Big Boned my Butt!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Written0318
    Options
    I think that the terminology doesn't change whether or not that person is or isn't motivated. In most cases in which the term is used it done so to make excuses and validate laziness.

Whether you have a larger frame or not, overweight is overweight!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I'm not overweight, i am undertall. - Garfield the cat
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i think most people when they say "big boned" mean it as "large frame" atleast thats what ive always took it as anyways
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I will NEVER be on the low end of my normal weight range at 125lbs. My "big bones" just won't allow it, and I would look sickly if I managed to get there.

Ditto. I think I was 140 my freshman year of high school (I didn't weigh myself much), and I was about as skinny as I have ever been at my adult height. And anytime anyone has guessed my weight, they are consistently 20-30 lbs lower than my actual weight. Does that mean I'm large framed? Big boned? I don't know. What it does mean is that I will never get to the lower weight range for my height without looking or being sick, which is fine for me. My goal right now is 150 (taking into account that my body has changed post-babies), and once I hit that I'll evaluate whether or not I can realistically lose any more weight. I know that the last time I lost a bunch of weight (about a year or two before my first pregnancy), I got as low as 157.5 and a size 10, but people thought I was much thinner than that.
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of people saying, "I'm just big boned!" You may have a larger or smaller frame, but "big boned" you are not. I have a friend who is an archeologist/ anthropologist and has seen many bones, and there is no such thing as being overweight because you are 'big boned." I get so annoyed when people use this as an excuse for themselves! Nobody is meant to be obese! Your bones have nothing to do with it! Sorry, I just see it on here a lot. People say, "I weigh ___, but that isn't so bad because I'm big boned." Sorry about the little rant, it just gets on my nerves!

YES! I agree! I have a friend who has ALWAYS used that as an excuse...just because you are big boned DOES NOT mean that you have to be morbidly obese! She is VERY overweight and has been since she was a little girl, but has always used that excuse with me!! Now I will say that there are some people that have larger boned frames, and she is probably one of them, BUT, that doesnt account for all the extra pounds and fat that she carries around...this is just an excuse for lazy people!! That is ALL!
  • emarrghlee
    emarrghlee Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't think that I have 'big bones' as much as I believe I have sturdy bones (as proved when I was hit by a car and came out of it with a sprained ankle). When I weighed 139lbs I looked and felt like a skeleton yet was still named as overweight by my doctor.

Take now for example, I am 5'2'' and weigh 175lbs. I look on mybodygallery.com at women of my height/weight and I look completely different from them.

Everybody is built differently.
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    I don't get why people are so angry about what OTHER people give as excuses to why they are fat. Unless of course, they're blaming you for why they are fat.

Everyone who is overweight knows they are overweight and they are more than likely very unhappy about it. Why is it anyone's business what reason they give to the outside world? They know that just being big-boned (er, excuse me: Large-Framed) doesn't make them 300 lbs. Come on.
  • xalligator
    xalligator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a fat skeleton? ;P
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Having a larger frame means that maybe you are taller, your shoulders are more broad, your ribs wider. "Big Boned" means more dense, more massive.

your definition of big boned is different from my definition of big boned... i'm big boned... i have large hip bones and rib cage. i will never look ok under 130. and i'm barley 5'1"

EDT: i might add that i'm currently 146 and NO ONE believes i weigh that much. when i was 160 people thought i was 140. i have muscular legs, which weigh more, wide hips, which weigh more, and a 34DD chest which weighs more... i will look horrible below my goal weight... mind you i think i would look bad thin i like having curves, as most women do.
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    Have you ever seen a fat skeleton? ;P
    hilarious
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people are so angry about what OTHER people give as excuses to why they are fat. Unless of course, they're blaming you for why they are fat.

Everyone who is overweight knows they are overweight and they are more than likely very unhappy about it. Why is it anyone's business what reason they give to the outside world? They know that just being big-boned (er, excuse me: Large-Framed) doesn't make them 300 lbs. Come on.

Agreed. Let people be.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else think the title of the thread was misleading? :p

Yes!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else think the title of the thread was misleading? :p

I almost spit my water all over my laptop! No, I hadn't thought of what you're implying! LOL
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    While I don't think it should be used as an exucse to be overweight, frame sizes definatly vary.

I have one daughter that takes after me and has a tiny frame, and my other two take after their dad and have big frames They are a healthy weigt, but they look quite a bit bigger then their sister ever did. Wide shoulders, chest, big hand and feet etc.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have big bones ~ but I have lots of flab on top and I am not gonna say other wise. But, I am 5'5" tall and I wear a size 11 in a shoe. When I married my husband, I weighed about 150 and I wore a size 8 on my ring finger. So, I definitely have big bones. I will NEVER be a size 0. It isn't possible. I am not sure if I could even get down to a size 5/6 again.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Having a larger frame means that maybe you are taller, your shoulders are more broad, your ribs wider. "Big Boned" means more dense, more massive.

I'm 5'7" tall...175lbs. In this picture, I was borderline obese:

7434194_7482.jpg

I'm sorry, that's not 'taller', and my ribs really aren't any wider than anyone elses. The only thing making my shoulders broad, is a bit of muscle...which brings me to this:
    According to the bmi I am obese yet my doctor told me I was not big boned or had a large frame (I'm 5'9" 219lbs) He just said you have more muscle weight than the average person. Your bodyfat percentage is very healthy(13%) which pretty much means there are two reasons you are heavier/bigger than somebody else your height. Either you're fatter(face it people) or you carry around more muscle weight than they do!

Which is basically, the truth. The one exception would be that people of certain ethnic backgrounds do have denser bone structures, however...it's not going to put you in the 'overweight' category if you were square in the middle of 'normal'.

Ahh well...sometimes it's amazing what irritates people on this forum, you know?
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I guess the next saying will be that "Oh, I'm just too short for my weight."

I LIKE!!! Ever see the Cheers episode where Sam asks Norm what he's up too and Norm replies, My ideal weight if I'm 7'2"? Hilarious!!! ME TOO!!!!

I love it ~ :drinker: NOOORRRRMMMMMM!!!!