Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is counting calories/macros destroying our enjoyment of food?

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    A little but I don't care. When you consider that food is a way for you to fuel your body, not a form of entertainment, it kinda puts things in perspective for me.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    spdaphne wrote: »
    Interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

I'm learning to not focus on calories and focus more on what my plate looks like. I'm learning to go off these questions my nutritionist suggested to me

(1) is this the best choice I can make
    (2) does it fit through the filter - WFs / sugars? / protein(s), fats & carbs
    (3) how am I programming myself to feel and function - what's the biggest/loudest message on your plate

I'm not gonna count calories for the rest of my life because it's not realistic and calories doesn't tell you a lot about the nutrients of the food which is what I'm focused more on. But I enjoy food and make some super tasty dishes in the process and therefore look forward to eating.

I like this approach!
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Late to the game but, for me, calorie counting has enhanced my relationship with food. I'm a numbers guy and I love playing calorie Tetris. THAT ENCHILADA WILL FIT TODAY, DAMN IT. But I digress....

For me it's freed me up from the agony of the unknown. I know when I eat that enchilada, about how much it's going to cost me calorically. I don't eat blind anymore. I have more control over my health and my future with such knowledge, even given the built in 20% error rate on calorie counts.

I no longer eat mindlessly, but rather mindfully, and it's definitely a reassuring thing.

Same! Hate not knowing and not being in control of my diet.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    4'10" 119lb female = 1400 estimated net maintenance calories.... that is SO not happening unless I count those puppies (or run a marathon every day). (unless all restaurants and tasty calorie dense morsels and chocolate and candy and wine and <insert all tasty awesomeness here> all suddenly disappear- and I don't think that's about to happen).
  • r4968
    r4968 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OMG! I started a health plan 2 months ago. I am
    Supposed to use MyFitnessPal to monitor calories plus do HIIT routines at the gym. The workout part is awesome, but the logging food is terrible. I need to lose inky between 10-15 pounds but it is more about decreasing body fat. I am 47 and perimenopausal and the weight is not dropping.
    I have a lot of anxiety. I do not know what to eat anymore. I have developed a fear of food. I am constantly looking at the App checking calories and nutritional facts. I went to a restaurant with my husvnd husband and Just wanted to cry. I ordered a margarita and leafy it there because I almost had a panick attack thinking on the calories. I can't enjoy a meal anymore.
    This morning I emailed my health oach and told her how I feel. I am about to go to a therapist because I feel extremely depressed by this process.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I count macros. I am so used to it, I know the macros for about 99% of the most common foods off the top of my head. I never count calories as I eat extremely "clean".
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    The only negative side effect I experienced while counting calories is that I became stingy with my food because after I've already weighed and logged it I get peeved when I have to guesstimate and change it accordingly.

Yup. The other day I steamed some fruit, and I did not let me mom have a bite because I already weighed and cooked everything. I almost felt bad lol.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Love reading everyone's opinions on the subject. Though many of you are saying that counting calories has no negative influence on your enjoyment of food, do you think it has had an effect on your relationship with food (example: looking at 2 choices on a menu and seeing only numbers, choosing the lower calorie option, etc.)?

Since I only use my calories on food I actually like now, I do enjoy eating more, but it has affected my relationship. I don't eat out nearly as much as I used to; and when I do, it's always the lower calorie option, since my version of portion control gets skewed where restaurants are concerned.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    For myself. Nope. I still eat out with my friends & family, try new recipes, enjoy a variety of food. The biggest difference I see with myself and others is that I am more focused on my macros and not calories. I know what my minimum daily protien and veggie requirements are and go by that. I also tend to eat clean. I had a nutritionist do a daily calorie requirement for me once to "maintain weight" and basically, I just have to stay under 2500/day. Hitting 2000/day is hard for me, especially when I don't eat any added fats or sugars. Not even salad dressing of any sort.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I pay more attention to my food and eat it slower. I do get fewer high calorie favorites though, saved now for occasional treats.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    The only negative side effect I experienced while counting calories is that I became stingy with my food because after I've already weighed and logged it I get peeved when I have to guesstimate and change it accordingly.

Yup. The other day I steamed some fruit, and I did not let me mom have a bite because I already weighed and cooked everything. I almost felt bad lol.
    Bwahaha. .. same here. I find myself saying "hey, I already logged that" if the SO grabs a morsel.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    You can still enjoy food while taking distinct steps to change your lifestyle.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think I now spend too much time with it vs sitting down and enjoying my meals.