No Calorie Sodas and Weight

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Diet soda has had no effect on my weight. I rarely drink it, though. It bloats me up a pant size temporarily - all that carbonation, I guess. Maybe I just need to be burped like a baby when I drink it...?
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    I've searched online and in these forums to see what the popular opinion on this subject is. So many articles claim that no calorie sodas lead to weight gain and/or obesity. But I just don't understand how if you are running a calorie deficit.

What are your opinions?

I drink a fairly large amount of Coke Zero each day so this topic is important to me haha. Do I actually have to drink just water to lose weight?!

I use to but the caffeine for me stimulated appetite. I was told this by several Doctors but I was in denial...sooooo
    I switched to decaffeinate brands but the carbonation also began to play havoc something else I was told ......soooo

I use the Walmart Brand of sugar free water flavors and now dieting is way easier. I even occasionally just drink water to cause well I run out of packets. lol

I still do on occasion drink a decaffeinated soda but to tell you the truth they just don't appeal to me anymore except as an occasional treat almost like a dessert.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    morganfx wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The statistics are clear. People that drink diet drinks over water tend to weigh more. I hope that someday the reason why is found.
    Study after study cannot be biased/ pushing an agenda. What agenda? To stop drinking diet drinks? Coke would fight tooth and nail against this.
    I can even go to a family gathering and notice those that are drinking a diet drink weigh more than those drinking a water bottle. The statistics are not lying.

I've already noted this, but one study I looked at it implied that there is a psychological component whereby people think they're being good by drinking a diet soda and that, that somehow offsets the other copious amounts of calories they're taking in. It's not the soda itself. The studies aren't lying, they just don't tell the whole story which is typical of a correlation study.

This is pretty observable when dining out...someone with a huge double cheeseburger with bacon and extra large french fry...but it's all good because they're at least drinking a diet soda. Or I'm at a BBQ and someone has 4 different kinds of meats on their plates and a pile of beans and potato salad...but hey...they're drinking a diet soda.

It's not the beverage...it's everything else people are doing or not doing.

I could easily be that guy with the bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a diet drink. If I have room in my day for the bacon on my cheeseburger or a regular soda, I'm taking the bacon every time.

Me to, I love bacon
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    To drink water all day your tastebuds must be shot. Those people will eat less. That's my observation.
    Those that crave diet sodas have a craving for taste.... they like food more... they tend to weigh more.

Sorry, that's generalization! You might as well say that people who drink soda don't know what real tastes are like and are too used to artificial crap. While those that enjoy drinking water like real, pure tastes. I guess there might be some truth in both, and in a few other similar statements.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    When dieting I consume a huge amount of "zero calorie" drinks and food product, I've never logged them and I have always made the progress I expected.

If you have a low TDEE I would advise tracking these foods as the occasional 4-5 calories can add up if you have large quantities,
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    I guess I must be an outlier, then. Dropped nearly 70 lbs in 8 months and if anything, I've upped my diet soda consumption.

Nope, me too. 100lbs down and at least 500ml of diet soda a day.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    I have lost 16 pounds in seven weeks and I drink two diet pepsi's a day-I do not feel any different and they are my rewards to myself and I can enjoy them guilt free. I do monitor my sodium intake, so if I have met my sodium intake for the day I will skip them, but it isn't very often I do that. I do not find my hunger changes, Infact I find the soda's carbination filing if I am between meals and often use it after eating a meal to curb hunger.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    I have lost 16 pounds in seven weeks and I drink two diet pepsi's a day-I do not feel any different and they are my rewards to myself and I can enjoy them guilt free. I do monitor my sodium intake, so if I have met my sodium intake for the day I will skip them, but it isn't very often I do that. I do not find my hunger changes, Infact I find the soda's carbination filing if I am between meals and often use it after eating a meal to curb hunger.

why are you worried about the sodium in diet pop?? the coke zero im drinking now has 30mg of sodium which is 1% of your daily total??
  • emmieems
    emmieems Posts: 27 Member
    I drink a ton of Diet Pepsi, it's aspartame free which is good and it's not the best thing in the world for me but it didn't magically cause me to gain weight, crave stuff, and it didn't expand my stomach either
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    To drink water all day your tastebuds must be shot. Those people will eat less. That's my observation.
    Those that crave diet sodas have a craving for taste.... they like food more... they tend to weigh more.

taste buds are shot? Seriously? Not quite....

To be fair, If you smoke a lot, you start to lose the ability to taste and smell things. My father reached the point where he would put so much hot spice in his foods because that was the only thing that would trigger "taste" to him anymore.

once he quit smoking after 5+ years his ability to taste did start to come back.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

To be fair, If you smoke a lot, you start to lose the ability to taste and smell things. My father reached the point where he would put so much hot spice in his foods because that was the only thing that would trigger "taste" to him anymore.

once he quit smoking after 5+ years his ability to taste did start to come back.

Bizarrely, I find that eating quality spicy foods enhances my ability to detect subtle flavors
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member

I've definitely heard of this with the whole smoking thing! Crazy!