Wearing Cologne/Perfume at the gym

Options

Replies

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    So, this is going to make me seem like an idiot, but here's something I did to the entire weight room in an attempt to be helpful... without using my brain first.

I soak paper towels in straight Peppermint Oil at home for cleaning and to freshen the house, so I thought "Oh, I'll just take these to the gym to save them the cleaner/paper towels while having my convenient baggie of towels on me."

After I wiped about 4 weight machines, it finally sunk in that not only had I created an eye-burning, sinus-clearing situation.... but that it could rub off on people's workout clothes. An then the realization of allergic people kicked in, too. I totally panicked, put my baggie away in shame, and proceeded to try to go re-clean every Peppermint Laden machine with the appropriate cleaner. Omg it was horrifying.

I swear I'm not a stupid person, but this was truly an act of intended-helpfulness gone horribly, horribly wrong. I still have no idea if anyone knows what I did. I nearly died of embarrassment and am still embarrassed typing it now. :s:/
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oh God... Axe Body Spray. Just no. My son innocently asked for it once and I had no idea how bad it smelled. So I put a mini in his Christmas stocking. Well... he literally sprayed the entire can on everything he could find in his room. It took weeks for any of us to be able to smell again. Needless to say, Axe is banned in our house now.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Straight peppermint might not be obnoxious. It is not necessarily the smells themselves that bother me but the "carriers" in the mix with the smell that bothers me

At home all my personal products are scent free -- deodorant, shampoo, even dish soap and laundry soap. I wish people who wear those perfumes and colognes would have some consideration for those of us that cannot be near them.
    If someone is wearing something awful, I have to leave the room or go home.
    Thankfully, my gym folks are not as bad as those described up thread.

=-=-=-
    It's o.k. to smell after/while working out. Shower afterwards. No big deal.

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    No fragrance and please be clean before you go :). I can't stand smelling someone's dinner, perfume or un-showered body or after work all day smell....sweat just makes it worse. Those sprays don't mask anything either.

Sorry, I'm not showering between work and the gym.

I don't even really see the big deal of someone smelling like BO at the gym. Smells like work to me. Definitely more tolerable than some rank-*kitten* perfume.

I work in an employee fitness center for a company of 5,000+. We have many departments where people handle trash, cook, landscape, fix cars, pump gas, work around smokers. I'd much rather smell them and their occupations, personally.

I agree, within reason. There is "I've been killing it at the gym just now" BO, and there is "I haven't showered in three weeks" BO. The first is totally acceptable, IMO>

There's also the "I haven't washed my workout clothes all week" smell. It's not technically BO, but it'll make me gag and run away!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    So, this is going to make me seem like an idiot, but here's something I did to the entire weight room in an attempt to be helpful... without using my brain first.

I soak paper towels in straight Peppermint Oil at home for cleaning and to freshen the house, so I thought "Oh, I'll just take these to the gym to save them the cleaner/paper towels while having my convenient baggie of towels on me."

After I wiped about 4 weight machines, it finally sunk in that not only had I created an eye-burning, sinus-clearing situation.... but that it could rub off on people's workout clothes. An then the realization of allergic people kicked in, too. I totally panicked, put my baggie away in shame, and proceeded to try to go re-clean every Peppermint Laden machine with the appropriate cleaner. Omg it was horrifying.

I swear I'm not a stupid person, but this was truly an act of intended-helpfulness gone horribly, horribly wrong. I still have no idea if anyone knows what I did. I nearly died of embarrassment and am still embarrassed typing it now. :s:/

I love peppermint oil and this makes my skin burn just thinking about it. Did you tell staff?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Yeah, you've really got to be careful with essential oils. Not only are allergies and contact dermatitis an issue for many people (and even individuals with non-allergic sensitive skin because essential oils degrade over time causing toxic and irritating compounds) it can make people photosensitive or kill their pets. Cats especially are sensitive to almost all essential oils.

