Treated differently after weightloss

Options

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much people's perceptions of how much different they are being treated is dependent on their confidence level when they lose the weight.

I no doubt thing that obese people are looked at differently, just as taller men are and how better looking people are as well.

But I also believe if you show that you are confident in yourself, some of that goes away even if your obese, short or not the best looking.

That is what I was thinking also. When I was 500 lbs, I assumed everyone was staring at me and thinking things about me and maybe they were. I made myself miserable worrying about what other people were thinking of me. Now I do not much care. I live my life and if you do not like the way I look then turn away.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    reverse for me... more attention at over 300lbs.. nw that im in the 170's to 180's i get no attention at all. i guess cause theirs nothing remarkable about me now.. im just a regular fish in the sea.. and I no longer have a big butt or large breasts so no one is paying any attention.. lol

I just want to say you look great. I would kill to have your before body, but you look great before and after.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Visage999 wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I'm bisexual, but I honestly don't feel threatened by other women. I admire them. I want to be a light in the world, so I smile at people, am kind to them. Strong women don't bring each other down. That's a sign of weakness, I've realized. If another individual feels the need to tear another human being down, in order to feel better about themselves, that is because they're weak. Strong people don't need to feed off of other people's pain in order to feel good.

But, yeah. I'm TRULY so happy to be on this journey. I feel like I'm LIVING my life now, rather than just existing. But the struggle is SO. REAL. when it comes to the sheer toxic animosity I receive on a daily basis from other women. I honestly thought it was a myth, to some degree. But, no. It's definitely, absolutely, very, very real, haha. I live it every day.

You keep doing what you're doing; you're doing wonderfully and I think your grasp of the situation is exactly right. Keep talking about it, too! It's the only way we can work against this deeply-ingrained women-hating-women nonsense. Women need to support other women, or at least not serve as yet another hindrance. It's tough enough without us tearing each other to shreds for no appreciable reason.

I was treated horrendously by a co-worker for years. She was abusive about my weight, my spouse, my work, my income level, my background... really whatever she could. Weight was her favorite because I suspect she was insecure about hers--though she didn't have a noticeable weight problem. I'm sure if I'd lost the weight while we were still working together, she would have either always talked about weight with me to shame me or she would have found something else to be cruel about. It only ever bothered me because it seemed unfair that she hated me for no real reason and went out of her way to be viscous. I liked her aside from her senseless rage towards me, if that makes any sense!

Has anyone read the new Roxanne Gay book, Hunger?

Not yet, but I have a hold placed on it at my library. Hoping it's available soon. Have you read it already?
  • cheers2205
    cheers2205 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Haven't really noticed a difference but then again I take up a lot of room metaphorically speaking. Always being the shortest kid (with glasses) and on the round end of the spectrum, I had to develop a killer personality to satisfy my deeply social nature. As an adult, I am the person that random strangers will tell the most random things to (a friend said I have bubbles over my head that attract this kind of interaction).

What I do want to go on a bit about is the comments regarding how women treat other women (negatively). Although I haven't experienced it (outside of personality mismatches and random cat fights), it deeply concerns me and I'd like to understand it more, and figure out how to put an end to it. I do notice other women's bodies, but in admiration-like "wow, I wish I had her shape" or "those legs are fantastic". I know it's naïve to think everyone should be positive and respectful of everyone else but can't we at least try?!? Maybe if we project our own positivity on others it'll catch? Hate breeds hate. I choose to believe positivity & encouragement are equally contagious. Sorry about the long post!!
  • revowens
    revowens Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    After losing more than 100lbs, I definitely received many great words of encouragement. But I also had some negative remarks, mostly from some family members. Those were very hurtful after all my hard work.
  • rajeshvvcool
    rajeshvvcool Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    MzHill08 wrote: »
    I don't feel like I get treated much differently but *I* definitely feel different and therefore see things differently. For instance, the larger I am, the more I believe people are talking about me or making fun of me but that isn't necessarily true, it's because of how *I* feel.

I second that. But definitely I feel more confident now.

Check out my success story -

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10511781/fat-to-fit-6-packs-just-2-inspire/p1
  • maxinebeatrice
    maxinebeatrice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    well, it depends on the crowd you're in. like me, when Im around people who are the same race as me, they make fun of me. they point out that i'm bigger than the usual. it's just asian women tend to be smaller and im not. but when I'm with other race they always make me feel contented with my body. like how they say they like thick women or that you're not fat. well bad for me, I'm always around the wrong crowd so I feel like crap.
  • NelwynnValala
    NelwynnValala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey ek0513. :-)

Your problem regarding your sister might not entirely be weight-related. Google 'Scapegoat/Golden child'. It's not an unfamiliar family dynamic and yes, it is real. Experienced it myself. It's not your fault or even your sisters, it's just the way some families operate. I have found that a lot of people I met who suffer from low self-esteem/weight problems grew up in such an environment.

It might take some time for this info to sink in, because it can be a painful realisation. Or it might not apply to you at all. But I hope this helps you on your journey and if not, maybe someone else. :-)
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I believe my story is a bit different. I'm petite and my weight has ranged a lot (45 pounds in between highest and lowest weight). I also had an eating disorder. When I'm curvier, I think I attract more attention and when I was severely underweight, people would stare but I would sometimes still get hit on.
    It's strange.
  • ek0513
    ek0513 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey ek0513. :-)

Your problem regarding your sister might not entirely be weight-related. Google 'Scapegoat/Golden child'. It's not an unfamiliar family dynamic and yes, it is real. Experienced it myself. It's not your fault or even your sisters, it's just the way some families operate. I have found that a lot of people I met who suffer from low self-esteem/weight problems grew up in such an environment.

It might take some time for this info to sink in, because it can be a painful realisation. Or it might not apply to you at all. But I hope this helps you on your journey and if not, maybe someone else. :-)

Thank you for commenting on this. I wouldn't say my family dynamic is extremely concerning, but there is definitely a bit of favoritism towards my older sister. I'd just like to know if my family's favoritism started before or after I gained weight as a kid.
  • its_me_april
    its_me_april Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic...I've been obese, very thin and everywhere in between in my life. I can say that I definitely got more attention from males when I began losing weight in high school. Maybe some jealousy from other girls, but mostly positive feedback and attention, especially from the "cool" girls lol...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!