Understanding Insulin is key to weight control

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    wolfe1234 wrote: »

Don't be so sure. The main reduction in my calories came from fat, the rest of my food hasn't changed (including my carbs).

Low fat diets were debunked long ago. You're setting yourself up for some serious hormone disruption.

some people have to be on a low fat diet though.no hormone issues except for the perimenopuase which was occurring before I had to drop the fat.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly what the message of the video was. Was it just eat when you're hungry in order to maintain your weight?

If so, what does that have to do w/"understanding insulin" and the intricacies of eating low vs hi GI carbs in order to control your insulin levels so that less insulin is released enabling the body to make use of BF for energy thus reducing weight and BF levels? Not much apparently.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Here is a summary of the research on fasting and cancers. Also some stuff about cancer and the ketogenic diet.
    https://www.canceractive.com/cancer-active-page-link.aspx?n=3408

Not only is that websites lay out an eyesore and difficult to read...

"Fasting and calorie restriction can slow and even stop cancer progression and tumour growth, kill cancer cells and significantly improve chemo and radiotherapy effectiveness. Fasting has also been shown to boost the immune system, de-fat the liver and pancreas and reduce chemotherapy side-effects. A three or five day fast is something to seriously consider when having chemotherapy."

My mother's nutrition team during chemo would strongly disagree.

"One final benefit is that fasting and juice fasting can help detoxify and de-fat the liver, regenerating its power. By de-fatting the liver, two British Professors (Taylor and Lean) have shown you can clean up the pancreas too."

De-fat the liver? Regenerating its power? WTF?
    Id bloody someone if they suggested a juice cleanse or a 5 day fast to assist in killing the tumor in her liver.

*kitten* like this makes me angry.

EDIT* and you can pay/donate to be a member. I need to look away my eyes are rolling so hard I may injure myself. (maybe a juice cleanse or 3 day fast will help if I do)

This made me laugh so hard I cried.

I'm a survivor and fasting did not do anything positive for my body.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Don't be so sure. The main reduction in my calories came from fat, the rest of my food hasn't changed (including my carbs).

Low fat diets were debunked long ago. You're setting yourself up for some serious hormone disruption.

My primary reduction in calories was from fat as well...'cuz I ate tons of cheese and washed it down with pints of whole milk on a daily basis and I ate a lot of other fatty foods...cooked with tons of butter, oil, cream, etc. Reducing my fat intake doesn't mean I went low fat...I still get between 50-60 grams per day.

Reducing calories from fat doesn't necessarily mean one is on a low fat diet.

Yep, when I want to cut a bit of weight, I typically cut back on the fat and leave everything else the same. Because I'm already eating a higher fat diet, it's one of the easier places to find stuff to cut and still meet my nutritional needs overall. The end result for me isn't a low fat diet, but just a lower calorie diet with less fat.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Here is a summary of the research on fasting and cancers. Also some stuff about cancer and the ketogenic diet.

"Fasting and calorie restriction can slow and even stop cancer progression and tumour growth, kill cancer cells and significantly improve chemo and radiotherapy effectiveness. Fasting has also been shown to boost the immune system, de-fat the liver and pancreas and reduce chemotherapy side-effects. A three or five day fast is something to seriously consider when having chemotherapy."

"One final benefit is that fasting and juice fasting can help detoxify and de-fat the liver, regenerating its power. By de-fatting the liver, two British Professors (Taylor and Lean) have shown you can clean up the pancreas too."

Id bloody someone if they suggested a juice cleanse or a 5 day fast to assist in killing the tumor in her liver.

EDIT* and you can pay/donate to be a member. I need to look away my eyes are rolling so hard I may injure myself. (maybe a juice cleanse or 3 day fast will help if I do)

And if fasting killed cancer then people in the final stages who can no longer eat or drink would be cured.....halle fookin lujah edit.to add serious sarcasm from someone who sat and watched a parent die from cancer.

<hugs>
    I did too- for 11 agonizing days on hospice, not even 3 months ago. Saddest time of my life.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

My primary reduction in calories was from fat as well...'cuz I ate tons of cheese and washed it down with pints of whole milk on a daily basis and I ate a lot of other fatty foods...cooked with tons of butter, oil, cream, etc. Reducing my fat intake doesn't mean I went low fat...I still get between 50-60 grams per day.

