"You're tall. You don't want to get too skinny."

Options

Replies

• tropiz9
    tropiz9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8, large as Apple shape.
    I need lose about 6st and ideal weight is 9st to 11st for my height.. depend on how I look good or too much thin either when I lose 6st or so ... wait n see :)
  • elizabeth7708
    elizabeth7708 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' ,168 pounds, and a size 6. I don't look "too thin" I could probably lose another 15 pounds and still look heathy. Don't worry about what people say unless your doctor gets concerned about it.
  • PhylinAZ
    PhylinAZ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9.5" and 156 at this time. I am down 19 pounds so far from last year. I am hoping to reach my goal of 140 by this Oct. I've heard the "Oh you're thin enough." plenty of times. I wish the haters would just close it.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    So yes, 5'8" and above for females is generally seen as tall.

Pshaw. I'm only 5'7" and have gotten "You're tall." (and have been rolling my eyes at the comment) ever since I sprung up to that height in the 7th grade. The US national average is 5'2" to 5'5" for women, depending on what population you are looking at. If a woman is even marginally taller than that, she seems to be considered tall by some people. Regardless if it's really true or not.

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Pshaw. I'm only 5'7" and have gotten "You're tall." (and have been rolling my eyes at the comment) ever since I sprung up to that height in the 7th grade. The US national average is 5'2" to 5'5" for women, depending on what population you are looking at. If a woman is even marginally taller than that, she seems to be considered tall by some people. Regardless if it's really true or not.

I'm not going to lie, when I think of "taller girl," I think back to my days of binge watching America's Next Top Model. The cut off to enter was typically 5'8" with a few 5'7" girls slipping by.. not that I tried to enter or anything. :sweat_smile:

Somehow my perception of height has forever been altered by my intrigue with fashion models back in the day. But obviously it boils down to perception.
  • esmerelda9479
    esmerelda9479 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    People can look different at the same weight and height. I'm 5'10 and when I was 125 lbs and a size 2 I looked too thin. I look best at 160-170 and wear a size eight at that size. I'm a 12 when I weigh 195/200. It just depends on how you carry your weight. I have small hips so I can wear smaller pants sizes. No one believed me when I would say I weighed 170, they thought it was way less but that is a healthy weight for me. I would just aim for how you most feel comfortable.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

My mom constantly thinks she's short 5'4", my sister is average, 5'6", and I'm tall 5'10"....
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options

I'm not going to lie, when I think of "taller girl," I think back to my days of binge watching America's Next Top Model. The cut off to enter was typically 5'8" with a few 5'7" girls slipping by.. not that I tried to enter or anything. :sweat_smile:

Somehow my perception of height has forever been altered by my intrigue with fashion models back in the day. But obviously it boils down to perception.

When I think of tall women, it starts at 5'10"-5'11" and goes up from there. That's my point: A lot of women are told they are tall when, in fact, they are not. A least in the US. :)

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Ignore what others say, as long as you're in/aiming for the healthy range, have plenty of energy and stamina, aren't getting sick, and are eating a reasonable amount of food for your activity (i.e. you're not living on 1200 calories/day while running 10 miles).

If any of those things do apply, though, you should then re-evaluate what you're doing.

There's a range of healthy weight. For 5'9" that range is 125-169. Where you look and feel your best in that range will depend on your build.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Not a woman, but one of my best friends is 6'2" and she gets this all the time. She bounces around a lot with her weight, but I think she looks good when she is in the middle of a normal BMI.
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    People are always going to be crappy and feel the need to comment on your weight. I'm 4'10.5" and when I was 104 a friend told me I looked too skinny. I was the healthiest and had the most tone in my life. My point? You, and maybe your doctor, know your body best, If you're getting the right nutrients and activity, and you can achieve that weight with those tools, then it IS healthy.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

When I think of tall women, it starts at 5'10"-5'11" and goes up from there. That's my point: A lot of women are told they are tall when, in fact, they are not. A least in the US. :)

Average height of women in the US is 5'4-5'5 depending on who you believe... STDEV is 3-4 inches. so 5'1=5'9"

So yes. 5'10" is where "tall" starts statistically.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere between 5'9 and 5'10, and I'm definitely tall, no matter what statistics say.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Average height of women in the US is 5'4-5'5 depending on who you believe... STDEV is 3-4 inches. so 5'1=5'9"

So yes. 5'10" is where "tall" starts statistically.

Well.... clothing sizes disagree with you. At 5'7 I've needed "talls" my entire life.