All in all I am super weary about essential oils in general. Im allergic to lavender and had a couple host my boyfriend and I for the weekend. They did the room up real fancy with bottles of water, candles, linens, and unfortunately... sprayed all the bedding and pillows with a boutique lavender "sleep spray".
  • ansmit4642014
    ansmit4642014 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think moderation is ok but also need deodorant
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Deodorant can be pretty bad. An ex coworker and I made a third coworker change brands. We could smell him from across the room and it made us dizzy.

For years, I've asked my OH to use my brand if we're going to be doing anything in close proximity right after he showers. Finally, last time he was at Whole Foods I asked him to pick out some deodorant. It still has artificial fragrance, but doesn't make me dizzy like his original brand.

Tip - take off the cap. If you can smell it from the next room, it's TOO STRONG.
  • jschltn
    jschltn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I personally thought everyone looooovvvved when I sprayed myself 40 times right before walking in the door.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    In a locker room setting, I would very much prefer that everyone just use stick deodorant and no spray deodorants or perfume/cologne. I'm pretty sensitive to a lot of scents and they give me an instant headache and congestion.

If you want to spray yourself down, it would be appreciated if you wait until you get to your car to avoid causing allergic reactions. Everyone likes to smell nice, but you need to be thoughtful about others when you're in a public enclosed space.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    beamin41 wrote: »
    Yes or no? Lol

Deodorant, yes. Body spray, yes. Full blown, makes your eyes tear cologne or perfume, no!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Please please I'm begging no more perfume !!!! I never like the scent and the men seem like they spilled the entire bottle of cologne on their clothes so that the scent wafts behind them for miles. I don't want to workout next to that it makes it hard to breathe.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've never encountered this at the gym, but if it was some odor controlling body spray and I had to choose between that and BO, I'd definitely choose the body spray (or whatever).

BO doesn't make me nauseated or give me headaches and brain fog. Perfume can.

try being on the london underground in the summer with a BO armpit near your nose.
  • harmonyashlyn5
    harmonyashlyn5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Noooo!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've never encountered this at the gym, but if it was some odor controlling body spray and I had to choose between that and BO, I'd definitely choose the body spray (or whatever).

try being on the london underground in the summer with a BO armpit near your nose.

Personally, I don't want any of that stuff near me. I don't want strong perfume up my nostrils, I don't want a BO armpit near my nose, and I certainly don't want a combination of BO layered with perfume in there, either. Perfume is a crappy way to cover up BO. It doesn't help matters. It only adds an extra dimension to the funk. It would be nice if people could just utilize a nice, neutral deodorant/antiperspirant sort of product and shower once in a while. That would be so much nicer for everyone.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Please please I'm begging no more perfume !!!! I never like the scent and the men seem like they spilled the entire bottle of cologne on their clothes so that the scent wafts behind them for miles. I don't want to workout next to that it makes it hard to breathe.

Yes, man perfume is mostly terrible. Huge turnoff.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Tough thing for me is to work with elderly females who don't really dress up to come to the gym. And for some reason, it seems like the same perfume with all of them.
    I cough a lot when I work with them and if they ask if I'm okay I just say "I believe it's your perfume. I likely have an allergy to it." Lol, many times that line doesn't work.

Have you been tested for asthma? I have a type of asthma that results in horrific coughing attacks rather than the classical wheezing, and it took years to get diagnosed even though the problem was obvious in elementary school (by years I mean I was in my mid-twenties and graduate school).

Your "line" may be quite accurate, if the perfumes are an asthma trigger.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

I agree that BO can be pretty disgusting, but not liking a scent or finding it revolting is quite different than having an allergic reaction to it. I have a scent allergy, just like a person can have a peanut allergy. It is not like I don't like the scent and it is making me gag. I get an allergic reaction that can put me in the hospital. I personally do not want to smell someones BO, but it is better than the alternative.

Scent Allergy symptoms:
    mild to severe headache
    skin irritation, itching, and rashes
    sneezing, coughing and runny nose, also called allergic rhinitis
    breathing difficulties, dizziness, and fatigue
    muscle aches
    watery, red, and itchy eyes
    wheezing
    inability to concentrate
    swelling – or angioedema
    nausea and vomiting