke whenever I ate eggs and avocados and peppers! My doctor told me that there are specific foods that would cause discomfort (fats mostly) and also personal foods. My great grandmother also couldn't tolerate peppers. Now 7 months since I had the surgery I eat eggs and peppers without problems. I thought I couldn't tolerate these foods and I couldn't until I removed my gallbladder and time passed.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Can't speak for the other things but lactose intolerant is definitely a real thing and you'll know if you have it, because you'll live in the bathroom :p One of my kid is lactose intolerant and we ended up having a full food allergy scratch test done because when she ate most times she'd have horrible stomach cramps, massive bathroom issues-to the point where she was being sent home from school. The allergist labeled her lactose intolerant and after making adjustments to her diet/having her take lactaid pills she hasn't had any issues for several years now, except for one time when she had an Arby's shake to celebrate her birthday and we ended up having to cancel her birthday party because she had to spend hours in the bathroom an utter wreck (total mom fail for letting her have the shake without a lactaid pill :s ).

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    No, of course they're not fads. Some people may be paranoid and think they're intolerant without seeing a doctor, but I spent many years seeing a variety of the best Gastroenterologists (not due to the topic, but for ulcers and GERD) and when they started testing me for food allergies and asking about intolerance I was like "Well I've never had them before, sooo why are we wasting time with this".

They told me that most people don't realize you can *literally* wake up one day with food allergies and/or intolerances even if you were fine yesterday. Due to the delicate balance of the GI as your body's 2nd but equally-important "brain". Similarly, they can suddenly go away come back, get new ones, etc. It can happen to anyone at any time no matter how healthy they are. And that mostly everyone is somewhat intolerant to something. It's just a matter of whether it's enough to cause symptoms.

But dumb things like "wheat belly" are what create this paranoia among healthy people who have no intolerance....but act like certain foods are poison.

This happened with a family member-totally fine with all foods into her 20s and then she started having really bad reactions-started with a gastro, who then referred her to an allergist and come to find out she was allergic to several foods that she'd eaten her whole life with no problems. She cut them out and instantly eliminated all her symptoms.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    There are some very real sensitivities and allergies but I think a lot of people are just jumping on a bandwagon. And I say that as someone who is gluten free due to a wheat germ allergy (yes I can have barley and rye I just don't because usually they are mixed with wheat flour). Also, my husband is extremely lactose intolerant. I had never seen a person get so sick from a scoop of ice cream before he and I lived together.

It annoys the crap out of me when people tell me they are gluten intolerant and then eat it occasionally. One of my oldest friends and my own dad both do this. When I changed my diet after a medical diagnosis they both claimed they were feeling sick and had to eat like I do now. Neither have ever been to a doctor for it and both still eat gluten and wheat when it suits them.

It makes it so much harder for people, like myself, who really can't eat it to be taken seriously when we eat out.

My reaction is not like someone with Celiac. I get painfully backed up and bloated with a burning rash when I ingest wheat germ. This includes the gluten free wheat grass and buck wheat. This lasts up to 3 days but usually only 1-2.

When my husband eats lactose/dairy he is up all night violently vomiting with sharp cramps. Two of his 3 siblings are the same.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I personally think non-celliac gluten sensitivity might exist for some percentage of the population, but is not nearly as widespread as the number of people on a gf diet. https://nutritionfacts.org/2016/02/18/gluten-sensitivity-put-to-the-test/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    GailK1967 wrote: »
    As the mother of 3 coeliacs I am happy to see so many people on the gluten free /gluten intolerant fad. It means way way more options and choices for Coeliacs. The more people demanding GF foods, the more companies will stump up.

OTOH it's annoying to hear a gluten intolerant person blabbing on about how hard it is to live GF then watch them gobble down a piece of cake because "a little bit won't hurt". Maybe it won't hurt you bit it would put my kid in the hospital for a week and even worse chefs, cooks and wait staff take coeliacs less seriously when they see this kind of behavior.

That annoys me too. Hugely. That isn't gluten-free. It's gluten-light. Big difference.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Unless you have Celiac disease; your body needs gluten. It's a mixture of two protiens types. Gluten free is actually unhealthy for the average person.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    Unless you have Celiac disease; your body needs gluten. It's a mixture of two protiens types. Gluten free is actually unhealthy for the average person.
    I don't think I've ever heard of the body actually having a physiological need for gluten. What specifically does the body actually need that protein for?

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    BabyBear76 wrote: »

As far as I am aware, the human body does not need gluten to function. I think you might be confusing the proteins in gluten - glutenin and glianins - with the two non-essential amino acids glutamic acid (also responsible for the umami flavor) and glutamine. Both amino acids are found in various food items besides gluten.

Non-essential amino acid means the body can synthesize the amino acid from other constituents if not ingested directly from a food source.

I believe the names of all of them are derived from the Latin for "glue," but they are not the same chemicals.

Exactly! If your body needed gluten to function, those of us with celiac disease would be sol and dead :)