Yep, when I want to cut a bit of weight, I typically cut back on the fat and leave everything else the same. Because I'm already eating a higher fat diet, it's one of the easier places to find stuff to cut and still meet my nutritional needs overall. The end result for me isn't a low fat diet, but just a lower calorie diet with less fat.

Not to mention that most nutrients are in foods that are predominantly carbs, while foods that are predominantly fat don't tend to have a good nutrient density per calorie consumed, so it's the best choice (at least for me) both variety-wise and nutrition-wise. I had air popped popcorn today, for example. I used to have it oil popped, which is more than twice the calories. I still get to enjoy popcorn, with all of its nutrients and the only difference is that it does not contain as many calories. Reducing the amount of oil I use for popcorn gradually helped me transition to air popped without noticing too much of a difference in taste. The only oil I use is a light misting for salt to stick.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For those interested, this article does a nice summation of the studies that lead to the theory of fasting effects on cancer cell growth. It has a nice layout and explains the progression of study results and theories that have lead to these claims. It does point out that active studies on humans are under way, but that to date... all the research being cited (in all the previously posted articles) was ALL conducted on animals.

https://www.osher.ucsf.edu/patient-care/self-care-resources/cancer-and-nutrition/frequently-asked-questions/cancer-and-fasting-calorie-restriction/
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Not to mention that most nutrients are in foods that are predominantly carbs, while foods that are predominantly fat don't tend to have a good nutrient density per calorie consumed, so it's the best choice (at least for me) both variety-wise and nutrition-wise. I had air popped popcorn today, for example. I used to have it oil popped, which is more than twice the calories. I still get to enjoy popcorn, with all of its nutrients and the only difference is that it does not contain as many calories. Reducing the amount of oil I use for popcorn gradually helped me transition to air popped without noticing too much of a difference in taste. The only oil I use is a light misting for salt to stick.

As long as you added the salt and not the "big evil food companies", cause that added salt from the BEFC is different and is there to addict you. lol

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

And if fasting killed cancer then people in the final stages who can no longer eat or drink would be cured.....halle fookin lujah edit.to add serious sarcasm from someone who sat and watched a parent die from cancer.

<hugs>
    I did too- for 11 agonizing days on hospice, not even 3 months ago. Saddest time of my life.

Same. 2 years ago. Mom died on my parents 59th anniversary from cancer complications. So reading this fasting stuff is actually pretty upsetting.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    mlsh1969 wrote: »
    willgt78 wrote: »
    Please show results of each of the plans you follow. At 39 I'll compare my physique to anyone and my blood work too. Main stream has pushed this western type diet to all of you becouse it is a cash cow for them. In reality obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer can all be mitigated through fasting. If you haven't researched or tried it you really shouldn't comment.

Well, l must say at 39 years old, ur physique is pretty dang good. I cant argue with that. I will say that l know what works for me and that fasting doesnt. Im not knocking it, lve tried and it just doesnt cut it for me. Now l do have a few friends that are totally with u, and thats cool. I guess lm just trying to say we all gotta do the thing that works for us. Cheers and keep up the good work.

You're assuming that the avatar picture is actually the pp.....lots of people use fake pics here.

Nuh-uh!

I'm a confused snake.

And I'm just a happy dog :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ^Agreed.

To see heart disease and IF as a cure? GTFOOH... I lost my mom to a lifelong battle with heart disease.

Hugs to all that have lost loved ones due to the aforementioned diseases. :(
    Please show results of each of the plans you follow. At 39 I'll compare my physique to anyone and my blood work too. Main stream has pushed this western type diet to all of you becouse it is a cash cow for them. In reality obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer can all be mitigated through fasting. If you haven't researched or tried it you really shouldn't comment.

Well, l must say at 39 years old, ur physique is pretty dang good. I cant argue with that. I will say that l know what works for me and that fasting doesnt. Im not knocking it, lve tried and it just doesnt cut it for me. Now l do have a few friends that are totally with u, and thats cool. I guess lm just trying to say we all gotta do the thing that works for us. Cheers and keep up the good work.

You're assuming that the avatar picture is actually the pp.....lots of people use fake pics here.

Nuh-uh!

I'm a confused snake.

I knew it!

*scratches you behind the ears*
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Nuh-uh!

I'm a confused snake.

I'm a beautiful sunset
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

True, never thought of that
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I'm Mads Mikkelsen and my diet consists primarily of the rude. A fatty bunch, though. Have to do lots of trimming.

I guess you make soap as well? ;)